Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (Update hold drafts get posted here first.)
<<2345
Page 6 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (0)  
Oh, I get it now.

I accidentally carried over the position at end of 4th turn last cycle instead of 5th. Will fix this right up. Stand by for new hold.

-Erik

10-31-2005 at 05:58 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: Smite to the Death - Cycle 12.hold (17.9 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Public Domain
Updated 11-12 cycle hold to fix problems.

-Erik

10-31-2005 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+1)  
No, no, that still seems incorrect.

Yeah.

-_-

10-31-2005 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I don't know if you're joking or not. Please, if it is incorrect, say what is incorrect.

-Erik

10-31-2005 at 08:13 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Standings after Cycle 11 (0)  
wallu wrote:This kill secured that #4 Alneyan can't win the game but he can still raise to second position.

Yeah, as if! I can still win the game. What, you mean I *don't* get a bonus if I'm the last man standing? Bleach.

Well, if I can't win, I should prevent Stuart from doing that too. I'm mean that way. All I need to do is build up my courage to challenge him head first.
10-31-2005 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Technically, you don't have to be the last man standing to claim this bonus: you could simply get squeezened, thereby preventing anyone else from killing you.

I was only kidding: I know all is lost for me, but it's not as if I had much of a chance of winning before to begin with (on the previous turn, or the one before that one, or...).
10-31-2005 at 03:52 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
But every bomb suicider, lame duck, people who got separated from the others and people who've falled from the battlefield get that "bonus" too.

I'm 3 cycles behind updating the hold and there's homework to do. :yawn
10-31-2005 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Mattcrampy wrote:

Yeah.

-_-

:P He wishes it was incorrect. Strange how everyone wants some sort of rule change when they realise they can't win.

Click here to view the secret text

10-31-2005 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
ErikH2000 wrote:
I don't know if you're joking or not. Please, if it is incorrect, say what is incorrect.

No, I was joking. My deliberate omission of what was actually wrong with the hold and that little smilie face was designed to make it clear that I was trying to cheat.

I'll grow, and move on, and someday we'll look back on this and laugh. Although, between you and me, I was kinda sick of submitting commands.

10-31-2005 at 08:54 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Mattcrampy wrote:

Yeah.

-_-
As consolation, you can have a mod point (always useful ;)) and one of these which should be useful for preventing this situation from ever occuring again.
10-31-2005 at 09:04 PM
Mattcrampy
Yes, I'm still haunted by that one time I was attacked by a swarm of spoons. Thank you for the weapon, I shall be sure to use it against any more swarms of spoons.

10-31-2005 at 10:30 PM
Kevin
Rank Points: 262
I'm confused about the squeezening. My understanding of the original rules was that in the cycle 8 hold, which shows the moves of cycle 7, the sand tiles show the squares that will become pits at the beginning of cycle 8 (which is the end of cycle 7). The squares one square away from the sand tiles will become pits at the beginning of cycle 9 (the end of cycle 8). If a player's commands submitted for cycle 8 end one square in from the sand tiles, that player would be squeezened, because the squares one square away from the sand tiles become pits at the end of cycle 8. When I say "sand tiles" I mean the squares that appear as sand tiles in the cycle 8 hold, which is the hold people are looking at when deciding their cycle 8 moves.

If I'm correct that this is how the rules originally worked, then I don't see why they need to be changed. I also don't see how anyone would have already been squeezened using the old rules. I was pretty close to the edge at the end of cycle 9, but I don't think I would have gotten squeezened. In the cycle 9 hold (which shows the commands of cycle 8), the southern sand tiles are just below the southern force arrows. This means that at the end of cycle 9, the squares one square away from the sand tiles (which would be the force arrows and walls at the south end of the room) become pits, and the squares above that don't become pits until the end of cycle 10. I was on one of these squares at the beginning of cycle 10, but not at the end of cycle 10, so I don't see how I would have been squeezened.
10-31-2005 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Instead of figuring out how it was and what might have been, I'd rather keep things simple and just say what the rules are. Or maybe I'm just being lazy. Anyhow, the rules are:

Squeezening occurs immediately after the 5th turn of any cycle. The sand tiles shown at the beginning of that cycle will then be removed. As long as you aren't on the sand tiles at the end of your 5th turn, you'll be safe from squeezening.

-Erik

10-31-2005 at 10:47 PM
Kevin
ErikH2000 wrote:
Squeezening occurs immediately after the 5th turn of any cycle. The sand tiles shown at the beginning of that cycle will then be removed. As long as you aren't on the sand tiles at the end of your 5th turn, you'll be safe from squeezening.

Using cycle 11 as an example, does this mean that at the end of cycle 11, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 11 hold will be removed? Or does it mean that at the end of cycle 11, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 12 hold (which shows the commands of cycle 11) will be removed.
10-31-2005 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Kevin wrote:
Using cycle 11 as an example, does this mean that at the end of cycle 11, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 11 hold will be removed? Or does it mean that at the end of cycle 11, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 12 hold (which shows the commands of cycle 11) will be removed.
To be clear, when I say the "cycle 11" hold, I mean the hold that shows the performance of cycle 10 commands and ends showing the starting player positions of cycle 11. (Pretty sure you meant that too.) With that definition in mind...

The sand tiles shown in the cycle 11 hold will be removed after the 5th turn of cycle 11, and that removal will first be visible in the cycle 12 hold. So the first way you expressed the rules ("at the end of cycle 11, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 11 hold will be removed") is correct.

-Erik

10-31-2005 at 11:30 PM
ErikH2000

File: Smite to the Death - Cycle 13.hold (18.2 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's the hold showing cycle 12 commands leading up to cycle 13.

Stuart gets squeezened hopefully by choice and not confusion.

Alneyan, I'm not sure why you sent me four "1"'s. They just bump you against the bottom edge.

-Erik

11-02-2005 at 03:09 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Woohoo! Third place! Only one player remains who isn't already ranked above me, and there aren't enough kills out there for him to catch up!

11-02-2005 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
ErikH2000 wrote:
Stuart gets squeezened hopefully by choice and not confusion.
Confusion. Poop. I was basing my moves on the previous map, rather than predicting the shape of the next map :? Dumb eh? At least I broke even, which I certainly didn't expect :)

And whaddya know, a clear explanation right up there above me :selftwak

[Last edited by StuartK at 11-02-2005 03:33 AM]
11-02-2005 at 03:29 AM
StuartK
...which I did previously skim read and then falsely assumed I had it all straight, rather than reading it properly and knowing I didn't. So, I *really do* only have myself to blame here.
11-02-2005 at 03:40 AM
StuartK
My final stumbling act it seems is to pretty much guarantee Kevins demise by sword or squeezening. Unless that is, the guys on the right just go for each other, rather than the guaranteed kill... Oops.

[Last edited by StuartK at 11-02-2005 04:13 AM]
11-02-2005 at 04:12 AM
Kevin
I think I'm still not understanding the squeezening rules.
ErikH2000 wrote:
The sand tiles shown in the cycle 11 hold will be removed after the 5th turn of cycle 11, and that removal will first be visible in the cycle 12 hold. So the first way you expressed the rules ("at the end of cycle 11, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 11 hold will be removed") is correct.
I was assuming that players wouldn't get squeezened unless they stand on a sand tile on the turn that it is removed. According to these rules, the sand tiles shown in the cycle 13 hold will not be removed until the 5th turn of cycle 13. The moves for cycle 13 have not yet occurred, so I don't understand why StuartK doesn't have another 5 moves to get away from the square he's standing on.
11-02-2005 at 04:21 AM
ErikH2000
Wait, wait! I'm sorry!

No, Stuart doesn't get squeezened. He's got 5 turns to get away from the perimeter.

I'm really not the right guy to do these updates. I can't keep it all straight. :(

-Erik

11-02-2005 at 06:03 AM
Mattcrampy
I'd volunteer, but then I'd probably start raising people from the dead.

For example, me.

11-02-2005 at 06:08 AM
Alneyan
ErikH2000 wrote:
Alneyan, I'm not sure why you sent me four "1"'s. They just bump you against the bottom edge.

I swear, if I find the guy who made my commands, I will give him the slap of his life. Now have you seen myself? (I had intended to use 4, of course, going straight for Stuart)

Of course, perhaps not moving *was* a better solution. At least that way, I'm confusing everyone - mostly myself, though.
11-02-2005 at 06:35 AM
StuartK
Surely it's not April Fools already? That would be an impressively elaborate prank if it was. Sure looks like November from where I am.

Now of course I'm embarassed about *not* being dead :blush

I'm sure Kevin will soon fix that ;)
11-02-2005 at 10:40 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
ErikH2000 wrote:
Wait, wait! I'm sorry!

No, Stuart doesn't get squeezened. He's got 5 turns to get away from the perimeter.

No, you were right the first time - the squares that are sand in cycle X are the ones that are removed in the end of cycle X. It is now the end of the cycle, and Stuart is on a sand square. Thus, he is squeezened.

If he isn't, that's inconsistent with everything you've done so far - for one, that will mean that no squares were squeezened this turn.

11-02-2005 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
:frankie
11-02-2005 at 12:36 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
eytanz wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Wait, wait! I'm sorry!

No, you were right the first time - the squares that are sand in cycle X are the ones that are removed in the end of cycle X. It is now the end of the cycle, and Stuart is on a sand square. Thus, he is squeezened.

If he isn't, that's inconsistent with everything you've done so far - for one, that will mean that no squares were squeezened this turn.

Yeah. :/ The reason I asked about the squeezening again because I wanted to know if the sand tiles disappear before turn 1 or after turn 5 of the cycle. It would of meant that Kevin would of died on Cycle 10, and Alneyan and I would of died on Cycle 12. That's isn't that case as they go at the end of the 5th turn, so StuartK has to die or no squeezening occurs.

Sorry, Stuart.

Click here to view the secret text

11-02-2005 at 02:56 PM
StuartK
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+2)  
/all joking aside

Yes, I was squeezened - it couldn't work any other way. So my original posts stand.

The easiest way I've found to think about it is that there will always be an edge disappear at the start of each cycle (the one currently highlighted) and another at the end of each cycle (the one inside that, and not highlighted) Only one edge disappears between each cycle. After the end of the cycle, and before the start of the next cycle are the same thing.

[Last edited by StuartK at 11-02-2005 06:48 PM]
11-02-2005 at 06:46 PM
Alneyan
Let me see if I got all of that straight:

- StuartK is now quite thoroughly dead, and won't come back from the dead. I told you I would get ya!
- I am still alive, so I will have even more opportunities of screwing up. Don't worry, I got three of my last four commands wrong, so I shall not stop while obviously doing so well (I must have an in-built cloaking device).
- I have about as much impact as your average old pair of socks as regards my rating: no matter what, everything I do won't help me one bit. Well, except for my legacy.
- Still, I can play kingmaker, by helping either contester to win it all. Of course, the only thing I can get right is a suicide: anything else is bound to backfire.

By the way, I will give a series of lectures in Survival 101 from next week onwards: if I managed to outlast almost everyone while displaying about as much cunning as a dead roach, someone actually thinking every once and a while should be able to do *very* well indeed thanks to my training. Tuition fees available upon request, but nothing is written in stone (stone is way too expensive these days).

[Last edited by Alneyan at 11-02-2005 08:18 PM]
11-02-2005 at 08:17 PM
<<2345
Page 6 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (Update hold drafts get posted here first.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com