Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Holds "corrupted" at import (including my hold !)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Holds "corrupted" at import (0)  
Hey

When first version of JTRH came out, I downloaded it and never patched it.
I also made a hold using that install.

If I try to load a hold into that install, about 1/3 of JTRH holds are said to be "corrupted" when importing.
-----------
I downloaded and installed Linux version of JTRH yesterday.
(2.0.8, seems like 2.0.9 patch requires full version; I don't know if it's safe to rename drod-jtrh-demo to drod-jtrh and run patch).
Guess what ? I still can't load many holds !
And I can't load my own hold ! It may be just several rooms, but I already lost it one time and had to rebuild most from stratch. I didn't have the patience to recreate the room which took longest to polish. And there's a room with dozens of doors and orbs - I can recreate it from screenshot, but it's going to be painful.
------------

Holds I can't import include:
Pelcho's Puzzles (or similar)
Dodecahedral Hold
The Final Confrontation
The Domain of the Grinfidel
Diago's Dungeon a Delver's Delight
The Puzzlebox
The Palace of Puzzles - JTRH Remake 1.0

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
09-18-2005 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Holds "corrupted" at import (0)  
b0rsuk wrote:
When first version of JTRH came out, I downloaded it and never patched it.
If I try to load a hold into that install, about 1/3 of JTRH holds are said to be "corrupted" when importing.
There was at least one import bug in the early release builds of JtRH that has been fixed in the patches. I would recommend downloading the latest version in order to download the more recent holds.
I downloaded and installed Linux version of JTRH yesterday.
(2.0.8, seems like 2.0.9 patch requires full version; I don't know if it's safe to rename drod-jtrh-demo to drod-jtrh and run patch).
No, that's probably not safe. I recommend not using the 2.0.8 patch on your older demo version. Instead, just download the full 2.0.9 Linux demo version.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-19-2005 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
mrimer wrote:
No, that's probably not safe. I recommend not using the 2.0.8 patch on your older demo version. Instead, just download the full 2.0.9 Linux demo version.

I tried applying the 2.0.9 patch to the linux demo, but it wouldn't let me.

I think the version of the linux demo that's available on the site is 2.0.8 (as of about 5 days ago, anyway). Is there a 2.0.9 linux demo or a patch file to patch the demo from 2.0.8 to 2.0.9 available somewhere?

09-19-2005 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Avast! The Linux demo setup download should be 2.0.9. (There be no patch for the demo version of 2.0.9 yet, fer some tekh-nee-kull reasons that I din't get around to fixin' yet :blush). Yarr.

Guess what ? I still can't load many holds !
Does this happen in Windows too, or just Linux ?

- Gerry
09-19-2005 at 06:46 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Holds "corrupted" at import (+1)  
Okay, I fixed the 2.0.9 demo link for Linux. It should give you the full 2.0.9 demo setup now.

-Erik

09-20-2005 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
My Mum installed the Windows demo last week, and she tells me it is version 2.0.8 as well.

She likes puzzles, so I was emailing her about some of the puzzles in one of the puzzle holds, and she was solving them in MS Paint.

One day she asked if there wasn't some way of playing these puzzles on the computer so I told her about DROD. But she doesn't like "games with keys". She would much rather be able to use the mouse. Nothing clever like route planning, just the ability to click in a square next to Beethro and have him move there would do the trick, with left mouse botton to rotate CCW, and right to rotate CW.
09-21-2005 at 12:35 AM
mrimer
Chris wrote:
Nothing clever like route planning, just the ability to click in a square next to Beethro and have him move there would do the trick, with left mouse botton to rotate CCW, and right to rotate CW.
And click with which button to move?

09-21-2005 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
It could be done. Left-click to get orb info and such (like current), right-click to move (including wait), mouse wheel up for CCW, mouse wheel down for CW. Maybe even middle click to restore, and, for people with mice with those nice extra buttons, left side-button to exit to menu and right side-button for undo. :)

- Gerry
09-21-2005 at 01:56 PM
Chris
mrimer wrote:
And click with which button to move?

I really didn't think this through, did I!

But I quite like Gerry's idea of using the mouse wheel to rotate the sword. Probably left click to move and right click for the orb information would be better, what with movement being very common, and getting orb information being much rarer. Perhaps even make the mouse controls configurable like some of the keyboard controls currently are.
09-21-2005 at 03:00 PM
b0rsuk
The "and never patched it" part referred to my struggles to copy my own hold from one install to another.

Currently I'm using 2.0.8 linux demo. 2.0.9 patch complains that there's no drod-jtrh-bin file (because in demo it's named drod-jtrh-demo.bin)
....and the problem still occurs with listed holds.

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-21-2005 05:13 PM]
09-21-2005 at 05:11 PM
ErikH2000
Chris wrote:
But I quite like Gerry's idea of using the mouse wheel to rotate the sword. Probably left click to move and right click for the orb information would be better, what with movement being very common, and getting orb information being much rarer. Perhaps even make the mouse controls configurable like some of the keyboard controls currently are.
I worry about making a cumbersome mouse interface that causes people who gravitate toward the mouse to judge DROD unfairly. At least with no mouse interface, it will be obvious that playing with the keyboard is necessary and the keyboard interface will be discovered. I know there are many people out there that prefer the mouse, but not every game should be played with one.

On the other hand, if a decent mouse interface could be made, that would be cool.

-Erik

09-21-2005 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
How about support for the new Nintendo controller clones which will inevitably appear on the market for sword swinging? You'll be able to tell DROD players by the fact that their right arm is significantly more muscular than their left :o) Combine it with a dance mat and you'll be cooking ;)
09-21-2005 at 06:45 PM
ErikH2000
b0rsuk wrote:
Currently I'm using 2.0.8 linux demo. 2.0.9 patch complains that there's no drod-jtrh-bin file (because in demo it's named drod-jtrh-demo.bin)
....and the problem still occurs with listed holds.
B0rsuk, can you install the 2.0.9 demo (I made it available yesterday) and import your player and holds into it?

-Erik

09-21-2005 at 06:49 PM
b0rsuk
I'll try, but I forgot to say the same holds were impossible to import to (ancient) windows version.

09-22-2005 at 06:57 AM
b0rsuk
2.0.9 linux demo - holds mentioned above still look like corrupted.

09-22-2005 at 07:47 AM
mrimer
b0rsuk wrote:
2.0.9 linux demo - holds mentioned above still look like corrupted.
I tried importing "Dodecahedral Hold" with 2.0.10/11 and it worked for me. Maybe there is a bug that will be fixed for you when the next Linux patch comes out.

11-22-2005 at 02:33 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Holds "corrupted" at import (including my hold !)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com