Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Impossible star (A little problem...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged
icon Re: Impossible star (0)  
oh i feel like such an idiot!

How do you guys do that? give me a hint that will accually help me :(

it took me 10 minutes to find a 9-triangle solution and i didn't test it yet so it might even be impossible...........

-Insane
09-21-2005 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Rank Points: 144
Insane wrote:
How do you guys do that? give me a hint that will accually help me

I originally misread your request and posted the solution, but I realised you're looking for a hint, not the solution, so:

Click here to view the secret text

That should help.
09-21-2005 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
hi there,

I thought about the star problem. And I found several solutions witch are all possible, but I fear ther're not all allowed according to the rules canon of this puzzle. So I would like to ask:

(Don't continue to read if you still wanna try alone!!!)

Must the two added lines be straight? E.g. drawing a single circle around the star could solve the prob. And what about the mathematical statement about two (paralell) lines crossing in infinity? Does such stuff count?

Greetings and a nice sunshiny day to all of you.
-insane's cousin

[Last edited by Insane at 09-21-2005 04:44 PM]
09-21-2005 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
icon Re: Impossible star (-1)  
besides: how many solutions are there anyway? I found 3 (or infinite if you allow slalom).

But you are right. It takes quite some time to solve this thingy especially If you have a TOO SMALL PICTURE!!!!!!!
What did you say? 30 min? I for sure've beaten that.

sunshiny greetings from
-Insane's cousin

:P

[Last edited by Insane at 03-18-2006 11:53 AM]
09-21-2005 at 04:43 PM
Chris
Insane wrote:
Must the two added lines be straight?
You have to add 2 straight lines.
drawing a single circle around the star could solve the prob.
Only if your definition of 'triangle' includes shapes with curved sides!
And what about the mathematical statement about two (paralell) lines crossing in infinity?
Triangles don't have parallel sides, no.
besides: how many solutions are there anyway?
There are an infinite number.

You can solve this puzzle without any kind of trickery. You don't need to resort to bent sided triangles of infinite dimension. :)
09-22-2005 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
Chris wrote:
You can solve this puzzle without any kind of trickery. You don't need to resort to bent sided triangles of infinite dimension. :)
Actually, if you consider a circle to be a polygon with an infinite number of infinitely small edges (at the limit), then you actually don't have a "triangle" if one of its "edges" is an arc of a circle.

09-28-2005 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
However you chose to consider a circle, I still don't think you can get away with saying that triangles can have curved sides. Not in polite company anyway.
09-28-2005 at 12:08 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
If an arc of a circle is made up of an infinite number of infintesimally small line segments, then creating a polygon by connecting the endpoints of the arc with one or more straight lines would result in a "polygon" with an infinite number of sides, most of which would be infintesimally small. Since a triangle has 3 sides, this "polygon" would not be a triangle.

Of course, we all seem to be thinking very planely. If you move to spherical geometry in which lines are great-circles of a sphere, then all triangles are made up of 3 non straight lines.

[Last edited by stigant at 09-28-2005 01:22 AM]
09-28-2005 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Chris wrote:
However you chose to consider a circle, I still don't think you can get away with saying that triangles can have curved sides. Not in polite company anyway.

Spherical geometry, Chris.
10-03-2005 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
icon Re: Impossible star (-1)  
Insane wrote:
besides: how many solutions are there anyway? I found 3 (or infinite if you allow slalom).

But you are right. It takes quite some time to solve this thingy especially If you have a TOO SMALL PICTURE!!!!!!!
What did you say? 30 min? I for sure've beaten that.

sunshiny greetings from
-Insane's cousin

:P

Sorry for reviving and old topic such as this, but I consider it very rude to mod down a post I didn't write myself.

-Insane
03-20-2007 at 05:28 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Impossible star (+1)  
Sorry for having an opinion, but I think it's pretty appropriate in this case. By the looks of it, you gave someone access to your account for whatever reason. This means the responsibility for their actions rests solely upon your shoulders.

03-20-2007 at 09:41 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
You can't mod down posts that you made yourself, you can only mod down other peoples'.

But seriously, quit complaining. Don't let your cousin use your account if you not prepared to take the consequences for what they post.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 03-20-2007 10:04 PM : 'postroph']
03-20-2007 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I agree. I won't mod down what insane's cousin said.

I will, however, mod Insane down for being a /dork/, which he just was.

03-20-2007 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I just want to add that it looks mighty suspicious that the "cousin" post was edited 5 months after the whole thread was dead. As Banjooie would say, there are some clever shenanigans going on...

03-20-2007 at 10:04 PM
Rabscuttle
I assume that Insane just bolded 'cousin'.
03-20-2007 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Oh yeah, it's 2007 now. In that case I think the edit (and any machiavellian machinations) are irrelevant.
03-20-2007 at 11:16 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
*stabs this thread to death with a spoon*

There, fixed.

03-21-2007 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Impossible star (A little problem...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com