Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Rare graphical glitch
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged

File: screenshot.png (43.6 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Other
icon Rare graphical glitch (0)  
On occasion, I've seen image corruption occur on the edge of the play screen. Both times so far it was the right edge, and both times, so far, it was while clearing tar. I don't know whether either of these were coincidences. The corruption does not occur consistently, since I played back a demo of the room I was in, and it did not occur the second time.

The second time I saw it, I did however grab a screenshot (attached) I've scrawled on it a little to help pinpoint the image corruptionin this example.
07-03-2003 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK

File: screenshot.GIF (75.7 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Rare graphical glitch (0)  
StuartK wrote:
The second time I saw it, I did however grab a screenshot (attached) I've scrawled on it a little to help pinpoint the image corruptionin this example.

That .png doesn't work on IE6 for me, so I've attached a .gif which should be a little easier to use.

And now the .png does work in IE6. Computers are wierd.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-05-2003 at 05:35 AM]
07-03-2003 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
Could it be Tar Babies' splatter? Have you tried killing other monsters in the right edge of the screen?

:~) don't have drod... :~)
07-03-2003 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Rare graphical glitch (0)  
Mister wrote:
Could it be Tar Babies' splatter? Have you tried killing other monsters in the right edge of the screen?

:~) don't have drod... :~)

I tried the same room again (level 24 1S2W, entering the enclosed area from the right) and got the same effect from killing tar and destroying walls. Made quite the mess. The effect occured when I was playing fullscreen, but not in windowed mode. After a tar baby kill or destroying a block of wall, the flying debris animation ran, and at the end of it, the screen corruption appeared, if I was close enough to the right of the screen.
07-04-2003 at 03:53 AM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Re: Re: Rare graphical glitch (0)  
StuartK wrote:The effect occured when I was playing fullscreen, but not in windowed mode.

Maybe related to the fact that those portions of the screen are not redrawn by drod unless you leave the screen and renter it. (actually, they are also redrawn when you move your cursor over them).

If you wiggle your mouse cursor over the glitch, does it correct itself?

You can observe this fact by alt-tabbing out of fullscreen drod while playing a room, then going back to it.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 07-04-2003 at 03:57 AM]
07-04-2003 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Re: Rare graphical glitch (0)  
StuartK wrote:
I tried the same room again (level 24 1S2W, entering the enclosed area from the right) and got the same effect from killing tar and destroying walls. Made quite the mess. The effect occured when I was playing fullscreen, but not in windowed mode. After a tar baby kill or destroying a block of wall, the flying debris animation ran, and at the end of it, the screen corruption appeared, if I was close enough to the right of the screen.

Upon further testing, I've also seen the corruption on the right edge without killing either tar babies or destroying walls, so that may be a red herring. I moved Beethro (his sword was over a normal wall) and shortly after (a few milliseconds delay) the corruption appeared. This doesn't happen every time he moves, and I still haven't pinpointed the exact cause.

This may be directly/indirectly related. My .player data has been snowballing in size it seems, and has been it seems since build 25 :( Currently at 180kB after completing Dugans Dungeon (endgame errors regarding missing demos) On the plus size, I've got a series of backups, but I don't really know at what point this corruption would have started, or if it was always present.
07-04-2003 at 07:54 AM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Rare graphical glitch (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
If you wiggle your mouse cursor over the glitch, does it correct itself?

Nope, the corruption is actually off the edge of the play area, in the grey border. If I wiggle my mouse cursor over it, if anything it gets slightly worse :D Moving between rooms, it stays there. The only way to get rid of it is to alt-tab, move from fullscreen to windowed, or go to the main menu and back again.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-04-2003 at 07:04 AM]
07-04-2003 at 08:02 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I've seen this happen before. I've put in a bug report for it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-05-2003 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Rare graphical glitch
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com