Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : WoTD - Contest Results. (Final results are in!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon WoTD - Contest Results. (+1)  
Yeah, the second part can only start mid-August for reasons that will be mentioned below, so I might as well provide a bit of closure for you.

Architects' poll was, for the most part, pretty fair and even. Entries number 1 and 12 I feel got their entries voted a little lower than they should have, although I'm sure it was because they didn't do much scripting. I would like to point out now that scripting *was* optional, but I'm sure some people voted based on that fact. Nevertheless, the results follow for the Architect poll:

Entry #1 - Tim - Claythro Tower, Fifth Story: Once East (3.818)
Entry #2 - Ander - Beethro's Dance of Death: Once South, Once East (7.455)
Entry #3 - Maurog - Treasure Hunt, The Horde: 1N1E (6.455)
Entry #4 - techant - Treasure Hunt, Tomb Vault: Once North Thrice West (5.636)
Entry #5 - Jacob - Veere's Dungeon, Veere's Dungeon: 4N2W (8.000)
Entry #6 - Doom - Contest Hold, Contest Level: One South, Twice West (7.273)
Entry #7 - techant - Beethro's First Job, 7th floor - Brainiac!: Once South, Twice East (6.000)
Entry #8 - Tim - Penthouse, The Snake Pit, 3N (6.000)
Entry #9 - Banjooie - rowrow's hold: how to keep idiots busy, Level 2: Once South (4.909)
Entry #10 - Doom - Phil's Dungeon, Fourth Level: 1N2E (7.364)
Entry #11 - Maurog - Tacker's Tower, Ground Floor: 1N (7.182)
Entry #12 - Mattcrampy - Labyrinthitis, Disorientation: 1 South (6.273)
Entry #13 - Rabscuttle - Unfortunate Architect Compilation, Snakey Geniuses!: 1S (7.000)
Entry #14 - Rabscuttle - Unfortunate Architect Compilation, A Total Conversion: 1N (6.182)

This means that Jacob snatches up top honours, Ander, in his second contest appearance, nabs up Silver, while Doom gets the lower spot on the podium. All of the entries deserved their victories well.

Jacob, however, only has 75 points in his pocket, as the winner from the Smitemaster side is on holidays until mid-August. Who is that? Well, read a couple more lines and you'll find out.

I had a total of four people enter, with two pairs of ties. The winner, in the event of a tie in points, was the person who sent them first, so timing was very important. Results are below:

HopelessAmateur - 42 points (Last email on July 21st)
TripleM - 42 points (Last email on July 25th)
vylycyn - 11 points (Last email on July 20th)
Mouse - 11 points (Last email on July 25th)

So, I'm sure that Mouse and TripleM learned the hard way that July 25th is a day of bad luck. So sorry!

However, HopelessAmatuer showed that his name has nothing to do with skills, as he nabbed first place. Heck, it was his first contest, too. TripleM gets second, and b]vylycyn gets third. Also, HopelessAmateur and TripleM get the 15 point bonus for getting all the rooms correct on their first try. Good job!

So, let's take a look at the current prize handout, shall we? Only one rookie bonus got handed out, I will add.

Jacob            - 100 Rank Points + Prize Pile Item.
Hopeless Amateur - 100 Rank Points + 100 Mod Points.
TripleM          - 65 Rank Points.
Ander            - 60 Rank Points.
Doom             - 25 Rank Points.
vylycyn          - 25 Rank Points.

And, of course, I'll be sure to let everyone know how the final part of the contest turns out. I have Jacob's rooms sitting on my hard drive right now, and they are simply evil. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 08-21-2005 06:03 AM]
08-02-2005 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: WoTD - Contest Results (0)  
*whistles* I got /pounded/ this contest. Maybe next time.
08-02-2005 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
So, did anyone try my entry 6 challenge?
I would've wanted to make some kind of scripted accomplishment thing, but unfortunately it seems to be impossible. I would've needed something like [wait for goblin] script for it to work.
08-02-2005 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I am really sorry this if off topic but I've meaning to ask it for a while:
Doom... Are you *the* Doom from N fame ? If so I am honoured to finally meet you! :)

(And now challenge you ;))
08-03-2005 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Err, no. Sorry to disappoint you :)

I registered into N a couple days ago as "LostSoul" which is my most common nickname at different places. I still like that game, but I'm not quite that good yet.

(If that's what you meant. I don't know anything about the "big names" in that game.

[Last edited by Doom at 08-03-2005 10:29 PM]
08-03-2005 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ander
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
icon Re: WoTD - Contest Results (+4)  
Technically, this is my SECOND contest appearance. I also entered a halfhearted attempt at the "Five-Suite Speaking Grounds" a long while back.
08-07-2005 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
D'oh! Missed your name on there! I appreciate your honesty, though.

08-07-2005 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
However, HopelessAmatuer showed that his name has nothing to do with skills, as he nabbed first place.
HopelessAmateur was struggling horribly with Bavato's Dungeon at the time. The name sticks at least until I get out of Bavato's. As I've been stuck on 'the collapsing floor' for about six months, that won't be any time soon :thumbsup
08-17-2005 at 08:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Ander wrote:
Technically, this is my SECOND contest appearance. I also entered a halfhearted attempt at the "Five-Suite Speaking Grounds" a long while back.
Technically this is also my second if you count signing up for "The Secret" and doing bugger all. If that doesn't count, I believe I'm a noob. :smile
08-17-2005 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
A-ha! I knew there was a rookie bonus that needed to be handed out. Altering the top post now.

08-17-2005 at 04:56 PM
gamer_extreme_101

File: Contest Finale.hold (4.1 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Other
icon Re: WoTD - Contest Results (+4)  
Well, the second part has been over for a couple of days, but deciding a winnner was a difficult task. Jacob's three rooms (Which are attached, for all you wondering), were very clever and hard to recognize. However, HopelessAmatuer, to my suprise, submitted three demos of the rooms.

However, there was a small problem in his email, and this is what caused the delay in announcements. His demos were perfect, but one of the rooms that he wrote in the message didn't match up to the demo. At first, I declared Jacob a winner to myself, but wondered whether or not it was simply a typo and I should let it slide. So, I went to Erik, explained the situation, and shot it right back at me. Thanks. Naw, he did make another offer, which I'll tell you about later.

So, the decision was back in my hands, and I was forced to slog through every PM and email I sent both Jacob and HopelessAmateur in regards to the rules about this contest. In the end, I realised that I used the word "Identify" a lot, and I then decided that since the original rules required the text writing of the hold to be worth something, it ultimatly made the biggest part in my decision. HopelessAmatuer, as much as I hate to do this, I'm giving your entry an 8/9 score, meaning that I'm giving Jacob first place. However, since it was so close I had to bring in a tiebreaker, Erik said that he's willing to give you a 100 mod point bonus for getting the demos and coming ever so close. Use them to you will, even to mod this post down to -60 if it makes you feel better - I don't care. This means you end up with a total of 100 rank points and 100 mod points. Good job to you!

Jacob, either post here or email me with your selection from the glorious Prize Pile, and I'll get you hooked up with whatever you need to get the prize shipped to you. And, of course, the bonus 25 rank points for being such an elabourate architect is yours as well.

And, for the record, here is the final list of prizes awarded:

Jacob            - 100 Rank Points + Prize Pile Item.
Hopeless Amateur - 100 Rank Points + 100 Mod Points.
TripleM          - 65 Rank Points.
Ander            - 60 Rank Points.
Doom             - 25 Rank Points.
vylycyn          - 25 Rank Points.

All in all, 375 rank points will be given out. Hoo-wee! Better bring out the plastic, Erik, because you're going to need a loan for that many points!Still, I hope everyone who entered had fun with this contest, as it'll probably be my last one for a while, as I start maintaining DROD.net. Still, I have fond memories of them all, and hope to run one again eventually.

And just to let you know, the first person to correctly guess all the rooms in Jacob's holds gets +5 rank points from me. Share the joy!

08-21-2005 at 06:03 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: WoTD - Contest Results. (+5)  
The rooms are:
Click here to view the secret text

08-21-2005 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
icon Re: WoTD - Contest Results. (+2)  
Bah!

How did I get the demos right and forget to change the text? Sounds 'hopeless' and 'amateur'.:bangin

100 Mod Points! Phenomenal Cosmic Powerrrr!

Thanks for a great contest. Will the rooms submitted become a 'WOTD Hold'?

Cheers!
08-21-2005 at 11:29 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: WoTD - Contest Results. (0)  
Wow, good job HopelessAmateur (and Stefan)! Shame that you got so close. I didn't actually expect to win that. I am curious as to what you wrote in the end. Here, have a couple of points from me too!
Thanks Patrick, that was a fun competition, nice idea and well organised.
I'll take a gander at the available prizes and get back to you shortly.

08-21-2005 at 12:53 PM
HopelessAmateur
Jacob wrote:
I am curious as to what you wrote in the end.
I got my 2E and 1N1Ws mixed up
Jacob wrote: Here, have a couple of points from me too!
Much obliged! Nice rooms. The first Architected rooms I looked at in the contest, given that the original Smitemasters' bit was simpler identify-AE-rooms stuff.

Bring on September's contest. :fun
08-21-2005 at 03:56 PM
gamer_extreme_101
HopelessAmateur wrote:
Jacob wrote:
I am curious as to what you wrote in the end.
I got my 2E and 1N1Ws mixed up
Actually, you wrote as your three guesses:
From what I can work out,
1E is Fortress of Eternity, The Fortress, 2 East
1N is Labyrinthitis Expanded, Disorientation, 1 North 1 West
1W is Beethro's First Job, 1st Floor Beetlejuice, 1 South.
That was the mistake that I noticed. Still, the demos were all good.

08-21-2005 at 04:38 PM
HopelessAmateur
The point is I got the demos correct and despite the fact that they have their exact locations as part of their filenames, I copied in the email what I had written on the printed room picture. What a dork.
08-21-2005 at 11:23 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Could I please get the HP Lovecraft book, given the Maus books are not available. Erik and Patrick should have my address.
Many thanks

08-23-2005 at 05:09 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Jacob wrote:
Could I please get the HP Lovecraft book, given the Maus books are not available. Erik and Patrick should have my address.
Many thanks
Jacob, I'll be happy to send it to you. Even though I've probably got your address somewhere, I basically always ask for a new address each time I mail something. I want to be perfectly sure I'm mailing to the right place. So please e-mail me your address, and I'll send you the book of Unspeakable Things Which Cannot Be Named, Let Aloned Fathomed.

-Erik

08-25-2005 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : WoTD - Contest Results. (Final results are in!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com