Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Design of caravelgames.com
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
IP: Logged
icon Design of caravelgames.com (+1)  
I just visited caravelgames.com today, and I noticed that the background is an image 1200 pixels wide, set to repeat in both directions. Since my monitor is 1400 pixels wide, I end up with a dark bar near the right side of the screen. It makes the text a bit more difficult to read, and it looks weird. (It's probably the most common web design mistake out there; I've lost count of how many times I've seen it.)

Anyway, I thought about how to fix it, and this seems to be the best solution:

First, split the image into two. One image containing the light main background, which should tile both vertically and horizontally, and one image containing the darker left-hand background, which should tile only vertically. Use the image with the main background as the background image for the entire page. The other image is then set as background image for the left-hand column. Since it's not transparent, it'll simply override the main background, and you'll have the design you wanted with fewer side effects. :)

07-24-2005 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Design of caravelgames.com (0)  
I know you are at one level absolutely correct, but...

Whenever I fix one problem another one appears someplace else. Can you show me working HTML for a caravelgames.com page? I basically understand how to do about any one particular thing in HTML/CSS. But when I combine things together and try to get them behaving consistently on IE/Firefox/Opera, I get really frustrated and end up doing something stupid simple like the repeating background you saw.

-Erik

07-24-2005 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Design of caravelgames.com (+2)  
Sure, it's not a big change. In the current source file for any page on caravelgames.com, you'll find the line:
<body style="margin: 0; padding-left: 0; padding-top: 8; padding-left: 0; padding-right: 0;" background="../ScreenPartImages/background.jpg" >

This is where the background image is referenced. This part is just fine. But first, you replace background.jpg with an image containing only the light background. Now, further down the file, you'll see this:

<!-- Left column -->
<td width="135px" valign="top">
[...]
</td>

This table cell contains the left column. It's here that you should add the new background image. To do so, change the second line thus:

<!-- Left column -->
<td width="135px" valign="top" id="leftbar">
[...]
</td>

In the file http://www.caravelgames.com/StyleSheets/basic.css, which is referenced as the stylesheet for this page, you add the following:

#leftbar
{
background: leftbar.jpg;
}

Make sure that leftbar.jpg is in the same directory as basic.css (so its full URL would be http://www.caravelgames.com/StyleSheets/leftbar.jpg).

By the way, how are the HTML and CSS for the pages generated?

07-24-2005 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
No need to do all that... You can simply add background-repeat: repeat-y; to the style of the body tag :)

Edit: Although that wouldn't repeat the background in the x-direction, it would make the background blank the rest of the way, so you might want to do what Watcher said anyway.

Note to self: Think, then post

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 07-25-2005 12:12 AM]
07-25-2005 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I'm not complaining or anything, but shouldn't the patches be on caravelgames.com in some orderly fashion? People really shouldn't harvest the forums for them patches, especially since the links point to caravelgames.com anyway. Some fat button pointing to patches along the "Games", "Forum" and "News" buttons would be nice. Or more modest button in each game page that would link to that game's latest patch.

07-25-2005 at 11:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
The latest patches are always here. And you can get a description of them here. Patches get announced on the forum, on the mailing list, and in the in-game marquee. I think we could use a link to the downloads section from CaravelGames.com, but I need to wait for some other things to be finished first.

-Erik

07-25-2005 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Design of caravelgames.com (+2)  
Phew...anyone who has been holding their breath for a Downloads button on the CaravelGames site may now breathe a sigh of relief! Kudos to skell for drawing up the new buttons.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-08-2012 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Design of caravelgames.com
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com