Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
weis
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West (0)  
Any hints here ?
I'm totaly stuck.
I tried isolating one of the goblins, then killing the them both
one at a time, but I then I'm stuck with the wall ghosts.
Help ?
07-14-2005 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mistweave
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West (+1)  
weis wrote:
Help ?
I think you need to:
Click here to view the secret text

If that's not enough, try:

Once you've cleared out one wall section, the rest is pretty easy - you can now approach the adjacent sections on the ends (because there's now only one seep that can approach the gap, not two). Just be careful to leave diagonals free to cross over your path where necessary.

07-14-2005 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ChrisB
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West (0)  
Mistweave wrote:
weis wrote:
Help ?
I think you need to:

If that's not enough, try:

Once you've cleared out one wall section, the rest is pretty easy - you can now approach the adjacent sections on the ends (because there's now only one seep that can approach the gap, not two). Just be careful to leave diagonals free to cross over your path where necessary.

Can anyone post a demo please - I' now feeling quite giddy goind round chasing goblins & geeting smacked by seeps.

Thanks

09-27-2005 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Cascade
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West (+2)  
I approached this in stages:

Another tip:

09-28-2005 at 08:38 AM
ChrisB
Rank Points: 58
Cascade wrote:
I approached this in stages:

Another tip:

:thumbsup Great thanks - it sometimes needs just that little bit of a push in the right direction and the hold becomes easier - on to 18th

Cheers
Chris

09-28-2005 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Cascade
Rank Points: 46
ChrisB wrote: :thumbsup Great thanks - it sometimes needs just that little bit of a push in the right direction and the hold becomes easier - on to 18th
Great to hear it, have fun! :)

Something I really liked about this room was the way the check point is "one use only". This is great because it's something in between no checkpoints (frustrating as hell) and a checkpoint right in the middle (makes it possible to relax and do the room in many increments). Adds pressure and forces care and planning without being too sadistic.

09-28-2005 at 04:08 PM
Kafka
Rank Points: 42
I don't remember how, but I completed JtRH without solving this room. I'm now clearing up the skipped and secret rooms, and have solved this and exited to level eighteen. However, when I get there, all the rooms I had previously solved are now marked as unsolved. And, when I get to a save point and step on it, I confirm that I want to re-solve level eiughteen and on; but it still marks this room as unsolved.

Am I doing something wrong?

[Last edited by Kafka at 04-18-2006 11:10 PM]
02-25-2006 at 02:35 PM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
It's because, when you restored back and played 16, then went on to 17, it was in a "time" when you hadn't done the levels beyond, so you lose your progress in those levels this particular restore.

So, you can't have both 17 and the rest of the levels solved at the same time. That's alright though, since if you solve the secret room on 17, it'll count as solved forever, no matter what restorations you do.

02-25-2006 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kafka
I don't understand Chaco's reply at all. I didn't "restore back and play level 16". I completed JtRH, up to level 25, and then tried to complete the rooms I had skipped. In other cases, doing this did not cause me to forfeit later rooms, and I can't believe that this is supposed to happen. If you are allowed to complete later levels without completing level 17, then why should you lose all of that later when you go back to complete level 17?

02-25-2006 at 06:58 PM
Chaco
Oh, you restored back to level 17. In that case, you still would lose progress in 18 and beyond, because when you were on 17 you hadn't played 18 yet.

It's just the way the restore system works.

Now, if you go back up a staircase, play a room you hadn't solved, and go back down, then you will keep your progress, as it's in the same "session".

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-25-2006 07:02 PM]
02-25-2006 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kafka
But that is not what happened when I restored, for instance, to level 22. And I can't believe that it is intended. If you can reach the end of the game without completing every room in a level, why do you then lose your progress in order to complete the earlier level?

[Last edited by Kafka at 04-18-2006 11:11 PM]
02-25-2006 at 07:17 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
That's not how the restore system works. Levels are completely independent of each other. Nothing you can do in level 17 should cause you to lose progress in level 18 or later.

However, if you use the stairs in 17 to go up to 18 you will always appear in an unsolved state. Check the restore screen. Clicking on other rooms should allow you to recover your progress.

If not, sounds like you've got a bug. Can you still access levels 19 through 25 from the restore screen?

[Last edited by KevG at 02-25-2006 07:39 PM]
02-25-2006 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
I think he can restore to them, but restoring to them would make level 17 unsolved.

However, it doesn't matter, as secret rooms don't follow this rule, and you will know yourself that, at some time or another, you solved all the JtRH rooms.

02-25-2006 at 07:38 PM
Kafka
Yes, that's exactly right. I can restore to levels 18 to 25; but then, level 17 is marked as unsolved. However, even if I continue through room 18, resolving until I get to a checkpoint, level 17 STILL appears as unsolved. Will I be able to enter the dreamplane after solving the remaining secret rooms, even with this room appearing unsolved?

02-25-2006 at 08:38 PM
Chaco
Yes, you will. Once you beat the secret room, it's beaten, no matter where you restore to.

02-25-2006 at 08:40 PM
Kafka
Well that's alright then. Or it would be, if I could find the secret room on level 17. I've walked all round the level several times, testing all the walls, and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone give me a subtle (or not so subtle) hint? Thanks.

By the way, can anyone tell me why, although I tick the box for email notification, I don't get notified of replies?

[Last edited by Kafka at 04-18-2006 11:09 PM]
02-25-2006 at 09:09 PM
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221

02-25-2006 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kafka
Thanks Kie,after lots of hunting, and finally restarting the room, I managed to find it. That room is deadly!

02-25-2006 at 11:11 PM
wiseoldman
Rank Points: 50

File: level 17 1w.jpg (19.1 KB)
Downloaded 80 times.
License: Public Domain
I am sure I would have no trouble getting to the exit to the next level but I can't seem to figure out how in the world to get by the 2 seeps that guard the main entrance. No matter how I enter the room or move in the hallway the 2 seeps always, and I mean alwasy, seem to line up as shown in this graphic. Therefore, I can't step between the two walls as they both jump me at the same time and there is no escape. I tried holding my sword at various angles, say SE and then moving to the SE but the S one still gets me. There must be one way that I am missing. Seems strange that I can't find the one way :?

I have stopped writting here and tried it again many times - no success naturally.
04-15-2006 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Hold your sword E and move NW or SW.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-15-2006 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
HA HA ... :lol

You know, I never tried that OBVIOUS solution!!!

Thanks ... guess I am getting too old to play this game :fun

I think I aveage about 2-3 calls for help per level, a few times less. But really fun to play and figure out. We shall see what happens on the next level. :huh
04-16-2006 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Yep, once I had the "obvious solution" to getting through the gate it was only about 3-4 trials to figure out how to get the stonemen and then the seeps on the walls. Very interesting puzzle...well thought out. I would be curious to learn how in the world the author(s) came up with the puzzles.

Thanks four help in this last hold of 17 ... on to 18 ... the question is, "Can an old man beat the slayer at the next level? Turn back in later and see :lol :thumbsup
04-16-2006 at 01:13 AM
sjschaffner
Rank Points: 30
I am still not able to finish this room. I would appreciate any help with demo.

Thank you
08-13-2006 at 12:22 AM
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121

File: JtRH Seventeenth Level 1W Victory.demo (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 194 times.
License: Public Domain
Not particularly "efficient" (nowhere near the top twenty) but . . . it's what I've got.
08-13-2006 at 12:52 AM
sjschaffner
Rank Points: 30
Thanks for your help.
I'm embarrassed to have to ask for it. Usually the hints are sufficient for me but my frustration level has peaked.

Thanks again
08-13-2006 at 01:31 AM
junglejane
Rank Points: 55
kie wrote:
I have completed the 25 levels and am going back to get all 100%, plus all secret rooms. I fine until I reach this level. I only show 90% and 0/1 secrets for 17. I cannot find anything in 2N1E other than 3N1E which I have completed. Please help me find the unexplored rooms. Why am I unable to determine on the map which rooms are secret rooms?

And How and Where and Who..... Rudyard Kipling
03-21-2007 at 01:30 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
junglejane wrote:
Why am I unable to determine on the map which rooms are secret rooms?

03-21-2007 at 01:53 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
junglejane wrote:
Why am I unable to determine on the map which rooms are secret rooms?
Deleted the hint I was preparing when I saw Briareos had already posted, but let me add two things to clarify your situation a little.

[Last edited by noma at 03-21-2007 02:08 PM]
03-21-2007 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
QueBarbara
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
I was so proud of myself for FINALLY killing both goblins and all the seeps . . . then I noticed the red door.

*Sigh*

That'll teach me to pay more attention.

10-09-2007 at 10:05 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West (-1)  
People, there is a Demo right here. Of course, if you want to be given gradual hints instead of having all spoiled for you, post away.
10-09-2007 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventeenth Level : 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com