Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : This isnt Software But.... (its still cool, Right? lol)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
roachman
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon This isnt Software But.... (+2)  
2 animated Gifs that you people could use as avitars or DRoD.net could use for some thing.

Yes, they are the same but they are diffrent sizes depending on how they are used

leave feedback Please!

EDIT: Caravel grants permission to anyone for redistributing the images found in this post.

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-08-2005 11:26 PM]
07-04-2005 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: This isnt Software But.... (+1)  
Sorry, but you can't use JtRH graphics. Its forbidden.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-06-2005 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Yeah, Jeff is right. But in this case, Roachman, I would just like you to ask permission first. So just send me an e-mail (erikh@caravelgames.com) and ask if you can post something on the forum that is based on JtRH's graphics. And I'll say "yes", but you still have to ask.

Nice job on the GIFs by the way. :thumbsup

-Erik

07-06-2005 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: This isnt Software But.... (0)  
Note that you can always use graphics from DROD: Architects' Edition for whatever you like without getting permission. All of the media in AE is public domain.

-Erik

07-06-2005 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roachman
if i have to ask permission, why are they given out with the program? (Resources => data => Bitmaps => generaltiles.png then u have all of them there.

o and heres an OSX bug: u can right-click on the osx app, then click "show package contents", navigate to resources => Data => Music. then u can steal the music that u sell sumwhere on this site.

[Last edited by roachman at 07-07-2005 12:13 AM]
07-07-2005 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
roachman wrote:
if i have to ask permission, why are they given out with the program? (Resources => data => Bitmaps => generaltiles.png then u have all of them there.
If you make something, then you get to say what can be done with it. That's the general principle, and it's more or less backed up by the laws of the country I live in and probably the one you live in. Simply making something available for one use doesn't mean it is available for all uses. Makes sense, right? Like if you buy DROD, you have all the files, but you haven't been given the right to make copies and give to all of your friends. All of the files we distribute with DROD are only for the person we give them to. (Okay, it's slightly more complicated than that, but that's why we have EULAs.)

The reason I hassle over this trivial case of you using JtRH graphics for some GIFs, is that I want to be consistent to avoid misunderstanding--not just with you, but everyone. Clayton recently posted some artwork from the game, and I asked him to add a permission statement to his post, because I don't want people thinking they can grab whatever they like from the game and redistribute it.

You can ask permission or take the graphics down.
o and heres an OSX bug: u can right-click on the osx app, then click "show package contents", navigate to resources => Data => Music. then u can steal the music that u sell sumwhere on this site.
Thanks, I'll check with Weston about that.

-Erik

07-07-2005 at 12:25 AM
roachman
o ok

07-08-2005 at 06:36 PM
Jeff_Ray...
But i don't have them. Why does roachman have them?

Is he talking of JtRH?

Jeff_ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-08-2005 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Roachman, I am taking your pics down. If you want to put them back up, then send me an e-mail requesting permission like I asked for earlier.

-Erik

07-08-2005 at 10:06 PM
roachman
ok, and will a pm work for an email? my email has been down for a while for some reason... :angry :thumbsdown :no

Jeff_Ray... wrote:
But i don't have them. Why does roachman have them?

Is he talking of JtRH?

Jeff_ray===

i have the pics from JtRH because i am playing on a mac, where i can go into a program's data with a right and a left click.

im not dissing windows, despite what ^ sounded like

[Last edited by roachman at 07-08-2005 11:06 PM]
07-08-2005 at 11:05 PM
ErikH2000
roachman wrote:
ok, and will a pm work for an email? my email has been down for a while for some reason... :angry :thumbsdown :no
Alright, this is just getting silly. Let me just recreate the conversation we would have had, so this doesn't take 5 years:

roachman: Can I post these graphics from JtRH on the forum?

erik: Yeah, sure, but just add the following text to your post, "Caravel grants permission to anyone for redistributing the images found in this post."

roachman: Okay, no problem. I'll add that to my post.

And now, to save time, I'll go edit the post to have that statement. Roachman, if you don't agree with any of this, just let me know.

-Erik

07-08-2005 at 11:22 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Oh, dude. I believe I may want to do something on this line except vaguely more complicated. :O
07-09-2005 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Seriously?

If you'd like to use some graphics from JtRH, then just e-mail me and ask for permission.

-Erik

07-09-2005 at 04:45 AM
Jeff_Ray...
I would like to edit JTRH graphics... how can i get the GeneralTiles.bmp file?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-09-2005 at 01:12 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: This isnt Software But.... (+2)  
http://www.geocities.com/banjooie/BeethroRotate.gif

Here because I don't have my hotlinking-allowing webspace access at the moment, and because adding more animated gifs to this thread would be bad.

Erik, I've emailed asking for permission, if you, uh, dislike that I've posted this first before you responded, I'm terribly sorry. I'm hoping it won't be too big of an issue.

And, uh, yeah, this is hopefully with permission of Caravel Games, and I hope I'm not thoroughly destroyed for it.

Edit: Ah, there we are. Caravel Games gives anyone permission to redistribute the graphics in this post.

All done now. I'd give it its own thread, but, y'know. :O Roach did it first, he deserves top billing.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 07-10-2005 07:21 AM]
07-09-2005 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
os x users get the graphics in seperate files? no fair!
07-13-2005 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Hey, Erik. If I wanted to be fancy and do some more of these, (because now I'm all inspired and whatnot), do I have to keep emailing you like, when I do every batch, or is the 'I am going to make animated gifs with JtRH and not use them for profit' email I sent at first good enough for you? :O
07-21-2005 at 07:06 AM
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
Hey, Erik. If I wanted to be fancy and do some more of these, (because now I'm all inspired and whatnot), do I have to keep emailing you like, when I do every batch, or is the 'I am going to make animated gifs with JtRH and not use them for profit' email I sent at first good enough for you? :O
I'm honestly having a lot of trouble with this. Not you in particular, Banjooie. Just the whole question of making derivative work from protected game graphics. Let me explain the general problem better. And also, my apologies for using your simple request to springboard into a rant. I'm not finding fault in you.

A lot of people are accustomed to grabbing graphics from other games and using them. Like you see movies generated from gameplay, screenshots with comic strip captions, game art on fan sites all over the place. The publishers and developers don't seem to care, and why would they? Creativity from fans like this really helps them out. But most times, they haven't really granted legal permission--the use is simply not causing them a problem so they unofficially allow it. Typically the unspoken boundary of acceptable use is just whether it's commercial or noncommercial. But still there are these corporations that are reserving the right to suddenly say "we don't like that mod you spent 2 months working on, so you'll just have to stop or get sued". I think this approach is terrible, and don't want to use it. It's bad because it promotes ignorance of legal rights. It's bad because someone who creates things based on other's work can't guard against their time being wasted when the creator unexpectedly objects.

Another approach that some companies use is to specify upfront what derivative works are allowed. To some extent, we've done this. The source code for DROD is all under one open source license. The media in DROD:AE was released into public domain. But then came along JtRH, a real commercial product, and we wanted something to be protected or any old buttinski could clone our project and start selling alongside us with 2 days of effort. It had to be the media. Can we also make some kind of general license that allows for fans to use the media? Yes, technically we could, but we'd need to take pains to distinguish all the allowed and disallowed uses. It requires time, legal expertise, and an exhaustive imagination for all the ways people can exploit allowed uses to produce something that competes against our products--both right now and ten years from now. We don't have the resources to do that. If we were Blizzard or Microsoft, sure, we'd just get a lawyer to spend a week on it, and then presto, a whole legal framework for fan-based creativity gets dropped into the EULA.

Which brings up the next problem. Suppose all that perfect lawyer magic has been carved into the EULA, who will read and understand it? Lawyers--that's who! Not Jeff Ray. Not Banjooie. Probably not even me. I hate that. Legal agreements should not be some kind of mystical pentagram you draw around your intellectual property to protect it. It should be something easily understandable.

It may take some time, but I have ideas involving use of the Creative Commons licensing to address these problems. In the mean time, people should still e-mail me for permission for posting (or otherwise distributing) works based on JtRH graphics and other media to which we've reserved rights.

Back to poor Banjooie, who is wiping spit off his face from all my excited ranting. Looking up the old e-mail I sent you... Okay, I grant permission for Banjooie to distribute other animated GIFs that use JtRH graphics under the same terms we discussed in e-mail.

-Erik

07-21-2005 at 08:51 PM
Banjooie
Yeah, that's why I was wondering about the careful protection. Blizzard doesn't even care if you outright take animations of their 3D models -- Their forums are full of people with Walking Peasant Avatars and the like.
07-22-2005 at 12:37 AM
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
Yeah, that's why I was wondering about the careful protection. Blizzard doesn't even care if you outright take animations of their 3D models -- Their forums are full of people with Walking Peasant Avatars and the like.
My understanding is that Blizzard has released some media on it's website for fan use. And you can use that content and screenshots in certain ways, but they can stop you from using it if they feel like it.

http://www.blizzard.com/legalfaq.shtml

I guess from what you say that people go beyond that use and Blizzard doesn't do much about it. That's not really a terrible approach. At least Blizzard set some ground rules, but then you see the selective enforcement which I don't like for reasons mentioned.

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 01:11 AM
Banjooie
It is sort of a nasty, nasty way of having your cake and eating it too, isn't it.
07-22-2005 at 02:33 AM
ErikH2000
Well, I don't want to sound too harsh about Blizzard. I hold it to their credit that they even have a legal FAQ.

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 02:45 AM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
roachman wrote:

I know that Erik has already given an explanation of why his permission is necessary. I would like to additionally point out that the various media do, of course, need to be present in some form in the beta distribution; otherwise it would not be able to draw the screen and play the sounds! Their presence (even if they were immediately apparent without any right-clicking) is hardly a reason to believe that you have any right to distribute animated gifs based on them without first asking for permission. It is unfortunate that I distributed them in a manner that led you to the wrong conclusion, and I apologise for that.

In short, this is an oversight on my part, for all of the media files that are present under the Resources directory. Thanks for reporting it! Those various data files should already be available from within the .dat files. I will hopefully release a new beta that uses these within a few days.

Weston

07-28-2005 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SuperV
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Huh? You have original GENERALTILES? Mah, i dont think is possible... You hacked Jtrh? You changed a C++ on Jtrh? Or you ripped by a screenshot for create the gifs?

I WANT ORIGINAL GRAPHICS!!!

SuperV hint : BUY JTRH!

[Last edited by SuperV at 07-29-2005 10:57 AM]
07-29-2005 at 10:55 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Three words can end this discussion:

IT'S...A....BUG!

No one is getting the original graphics handed down to them or anything like that. It was simply a matter of a small bug in the Mac OSX version that is, knowing Weston, being fixed as we speak.

And odds are that Banjooie used two screenshots, and made various poses by rotating the images at 90 degrees. At least that's how I would have done it.

I have a bit of experience in animated GIFs from the various ones I made way back in the day. Of them, my favourite is the classic "Mimic Death", which is about the only one that I actually would force Schik to add to the page.

Heh...such good fun.

07-29-2005 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
And odds are that Banjooie used two screenshots, and made various poses by rotating the images at 90 degrees. At least that's how I would have done it.

You are wise to my various ways, sir! :(

Also, it was somewhat more complicated than that because I had to produce the blood spurts and clear out the tiles because of the light layer of dirt and all that other stuff but yeah.

I didn't use generaltiles.png, I ripped 'em all via the power of Print Screen.
07-30-2005 at 05:15 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

please, can anyone help

jeff_ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-04-2005 at 07:40 PM
ErikH2000
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

please, can anyone help
We aren't distributing the GeneralTiles.bmp that comes with JtRH, so please don't ask for it. The DROD:AE tilesets are open for any use, and on the "Development" board there's some other tilesets like Flaming Peligroso, Sanctum 2, and Demoniak.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-04-2005 07:59 PM]
08-04-2005 at 07:59 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
ErikH2000 wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

please, can anyone help
We aren't distributing the GeneralTiles.bmp that comes with JtRH, so please don't ask for it. The DROD:AE tilesets are open for any use, and on the "Development" board there's some other tilesets like Flaming Peligroso, Sanctum 2, and Demoniak.

-Erik

Demoniak is a DROD:AE style, not a JtRH style, so it wouldn't be helpful to him.

08-09-2005 at 02:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : This isnt Software But.... (its still cool, Right? lol)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com