Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection (Where do I get it?)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection (0)  
Okay guys, I'm just going to confirm this for the record:

Things went slow with my downloads of KDD 2.0 and the choice AND when I began playing the first level of KDD 2.0 only because of my Pc. I am positive that it was nothing to do with CaravelNet. I simply can't play cool games like DROD and leave AOL connected at the same time. :no

This computer of mine...

08-03-2005 at 10:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
AlefBet spoke thus:
Could be. The file is still not all that big, though, so if that breaks, it would probably break some other internet applications as well, especially if they're file-oriented.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this. To be honest though, I think there's definitely a size issue which is mostly linear with the time taken to download hence the likeliness of a timeout issue.

I actually started thinking about which other applications I use which download files on port 80 whilst inplay over ~1MB.
To be honest, I can't think of any :unsure.
Then again, I'm old skool so usually the entire game itself fits on a floppy (let alone a level!) ;)

I'm thinking at this point of a header such as "content-disposition", which if set to "attachment" rather than "inline" could wait for the complete download.
The other, possibly more likely header is "the chunkable one" not being set. Guess it depends on your implementation, but with Java (say) it would be a chunkable stream. There's also a http equivalent header (though it escapes me at this point). This could reduce the download segment and hence not hit timeout - just a thought :)
08-03-2005 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eriktorbjorn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
KevG wrote:
Are these going to be added to the Caravel only area of the download section? It seems like it might be a good idea in case people keep having trouble downloading in-game.

I've been wondering that, too. I got a CaravelNet subscription included with the game, but the computer I play it on isn't connected to the Internet so despite what the news item said, I'm not a smug puppy.

Mind you, I still have quite a bit left to solve of the game anyway. ;)
08-13-2005 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection (+1)  
eriktorbjorn wrote:
KevG wrote:
Are these going to be added to the Caravel only area of the download section? It seems like it might be a good idea in case people keep having trouble downloading in-game.

I've been wondering that, too. I got a CaravelNet subscription included with the game, but the computer I play it on isn't connected to the Internet so despite what the news item said, I'm not a smug puppy.
Again, let me point out that releasing these two holds as actual files sets the Caravel Team up to piracy. Someone with a CaravelNet account could grab the file and post it on the internet, thus defeating the CaravelNet-only-ness of the holds. The best option is to just grab an internet connection for the 4-15 minutes it takes to download the two holds and then play them offline. Yeah, it sucks for people lacking internet right now, but it's the most secure way to do it.

08-13-2005 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
You know, you could just do some fancy hoodoo to make playing the hold require a legit caravel key.
08-14-2005 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
It couldn't test whether or not the key was legit without being connected to the Internet, which not everyone can constantly do.

There are some ideas in this regard, and I wish I could just explain them all, but Erik is the PR master and so we'll all have to wait for him to announce his plans.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-15-2005 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection (Where do I get it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com