Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection (Where do I get it?)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1126
IP: Logged
icon Smitemaster's Selection (0)  
I'm a CaravelNet subscriber, but can't find the place where the Smitemaster's Selections are.
Can someone help?

07-03-2005 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection (+1)  
Unless I've been missing it too, the first Smitemaster's Selection will be released this month.
07-03-2005 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection (0)  
I'm waiting, and waiting,...
Is there some news about smitemaster's selection?
Or am I just that supid that I don't see/find it?

PS I realy tried to be pasient, but ...
I failed :blush

07-22-2005 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Mike is adding voice samples into King Dugan's Dungeon and then we will release it. Not much longer! This month even!

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I gather Oneiromancer's hold will be released as part of this selection too? Or was it already released, and I missed it? My eyesight is not was it used to be, what with all that squinting at the screen to see those spiders. :rolleyes

Of course, the selection could be released later than this month. After all, who knows for sure if Erik is still following our boring, twelve-month year? For all we know, he could abide by Dugan's calendar, where months last for as long as the King chooses; I know I like that system, though not nearly as much as that "roll six dice and multiply the result by three; the current month will last for the number of days indicated by the result". *Rambles away*

Note that I am not impatient at all, considering that I have only conquered one hold of all thse lovely holds, and still have Rooted Hold to go, not to mention all these highscores to get. At most, I am merely curious about how Dugan will fare in Rooted Hold... say, that adorable room on level 8. :rolleyes

[Last edited by Alneyan at 07-23-2005 08:33 AM]
07-23-2005 at 08:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, The Choice will be released simultaneously with KDD2. In fact, it's all ready to go, but is waiting for KDD2 with the rest of us!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-23-2005 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Thanks!
07-23-2005 at 12:51 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
ErikH2000 wrote:
Mike is adding voice samples into King Dugan's Dungeon and then we will release it. Not much longer! This month even!

-Erik

That's great to hear. I'm really looking forward to it. :)

07-24-2005 at 04:55 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Smitemaster's Selection: Summer 2005 (+1)  
Our Summer 2005 edition of Smitemaster's Selection has been released on CaravelNet. It is available for download in-game in DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold via the "Change Location" screen when connected to CaravelNet. This edition contains a special two-hold package deal:

The Choice, by Neil Frederick (oneiromancer), an exciting and challenging hold fit for experienced smitemasters

and

King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0, by Erik Hermansen. This is a remade version of King Dugan's Dungeon using the 2.0 game engine, with many new contributions by the Caravel Team.

"CaravelNet users -- get them today!! This package is bursting at the seams with value. It's probably the worst sales arrangement I ever endorsed." -- Danforth Strout, the World's Greatest Salesman

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-05-2005 02:46 AM]
07-25-2005 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Man, now I seriously wish I had the money for it. Ah, well.
07-25-2005 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
When I try to download KDD2, it gets to the end of the bar and then closes the whole program. And when I reopen it, I can't connect to caravelnet. The other hold (the choice) imported fine.

(Linux, 2.0.8)
07-25-2005 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Looks like I'm having a problem. I can't install either of them. I can see the holds to download, click on them and get the downloading hold message (for about 15 seconds for 'The Choice' and for a much longer time when I attempt KDD2.0). Then I get what looks like a progress bar at the bottom of the screen, but it never moves and the holds don't get added as a selection to play. It shouldn't take over 5 mins to install The Choice, should it? That how long I waited the last time I tried before hitting 'cancel'.

I have the green checkmark saying I'm connected to CaravelNet in game, I'm using ver 2.0.8, and high scores have been uploading for me just fine, so everything else appears to be working.

Edit: I just downloaded a random user submitted hold to see if it would still work and it installed just fine. It's only the two SM holds that won't work for me.

[Last edited by Tscott at 07-25-2005 07:34 AM]
07-25-2005 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
For what it's worth, I have no problem downloading Dugan's and installing it: it took about one minute, download included, so the Choice should definitively not take minutes to install. Of course, I have no idea on what's wrong for you... maybe a temporary glitch on the server's end, or some such?
07-25-2005 at 08:19 AM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Not sure if this is relevant to anyone else's situation, but I had to disable Norton Firewall to be able to download KDD 2.0.

This isn't recommended, but it worked.

(I had no trouble dowloading the other smitemaster's selection.)

"Until it ends, there is no end."
07-25-2005 at 09:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
They've been saying that episodic content is the future. Well, my friends, this is the future today!

Someone call Danforth Strout. I've got a whole notebook full of these.

07-25-2005 at 11:24 AM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
I couldn't download either of the Smitemaster Selections. I've also been unable to download King MeckMeck's Dungeon which sizewise is slightly larger than The Choice. Norton Firewall seems to be the culprit since disabling it enabled me to download all three.

Are these going to be added to the Caravel only area of the download section? It seems like it might be a good idea in case people keep having trouble downloading in-game.
07-25-2005 at 01:29 PM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
bdwing wrote:
Not sure if this is relevant to anyone else's situation, but I had to disable Norton Firewall to be able to download KDD 2.0.

This isn't recommended, but it worked.

(I had no trouble dowloading the other smitemaster's selection.)
Thanks, I completely disabled Norton and then it worked. I got a lot of pop windows warning me my computer wasn't protected that kept minimizing DROD while it was trying to install them, but they eventually installed.

I'm LOVING The Choice so far, and feels great to be back in KDD after such a long absence.

07-25-2005 at 04:08 PM
SbCl3
My linux has no firewall and it doesn't work for me. Even my router's firewall is disabled.
07-25-2005 at 05:16 PM
ErikH2000
I don't have Norton Firewall. I guess I'm wondering what exactly it's complaining about. Can you download smaller holds with DROD? Can you see the in-game marquee?

DROD isn't doing anything different than if you had installed a web browser. All of its communications are on port 80 and it just makes HTTP requests to different pages on www.drod.net. So DROD isn't asking for any more of your networking security to be opened up than your web browser. With Norton, can't you say "This application is fine. Don't worry about what it's doing." It seems like it would be a necessary feature to have when you are installing different web browsers, mail clients, FTP clients, SSH clients, and basically any app that used the internet.

-Erik

07-25-2005 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
It works after closing most other stuff; must of been a memory problem.
07-25-2005 at 05:33 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
SbCl3 wrote:
When I try to download KDD2, it gets to the end of the bar and then closes the whole program. And when I reopen it, I can't connect to caravelnet. The other hold (the choice) imported fine.

(Linux, 2.0.8)
It works after closing most other stuff; must of been a memory problem.
I'm unable to reproduce any crashes here, but it is possible that Linux could kill off DROD if the large download is causing DROD to allocate more memory than what's available. How much ram + swap do you have, and how much was free when this happened ?

Do you have a drod.err file in the Data dir or in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0, btw ? If so, what does it say ?

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 07-25-2005 06:40 PM : clarification]
07-25-2005 at 06:02 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
That happened to me as well. It just started to import the data, and it crashed to desktop, leaving behind no error message or error log on it.

And I have a 300MB swap partition and 96MB physical RAM. It imported fine the second time I tried.

07-25-2005 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
That happened to me as well. It just started to import the data, and it crashed to desktop, leaving behind no error message or error log on it.

And I have a 300MB swap partition and 96MB physical RAM. It imported fine the second time I tried.
I'm not sure how much memory the uncompressing part of the installation takes. Depending on what algorithm the zgip library is using, it might run out of memory when there's only 100MB or so free, or maybe even 200-300MB...but who knows. Anyway, I'm glad it has worked one way or another for everyone so far.

07-25-2005 at 06:36 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
ErikH2000 wrote:
I don't have Norton Firewall. I guess I'm wondering what exactly it's complaining about. Can you download smaller holds with DROD? Can you see the in-game marquee?
The only problem seems to be with downloading large holds. Since that's the only problem, it's looking like it's actually a memory problem not anything Norton was actively doing.
07-25-2005 at 07:19 PM
ErikH2000
KevG wrote:
The only problem seems to be with downloading large holds. Since that's the only problem, it's looking like it's actually a memory problem not anything Norton was actively doing.
Well, it might be that some people have a problem with memory and others have a problem with Norton. Has anyone received a message from Norton related to DROD? If so, please post it here.

-Erik

07-25-2005 at 07:41 PM
SbCl3
I only had about 100 mb of swap and only about 50 mb physical left when I tried unsuccessfully, which would explain.
07-25-2005 at 07:51 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection: Summer 2005 (0)  
mrimer wrote:

King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0, by Erik Hermansen. This is a remade version of King Dugan's Dungeon using the 2.0 game engine, with many new contributions by the Caravel Team.

"CaravelNet users -- get them today!!

Is this saying that non CaravelNet users will be able to get this hold later? Will this be a download on the drod site sometime in the future?
07-25-2005 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
bradwall wrote:
Is this saying that non CaravelNet users will be able to get this hold later? Will this be a download on the drod site sometime in the future?
There aren't any plans at this time to do anything like that. However, we do plan to offer it on CD sometime soon (think "collector's item") for people who like that kind of stuff, etc.

07-25-2005 at 08:28 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
mrimer wrote:
bradwall wrote:
There aren't any plans at this time to do anything like that. However, we do plan to offer it on CD sometime soon (think "collector's item") for people who like that kind of stuff, etc.

I would be interested in that. The reason is that I don't know that I will always have the CaravelNet subsription. Even though I am subscribed now, it would be a shame if I couldn't play that anymore because I reinstalled and don't have the subscription anymore.
If that made any sense.

07-25-2005 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
...just back up your data after downloading.
07-25-2005 at 10:03 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection (Where do I get it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com