Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Paper Mario 2 TTYD Chat (Talk of PM2!)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Antino_Antilles
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Re: Paper Mario 2 TTYD Chat (0)  
Of course I can "powerguard" (it's called Superguard, actually), but the whole point is that I'm too lazy to, so I make it so no one hurts me anyway. I also disable my attacks because I'm too lazy to do that as well. In truth I actually wear Zap Tap so they kill themselves while not hurting me, but I just had to submit that badge list. I really do wear Jumpman and Hammerman though. If anybody annoys me, which is rare, I do Supernova and by the time I'm in another worthwhile fight my Star Power is restored.

And by the way, I never saw you say anything about your unfathomable Superguarding skills.
08-04-2005 at 07:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
I dunno. The only thing that really hits me are flames, (anything to do with flames always has terrible timing) and bosses.

Also, I don't think star power abilities are affected by Attack+'s, so Jumpman + Hammerman really seems entirely fruitless to me.
08-05-2005 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I can just superguard nearly anything!

I can even super guard Hooktail's breath, Shadow Queens sucking attack, etc!

Jeff_ray===

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-05-2005 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Antino_Antilles wrote:
Slow Go
Attack FX (All)
Chill Out
First Attack
Feeling Fine
Feeling Fine P
HP Drain P
Last Stand
Last Stand P
Defend Plus (3)
Defend Plus P (2)
Damage Dodge (2)
Damage Dodge P (2)
P-Down, D-Up
P-Down, D-Up P
Jumpman
Hammerman

Actually, uh, Oneiro, I had 60 BP endgame. I largely ignored HP because of the healing starpower.

Now, onto your badge list, ignoring even the /very existence/ of the B button.

Slow Go: ...why?

Chill Out: Yeah, this is sane, I had this one on a lot of the time.

First Attack: I...didn't put this on until I'd already beaten the game. I likes my coinses.

Feeling Fine: Fair enough, though poison really isn't much of an issue.

HP Drain: Okay, cool.

Last Stand: Well, given you ARE taking damage, and extending combats, yeah, I can see how this would work.

Defend Plus: Since the entire point of this badgelist is to become the invincible pacifist, well.

P-Down D-Up: See above.

Jumpman + Hammerman: I still don't see why you are intentionally keeping yourself from using these moves, given that stylish moves increase the star bar which, by your own admission, you are depending on to deal any damage.

08-05-2005 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Banjooie wrote:
Actually, uh, Oneiro, I had 60 BP endgame. I largely ignored HP because of the healing starpower.
Actually, uh, I did too. I must have misread how many BP he had...I assumed it was a huge amount, being level 51 and all. Personally, I can't imagine playing without Quick Change, and I think the P-Up badges are very nice, especially being able to kill all the enemies before they hurt you with area attacks. If you have the badge that gives you extra defense on a successful block, then you don't need the defense badges as much.

But whatever works is a valid badge build, so it does seem rather silly to me that we are all arguing about this. Now if someone couldn't beat the game then it is reasonable to suggest they try different badges. Since he's beaten the main quest and the Pit of 100 Trials, it obviously was good enough for that, even if we wouldn't have gone that way.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2005 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
careca
Rank Points: 10
i did it! i´m level 36 in paper mario TTYD
08-05-2005 at 06:55 PM
Antino_Antilles
don't you guys get it yet? I'm TRYING to be an idiot. The fact that I actually am one and I really wear those badges has little to do with it.

And as far as Slow Go goes... ever heard of this thing called a "joke"?

[Last edited by Antino_Antilles at 08-05-2005 07:43 PM]
08-05-2005 at 07:40 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Antino_Antilles wrote:
don't you guys get it yet? I'm TRYING to be an idiot. The fact that I actually am one and I really wear those badges has little to do with it.

Well, text is a medium where sarcasm isn't always obvious.
08-05-2005 at 07:47 PM
Banjooie
The internet is serious business, bub.

But whatever works is a valid badge build, so it does seem rather silly to me that we are all arguing about this.

Well, yeah, but I thought we were trying to optimize, here.
08-05-2005 at 07:47 PM
Antino_Antilles
...Are you waiting for me to say something? It's been a whole minute, here.
08-05-2005 at 08:02 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I feel like randomly running in here and telling everyone how great civility is, just on a whim.

Insert phrases like 'word to the wise' here.

Matt

08-05-2005 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Antino_Antilles
Hey, I'm being civil. I'm just also being stupid. If that causes arguments it isn't my fault.
08-06-2005 at 12:56 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Antino_Antilles wrote:
Hey, I'm being civil. I'm just also being stupid. If that causes arguments it isn't my fault.
Um...

Well...

I don't think being "stupid" and then denying any responsibility for any arguments is exactly helpful. The only thing you have actually said so far is about your own achievements in this game, which impressive as they sound, appear a little boastful, and in this light make you sound like all you want to do is show off to the rest of us.

Of course, this probably isn't a correct judgement or reflection of your personality, but with so few posts, you may be giving the wrong impression of yourself to us, since we can only know what sort of person you are through what you write. Perhaps maybe you should change the discussion towards something more constructive, like for example your general or favourite strategies in dealing with enemies, or how you would start out if playing the game from the start. At the very least, since misunderstandings can happen very easily over the internet, try not to say things that may cause arguments to begin, even if you yourself aren't the person who may start them.

In any case, some of the things said have been interesting (intriguing enough for me to be considering getting a copy myself), so let's not try to start an argument here which would spoil this thread.

Edit: I'm a little tired now, so I may have been a bit more brief than I intended. I'm not trying to start some criticism session or be patronising; I'm just trying to prevent an argument from flaring up.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 08-06-2005 01:25 AM]
08-06-2005 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Antino_Antilles
Um... does disabling your attacks make you sound boastful? To me it sounded like I'm a complete idiot, which, take it from someone who knows, is a true reflection of my personality.

So, as long as we're agreeing to act nice, I suppose I'll let you in on my secret skills, but don't expect much.

This may sound like another joke post, but this really is my actual strategy: USE NO FP WHATSOEVER. This is not entirely true. What I do is try not to use FP on anyone I can beat in a few turns anyway, but then when I come to certain enemies I'm at a complete loss without FP, which is why I save it. I usually wear one Defend Plus and maybe a couple attack badges, especially Quake Hammer (it may not be strong but it has lots of useful side effects), but you will never catch me wearing a Power Plus, All or Nothing, or anything of the sort. While this is mostly because other people like them, it is also partially because I dislike them. I guess I feel that if I can get nearly halfway through the Pit of 100 Trials without a single HP or FP point missing, which miraculously I can, then I don't need them. My favorite badges of all time are Happy Heart and Happy Flower.

And now you're probably thinking, "If only their was a badge that shortened this guy's posts..."

So, I'll shut up. Farewell . . . . .

or something of that sort.
08-06-2005 at 04:15 AM
Banjooie
Well, yes, you rightfully shouldn't be using FP except on really difficult things. It's part of why I didn't really like the secret character or Flurrie; most of her good abilities only really function on the random enemies.
08-06-2005 at 09:49 PM
Antino_Antilles
What "secret character" are you talking about? Fop, there better not be something I missed if I'm this far. Oh, is it
I'll bet that was it. Sorry if I spoiled the entire game or something, I didn't know, and I'm still not entirely sure... um... what was I saying? Oh, fop it.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-07-2005 06:22 AM]
08-07-2005 at 03:07 AM
Banjooie
Yes, we've only been using spoiler tags for the secret character this /entire thread/.

Thank you, so much.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 08-07-2005 03:28 AM]
08-07-2005 at 03:27 AM
Antino_Antilles
Well, I didn't read any of the original thread. Remember I said "this probably has nothing to do with your posts"? Anyway, I guess it did that secret text thing automatically, which is nice, I suppose. See, though, I've been trying to tell you how stupid I am, but no one catches on until I start actually doing stuff, therefore doing it badly.
08-07-2005 at 08:00 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: Paper Mario 2 TTYD Chat (-2)  
Okay, you can't use 'I'm stupid' as an excuse, and then proceed to do the exact same things over again. Well, you can, but we aren't in any way obligated to forgive or to eschew hiring penguins to break your kneecaps.

And, no, it didn't do it automatically, one of our admins ninja'd your post. IN THE FACE. It was totally sweet.
08-07-2005 at 10:58 PM
Antino_Antilles
...What? Well, I didn't understand that exactly, but I don't see the sense of a forum where facts are prohibited. "I'm stupid" is a fact, and what exactly did I do over or whatever? I'm confused now.
08-08-2005 at 02:03 AM
Mattcrampy
icon Re: Paper Mario 2 TTYD Chat (+1)  
Well, firstly, Banjooie is ignoring the word to the wise about being civil, and he and I and Mr. Pliers are going to have a little talk about that later. Notice that others have stepped in and given him a -2 there, which basically means forum smackdown.

You need to do the secret thing yourself, and it's very handy (and appreciated) if you want to hide spoilers. It's pretty easy: you just do [secret] to open it, and to close it, which looks like

On the other hand, you're here, and you're literate, so "I'm stupid" is not really that likely. "I'm new" is, though, and everyone's new once. So just ignore the jerkwads and pick things up at your own pace, and don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure how to do something. Someone will be glad to help, despite anecdotal evidence.

Matt

08-08-2005 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Antino_Antilles
Er... right. Well, it's hard to believe that it's this difficult to convince people I'm dumb. I know I can write well and... (well, that's about it, really), but oh well, I guess I'll stop saying it and let it sink in on its own. OK, so, I see the secret button, that shouldn't be too hard... like this?...

OK... right. Well, I don't think anybody asked me anything so bye for now...

Oh, I just got the "you're here" comment, that was actually pretty good because it can be missed...

[Last edited by Antino_Antilles at 08-08-2005 04:48 AM]
08-08-2005 at 04:46 AM
Mattcrampy
Actually, it wasn't that subtle: this is the DROD forum. DROD is a hard game, so only smart people tend to hang out here. It makes for a very different forum environment, really pleasant and accepting. (Partly because the mischief-makers get found out pretty quick.)

Let's get this thread back on topic. I should boot up Paper Mario and see where I'm sitting.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 08-08-2005 07:26 AM]
08-08-2005 at 07:21 AM
Antino_Antilles
What's DROD? (I know, a hard game, but more specific perhaps?) Maybe next time I'll pay attention to what forum I enter. So, Paper Mario. Do you guys like the first one or the second one better? Personally I think the story of the first one is a little better; I know it's still "Bowser kidnaps Peach" but the Star Spirits and Star Haven and all is much better than the Crystal Stars. Obviously there are more and better attacks, graphics, villains, etc. in the second one, but I think if they had used the first one as the Gamecube game, and vice versa, it would have been better by far. All the boss battles in the first one were better; I like the idea of fighting a guy on a train and stuff, but something about the first Paper Mario will be lodged stubbornly in my heart forever. Possibly because it's the first RPG I ever played. Comments?
:blowup
08-08-2005 at 11:14 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Antino_Antilles wrote:
What's DROD? (I know, a hard game, but more specific perhaps?) Maybe next time I'll pay attention to what forum I enter.
www.drod.net and www.caravelgames.com will explain what DROD is. We're not used to explaining what our game is on our own forum, you see. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-08-2005 at 11:20 PM
Antino_Antilles
OK... yes, well, sorry, but you see what happened is I simply went to Google and searched for "Paper Mario 2 Forum" and... yeah. So, there you go.
08-08-2005 at 11:34 PM
Antino_Antilles
So, er... did everyone die or something? Am I going to have to start a conversation? Because that's at the top of my infinitely long "Can't Do" list. Oh well. Where's that exploding Smiley...?
08-11-2005 at 05:46 AM
agaricus5
Antino_Antilles wrote:
So, er... did everyone die or something? Am I going to have to start a conversation? Because that's at the top of my infinitely long "Can't Do" list. Oh well. Where's that exploding Smiley...?
Well, technically, this is a DROD based Forum, not a Paper Mario 2 (or even a Nintendo Games) based Forum, so it's more likely that people are here to talk about DROD than Paper Mario 2.

In other words, this is obviously not the hot topic at present and interest is obviously elsewhere, or the people who would be posting in here are not around at the moment. If you want to start a conversation, then feel free to do so, but it's a bit rude to expect that the forum is going to revolve around you or this thread just because "starting a conversation is at the top of your infinitely long "Can't Do" list.". In any case, the forum's population hasn't "died"; in fact, it is growing at an increasing rate - take a look for yourself. Why not take a look at some of the other things the forum has on offer, such as the games in the Forum Games board, discussions in the Anything board or DROD-related talk in the General board. You might also want to see what all the fuss behind DROD is about and get yourself a copy of the JtRH Demo (Windows), or get another version for a different platform here. If you do find you like DROD, then you can try your hand at some of the user-made holds out there, or even build your own for the rest of us to play.

Oh, and just before anyone says anything, I did notice the deliberate sarcasm or exaggeration in your post, but I don't want to continue it on in mine, so please don't think I'm being sarcastic too.

08-11-2005 at 06:54 PM
Banjooie

In any case, the forum's population hasn't "died"; in fact, it is growing at an increasing rate...

Registrations for August:60 | Registrations for July:124 | Registrations for June:174

... Um, Agaricus. Not that you don't have a point in general, but.
08-11-2005 at 07:42 PM
agaricus5
Banjooie wrote:

In any case, the forum's population hasn't "died"; in fact, it is growing at an increasing rate...

Registrations for August:60 | Registrations for July:124 | Registrations for June:174

... Um, Agaricus. Not that you don't have a point in general, but.
Okay. Just so you know, I was reasonably amused by that, but you can't really use the August statistic quite yet, since there are 20 more days left until the month ends, and at that current rate, we'd have 160-180 registrations, and 2800-3000 posts, which if not vastly more, is similar to that for June.

However, don't treat me like I'm stupid, please. I understand you want to make a humourous point yourself (for whatever reason), but it's not actually necessary, given the context of my post. I have been here for quite a while, and have seen the Forum growth for myself, so I would think I know what I'm talking about in general.

08-11-2005 at 07:51 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Paper Mario 2 TTYD Chat (Talk of PM2!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com