Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East (0)  
I'm stuck here. Can you help me or give an demo?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-28-2005 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East (+1)  

06-29-2005 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
grandmoo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East (0)  
I must be the dumbest player ever, but beginning on the fourth level, is it required to clear every roach from every room as it was in the first three levels? with arrows only "out" away from the queens, for e.g., I don't even see a path in even if I could get there!?

bdcribbs wrote:

07-14-2005 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Check out the little tunnel squares - they allow you to move instantly from one tunnel to one which it is facing.
07-14-2005 at 09:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mistweave
Rank Points: 23
grandmoo wrote:
I must be the dumbest player ever, but beginning on the fourth level, is it required to clear every roach from every room as it was in the first three levels? with arrows only "out" away from the queens, for e.g., I don't even see a path in even if I could get there!?

In general, you have to clear out ALL monsters in rooms that you visit to clear the room. That said, there are a few exceptions:

1) Some rooms don't have to be cleared to exit the level (strictly speaking, to drop the blue doors on the level). These rooms show up as a different color in the mini-map:
a) Red - Not yet cleared. Must be cleared to exit level.
b) Magenta - Not yet cleared. Can exit level w/o clearing these rooms. Note that all secret rooms are of this type, but not all rooms of this type are secret.
c) Green - Just cleared. Only shows up in the room you're currently in when you've cleared it but not yet exited the room.
d) White - Previously cleared. A green room turns white (and stays that way) once you leave it. Also, rooms that never contained any monsters are white.

2) Some monsters don't have to be killed to clear a room. The most notable example is the Slayer, who is generally unkillable anyway. (Yes there are special circumstances in which the Slayer can be killed, but the designers tried to make it impossible). In general, scripted characters (e.g. the runners you'll eventually see who provide plot details in overheard conversations, but are completely inaccessible) don't need to be killed. Watch for that green room in the mini-map.

So...yes, you have to find a way to off those queens. Look around at all the tiles in the room. Are there any you don't recognize? What do you think they do?

07-14-2005 at 04:00 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Mistweave wrote:
b) Magenta - Not yet cleared. Can exit level w/o clearing these rooms. Note that all secret rooms are of this type, but not all rooms of this type are secret.
This isn't strictly true. It is possible to create rooms which are both "secret" and "required", but it's typically bad form. I would only do such a thing if the blue doors were blocking something besides the level exit. I believe all the secret rooms in JtRH are nonrequired.

++Adam H. Peterson
07-14-2005 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mistweave
Rank Points: 23
AlefBet wrote:
It is possible to create rooms which are both "secret" and "required", but it's typically bad form.
Ok...perhaps a better statement would have been "All secret rooms I've ever encountered have been non-required."

And I still don't see the point of making a required room secret (under any circumstances), since the only gameplay effects I can see from the secret flag are:
1) You get credit for a 'secret' when you enter it; and
2) It doesn't show up on the level maps in the Hints forum.

The latter effect just seems wrong if the room is required...but maybe I'm missing something.

07-16-2005 at 07:10 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
My new hold uses required secret rooms. I'd tell you why, but it's a secret.

07-16-2005 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
I'm stumped by the challenge: Don't turn your sword.

10-07-2015 at 03:25 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East (+2)  
Yes, that's the correct sword direction. Which part of the room are you stuck on (getting the trapdoors, or killing the top queens afterwards)?

If it's the trapdoors, then...

10-07-2015 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
I got it worked somehow slightly after I wrote the post. So,

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 10-08-2015 02:42 AM]
10-08-2015 at 02:41 AM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
For ages I couldn't work out how to actually do the challenge. I managed - with great difficulty - to get as far as completing the trapdoors, but then I couldn't see a way to get the roaches out of the upper chambers as fast as they spawned, with enough time to actually get into the central northern chamber AND move to the eastern one in time to kill the queen there before she spawned again. I even managed to get as far as "only 4 roaches left alive by the beginning of the next spawn cycle" but no closer...

Then I wondered if there was a reason that
would both draw the eastern roaches into the northern central chamber and clear that chamber at the same time. So long as no roaches came out of the eastern arrow, this might work.

It worked, and I was able to dash into the eastern chamber and... not quite in time to stop the queen spawning, but in time to kill the spawn before they matured, and take out the queen.

From there on it was a lot easier...
The rest is straight smitemastery :-)
10-25-2016 at 03:53 AM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East (+2)  
For ages I couldn't work out how to actually do the challenge. I managed - with great difficulty - to get as far as completing the trapdoors, but then I couldn't see a way to get the roaches out of the upper chambers as fast as they spawned, with enough time to actually get into the central northern chamber AND move to the eastern one in time to kill the queen there before she spawned again. I even managed to get as far as "only 4 roaches left alive by the beginning of the next spawn cycle" but no closer...

Then I wondered if there was a reason that
would both draw the eastern roaches into the northern central chamber and clear that chamber at the same time. So long as no roaches came out of the eastern arrow, this might work.

It worked, and I was able to dash into the eastern chamber and... not quite in time to stop the queen spawning, but in time to kill the spawn before they matured, and take out the queen.

From there on it was a lot easier...
The rest is straight smitemastery :-)
10-25-2016 at 04:03 AM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
So close, yet so far... Can I have a demo?

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
11-07-2016 at 10:20 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872

File: JtRH Fourth Level 1E Challenge completed.demo (9.3 KB)
Downloaded 105 times.
License: Public Domain
Here you go.
11-07-2016 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Fourth Level : 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com