Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Someone requested a Caravel.net key for me
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Someone requested a Caravel.net key for me (0)  
I just received an email indicating that somebody had requested a Caravel.net key for me, but it wasn't me. Is there a test or upgrade going on or something?

[Last edited by DiMono at 06-28-2005 05:51 PM : Turned on email notification]
06-28-2005 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Someone requested a Caravel.net key for me (0)  
Someone, whether it's you, your significant other, or your great-aunt, has requested a new CaravelNet key.
You never know. :)

[Last edited by rowrow at 06-28-2005 05:55 PM]
06-28-2005 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
DiMono wrote:
I just received an email indicating that somebody had requested a Caravel.net key for me, but it wasn't me. Is there a test or upgrade going on or something?
In theory, someone could enter your username ingame and hit request a key. It wouldn't be the coolest thing on earth, but it is possible.

06-28-2005 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
It seems like someone who doesn't have a CaravelNet key wanted to see what happens if they put in someone else's name and requested a key. They probably did it from in-game, since otherwise they'd have to do it from your profile and then they'd have your forum password.

Worst-case scenario, they have a pirated copy and were trying to scam a CaravelNet key too. Since the e-mail still went to you, they obviously weren't successful. I don't know if Schik can find out the IP address or other identifying information for whoever placed the key request or not.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-28-2005 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: Someone requested a Caravel.net key for me (+1)  
The good thing is that it has absolutely no effect on you. Just delete the email and go on with DROD - it didn't invalidate any keys you might be using or anything.

If this becomes a popular thing, I might add in logging of these requests so we can find out who's doing it and why.

06-28-2005 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Someone requested a Caravel.net key for me
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com