Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Odd Sorting
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Odd Sorting (0)  
There's been a few forums recently where the 'latest posts' have been out of order. I think there might be something wrong with the sorting mechanism, or something.

(It seems to happen most often on the private boards.)

06-27-2005 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Odd Sorting (0)  
Holds and Architecture have this too. They seem to be sorted by their first post instead of their last one...

06-27-2005 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Odd Sorting (+1)  
Edited posts are the reason. Since the dates are now in the database, when they go to sort by most recent - the edit counts rather than the post date. If you look at this topic's first post, you will see that the sample edit I made brought the topic to the top. The question of "Bug or feature?" is up to Schik.

06-28-2005 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
The answer is "Bug".

There already *was* a LastUpdated field, and I shouldn't have used it - it tracks the last time the thread was updated, not the last time the post was updated. I'll have to fix this.

06-28-2005 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That's not the full story - there's a few of the private boards which have had old messages inexplicably bumped to the top. I just had a look now, and the one I'm looking at hasn't been touched for a year.

06-28-2005 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Mattcrampy wrote:
That's not the full story - there's a few of the private boards which have had old messages inexplicably bumped to the top. I just had a look now, and the one I'm looking at hasn't been touched for a year.
Could you maybe tell me which one?

06-28-2005 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Odd Sorting (+1)  
I've fixed the bug that I know of. Any first posts in topics that were edited before this fix will still be out of order, but new edits should not break ordering like this.

Matt, if you know of a different bug, please let me know.

06-28-2005 at 04:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Odd Sorting
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com