Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Editing posts (looks strange to me at the moment.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Editing posts (0)  
I see that the post editing text location has changed. There's now a small text in the bottom of the post.

I have a feature request: Instead of putting the edited message below your signature, put it above it into the end of the post. It looks like my signature would be edited at the moment. (Although there's a line between signature and the editing text)

I'll edit this post just to show you where the editing message goes and where I would want it to be.

Possible placement for editing text

[Last edited by Doom at 06-17-2005 03:14 PM]
06-16-2005 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: Editing posts (0)  
I guess it would also do if there wasn't that long line. It looks kind of disturbing right now. The smaller size is good, though. (And the fact that you don't need to delete extra editing messages every time)
06-16-2005 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Editing posts (+1)  
It used to not have that long line when Schik first made it, but then it just looked like you edited your signature. So if it stays below the signature, it pretty much needs the long line.

I think that it looks fine as it is, but perhaps if there are enough complaints, a change would be made. But not if only one person doesn't like it, so speak now or be the snoozin' loser.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-16-2005 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
It's better like it is.

Part of the problem with it being inside the message is that you can't tell if it's a real edit, or if someone had typed that in..

Yeah, I know we're all above this type of thing on this forum, but even so, what would have stopped me doing this ?

[Edited by Doom at 06/16/2005 11:26AM: I delete half the post because I think Jamie is a git]

06-16-2005 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom

File: Editing.png (12.1 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Other
Well, this kind of editing messages have always been my favourite. (look the picture) They don't get in the way, are nicely in the bottom and I've never looked at them as if they were in the signature. I still dislike the line but if majority likes it, I'll propably just get used into it with time...
06-16-2005 at 04:16 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I think the biggest difference is that those forums did it that way from the beginning, and we're just now switching to something similar, but not completely identical. Personally, I think it's important to have the fact that a post was edited be prominent...especially if it isn't the original post author who did the editing.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-16-2005 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
As you can see, the system is still not secure :)

Rest of the post destroyed!!!

[Last edited by jamie at Local Time:06-17-2005 at 02:28 PM: Hahahaha, you'll never know what was written here!]

Hmm... Doesn't work anymore. At least the system is a bit more secure now.

[Last edited by Doom at 06-17-2005 03:14 PM]
06-17-2005 at 01:23 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Doom wrote:
Hmm... Doesn't work anymore. At least the system is a bit more secure now.
There's still another way to fake the edited tag, as long as you don't have a signature. If people start doing it a lot, I'll just ask them to stop. The important thing is that it's now easy to see if it's faked, just by quoting their post - there should be no [Last Edited by...] text, unless it's faked.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 06-17-2005 05:17 PM : Oh, it can still be screwed with...]
06-17-2005 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Editing posts (looks strange to me at the moment.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com