Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Mass-Killing of Guards (read above title.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
IP: Logged

File: guards.jpg (54.2 KB)
Downloaded 289 times.
License: Other
icon Mass-Killing of Guards (+1)  
<---- see attachment ---

go to your editor and create an empty room with no exits. Put three rows of guards at the bottom and yourself at the top. Make sure to get the sword directions right.

See if you can do it. This is hard, but possible. If you ever get in trouble, remember that the editor can go back any desired number of moves.
06-12-2005 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Mass-Killing of Guards (+1)  
That was quite fun. Now, do it with four rows! (also possible)

06-13-2005 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Mass-Killing of Guards (0)  
Is it possible with 5?

06-13-2005 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Stefan wrote:
That was quite fun. Now, do it with four rows! (also possible)

whoa. are you serious? this makes that one room on level 25 look easy mimic-less.
06-13-2005 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
rowrow wrote:
Is it possible with 5?

hmm...doubt it. There has to be enough room to get to the other side of the room, and that gets harder and harder.
06-13-2005 at 01:26 AM
Stefan
SbCl3 wrote:
this makes that one room on level 25 look easy mimic-less.
Well, that room is quite easy mimic-less...

I doubt it's possible with five rows, but it could very well be (I've managed to get to the other side of them, but I haven't been able to continue from there (yet)).

Edit: Just managed to pull through... It might be possible after all...

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:06-13-2005 at 01:43 AM]

06-13-2005 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
It is possible with five rows of guards. At least with the configuration I used.

06-13-2005 at 02:26 AM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
It might have to do with order of movement maybe.

06-13-2005 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
The guards are pretty much coded at random...so it makes it very hard without going back as far as you want. For example, if you travel somewhere in a straight line, you may never see the gaurds change. But if you so something weird you can get around the guards. I'll have to look at the code to see how it all works.

5 rows? wow.
06-13-2005 at 03:55 AM
Stefan

File: Guard Massacre.hold (4.9 KB)
Downloaded 121 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Mass-Killing of Guards (+2)  
I made a small hold that contains rooms with 1-6 rows of guards, along with a demo of the room with 5 rows. The room with 6 rows of guards has not been tested and is probably impossible (but I'm not so sure about that).

06-13-2005 at 06:11 AM
SbCl3
great. thanks.
06-13-2005 at 03:15 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Mass-Killing of Guards (+1)  
SbCl3 wrote:
The guards are pretty much coded at random...so it makes it very hard without going back as far as you want. For example, if you travel somewhere in a straight line, you may never see the gaurds change. But if you so something weird you can get around the guards. I'll have to look at the code to see how it all works.

5 rows? wow.

There's nothing random about the guards, but they are very dependent on movement order, because of the following:

A - Guards are always brained, so they will try going around obstacles.

B - Guards will not kill other guards.

C - Guards take two squares.

This makes guard movement hard to predict because unlike normal monsters, being blocked by another guard doesn't mean they don't move, it just means they don't move optimally. And guards can block each other in several ways - guard 1 can be in the way of guard 2, guard 1's sword can be in guard 2's way, or guard 1 can be in the way of guard 2's sword. This is of course compounded when more guards are nearby. The end result being that guards move a lot in ways that are designed to avoid other guards rather than directly towards Beethro.

Which wouldn't be so bad if the movement order was easy to determine, but obviously with unpredictable movement order this is even more confusing since the results can vary greatly based on who is in whose way. It's also worth nothing that two guards can effectively block each other from certain squares, making them both move in non-intuitive ways.

In other words, there's a lot of reasons guard movement is hard to predict. But it's not actually random.

06-13-2005 at 08:15 PM
rishihot55
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Dudes it must be hard to defeat 3 rows of guards because my max is 10 guards at a time(I created a room which has guards locked and you have to toggle each door)(I accidentally opened 3 doors and 10 guards swarmed to me but i owned them
06-09-2008 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Mass-Killing of Guards (read above title.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com