Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (How do I leave this room?)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
DavidLaing
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (0)  
Help, I went into this room, cleared it, then Twice North, and cleared that - but how do I get out again?

Just a hint would be fine. As far as I can tell, there's only one way out of Twice North (the way I came in), and no way out of 2 North, 1 East (cos door is closed, and the arrow is one way), and no way to open switch and get through door.

Any assistance would be most welcome!
06-07-2005 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (0)  
There was a green door in 2N. Perhaps it was blocking something?

Click here to view the secret text

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-07-2005 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DavidLaing
Doh! You wouldn't believe how long I looked for that - lack of sleep, who knows!!
06-08-2005 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nixxter666
I feel silly having gotten this far in this game and not really understanding the restore feature.

Here's what I did. I cleared most of this level. Including this room. But I missed quite a few rooms I'd like to do on this level (even though I do have the exit level ding). Namely 4n1e, 3n1e, 3n2w, 2n3w, 3w.

The problem with this room is since I cleared it long ago, without Halph reappearing in it, as I enter from the South I cant get the doors open so I can get into the area and exit to the west to go do those rooms I missed.

If I restore this room, does it blow my other progress on this level?

Thanks in advance for the help!
03-12-2006 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (+1)  
Here's how it works.
DROD saves your progress:
1) every time you enter a new room
2) every time you enter an unconquered room, however many times you've entered it before
3) every time you step on a checkpoint (but only for the last time you played the room).
You can never lose progress (unless you delete your player or something goes wrong with the game). You can always restore to any of the situations above, however when you do, the game will be in the state it was at that point. So if you play some rooms, restore back to play a couple more, then go back and restore your original game then the couple you just played will still be unconquered in that savegame. However for CaravelNet purposes, the game will know you played it at some point so it will be marked as completed.

Does that help?

"Oook!"
03-12-2006 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nixxter666
I think so.

I think I can restore this room, play through the rooms I miss and just keep going and that is my current game. So I won't lose progress on the rooms I had completed before the restore.

Thanks for the help on that, I'll refer back to this when I have questions about restoring :)
03-12-2006 at 04:00 PM
Mlizziec
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
I have just been reading Krammer's suggestions about 'restore' and I don't seem to understand them. Does it mean that I should restore in 13 to an unfinished room? Wouldn't this mean that I lose everything else I have done prior to that?
My problem is that I have returned from Level 14 to complete 13 and like Nixxter666 I can't get through 13–2N1E without Halph's help. I am sure there is something I have omitted. Can someone please help me. There must be another way!!! :no
08-29-2008 at 07:36 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (+2)  
I don't really understand where you are in the game and why you came back to Thirteenth Level 2N1E from the Fourteenth Level. I'm not sure I can help you without more information.

It is true that some levels in JtRH are completed in a nonlinear fashion. When you first come to the Thirteenth Level, you complete the required rooms and move on to the Fourteenth Level. At this point, there will be some unrequired rooms in the Thirteenth Level that you haven't conquered, because you couldn't get into them. Going back down the stairs from Fourteenth Level : The Entrance to the Thirteenth Level will not take you to those unsolved rooms. You'll just wander around in rooms you already conquered and possibly get stuck. If that's what you did, this would be a good time to use Restore. Restore back to the last room you conquered in the Fourteenth Level and continue onwards.

On a later level, you will find a secret staircase that takes you back down to the part of Thirteenth Level you haven't solved yet.
08-29-2008 at 07:59 AM
Mlizziec
Thanks for your prompt response and for your support and encouragement. In the 14th I got the Exit Level sign and because I had read in other hints that I had to go back to complete the 13th that's what I did. It resulted exactly as you said. So I've gone back now to the 14th at the exit only to discover that I will have to repeat some of the rooms. But that's OK—it's good practice. But I wish I could understand Hammer's rules about Restore. I took it that the rooms on the mini-map that are showing as red was because of their floor plan. Perhaps this isn't so! Oh dear!! :no :no
08-29-2008 at 10:04 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (+3)  
When restoring, you should indeed pay attention to the minimap. Rooms showing as bright red are unconquered. (Rooms showing as light red have trapdoors all over the floor. Rooms showing as dark red are full of mud. It's easy to confuse the three reds if you're not aware of this.) To minimize the amount of replaying, you should have restored to whatever point in Fourteenth Level had the minimum number of bright red rooms. That's not necessarily the exit room.

Before restoring, it's always a good idea to step on a checkpoint. That saves your game, and you will be able to restore back to that exact point later. I also like to step on a checkpoint before exiting each level, in case I want to hunt for secret rooms there later.

Restore is very useful when you're hunting for secret rooms. Unlike required rooms, the game does not care what savegame you conquer secret rooms in. You've mastered a hold if you've conquered every secret room at some point. Let's say I'm on the Sixth Level, and I feel like going back to conquer a secret room on the First Level. I step on a checkpoint in the Sixth Level, restore back to the First Level and play a secret room, then restore back to where I was in the Sixth Level. Even though I've technically restored back to a game state where that First Level secret room is unconquered, the game will still give me credit for having solved it.
08-30-2008 at 01:41 AM
Mlizziec
You're a whiz—thank you very much indeed :fun
08-30-2008 at 10:00 AM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (+1)  
I think the issue is that once you've completed this room for the first time, if you wander back into it, it looks like you're trapped, because the only way out of this room is onwards through the sequence of rooms 2N, 3N, 3N1W, 2N1W, 1N1W and finally 1W (the only one with actual killable monsters in being 2N1W, which has to be "completed" by killing all the roaches to lower the green door) - revealing a couple of rooms that have the "secret" status, but being unable to explore them at this juncture (since the main part of the room is seen from the wrong side of a wall) and of course, losing Halph, so Halph is no longer available in 2N1E to hit an orb when you need him to.

However, the force arrow preventing retreat isn't on the first square of the room, so you can simply hit R till you're back at the room start (of that particular instance of entering the room - it will still be empty because it was cleared before) - and exit back out to the south.

There is, of course, no way back to any of the other rooms in the sequence - except the 3N and 3N1W, but this time through the main part of the room instead of the secret corridor - but there's no need, since the only way out of the loop is to have conquered them all.

The other rooms on this level, the ones which were NOT yet explored (or completed) when you first got the "Exit Level" notification, are a separate part of this level, accessed later from below, not from the main part of level 13 itself.

[Last edited by JLE at 12-18-2019 01:58 AM]
12-18-2019 at 01:56 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (+2)  
It's unlikely that anyone who was stuck here over ten years ago still needs help on the same room.

12-18-2019 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Thirteenth Level : 2 North, 1 East (How do I leave this room?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com