Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : confusion message on the high scores page (checking a level that you haven't explored)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
IP: Logged
icon confusion message on the high scores page (0)  
If you try to see the high scores on a level you haven't explored yet (but which I am certain has been explored by others), you get the following message: "There are no high scores for this level yet." The message is inaccurate or at least misleading, and maybe the message should read: "You have no high scores for this level yet." or better "You have not yet begun to explore this level." On the other hand, I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to see high scores for levels you haven't yet explored. The only information you can gain is the top 8 high scores and the location of the visible (non-secret) rooms, right? Is there some reason behind this that I don't rightly comprehend?

-leroy

06-01-2005 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: confusion message on the high scores page (0)  
Do you mean within JtRH, or somewhere on the site? JtRH sometimes says "This room must first be conquered." in the demo spot, so if the wrong message is showing there, it sounds like a bug.

06-01-2005 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
by "high scores" page, I believe he means "click high scores," click "holds," click a random hold. click a random level. click the "name" of a random room. see map.
any room. even if you couldn't see it normally or post a hints req about it.

06-01-2005 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
silver wrote:
by "high scores" page, I believe he means "click high scores," click "holds," click a random hold. click a random level. click the "name" of a random room. see map.
any room. even if you couldn't see it normally or post a hints req about it.

Wait, isn't that sort of the opposite of what he's saying? I mean, he's complaining that he can't see the scores in levels he hasn't reached.

06-01-2005 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
oh, you're right.
--
except I used the feature recently to find rooms on a level I had not otherwise totally explored (it was a big level. in fact, the entire hold of 222 rooms was one level). so it appears it doesn't let you see rooms in levels you haven't gotten to, but lets you look at the map of rooms you haven't gotten to if you have gotten to that level.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:06-01-2005 at 08:36 PM]

06-01-2005 at 08:35 PM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Okay, to be specific: I am talking about JtRH. I assumed the process for all holds would be the same. Since then, I read somewhere something that hinted that JtRH may be handled differently in this respect, although it wasn't explicitly stated. I couldn't remember which level I was on, and I clicked a level I hadn't reached yet, and I got the message: "There are no demos for this level yet", although such demos obviously exist. So if this is an intended, JtRH-specific thing, I guess my post is pretty much moot. Sorry for the confusion. I would still be interested in the motivation for this, though. Just general anti-spoileryness?

-leroy

06-02-2005 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yes, JtRH is protected for the purpose of spoiler protection (also, to prevent people not in Caravelnet from seeing it at all, but that could have been implemented seperately I guess).

That said, the wording on the message is still a bit unfortunate; it should probably be changed to something like "You cannot see demos for this room yet".

06-02-2005 at 02:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : confusion message on the high scores page (checking a level that you haven't explored)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com