Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
<<6789
Page 10 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged
icon Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Can we have a column on "Today's Active Posts" to show the approximate number of words in a post so we can tell which posts are most worth reading?
Hmm. That kind of info isn't stored, so I'd have to calculate it whenever it's requested. How about I add the rating of each post, since that's probably more important than the number of words anyways?
Can a new vote on a poll bring a post to the top with maybe a different colour of folder?
I'm not so sure about this one either. I don't think it needs to bring a post to the top. I could possibly make the topic appear unread, I'll have to think about it.
Can we be allowed to put smileys in topic titles?
I think eytanz already answered this one for me. :)

04-07-2004 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Stuwy wrote:
Can we choose what style of colour this forum can run on? Baby blue can get quite boring.
Matt C. and I will probably be changing the look of the site and the forum at some point in the future. I've done some work recently to make changing the look of the forum on a per-user basis easier - trying to put more and more stuff in the style sheets, so that changing the look is as simple as changing which style sheet is referenced.

To summarize: Not quite yet, but it very well may happen in a while.

04-07-2004 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
I think it would be fun to have a font for depicting sarcasm, which I imagine would be a reversed italics script. This would require a new font to be downloaded by the user though, so unless you know something about CSS I don't this is just a pipe dream, but I think it would be neat.

04-07-2004 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
We really should have all those /sarcasm, /disclaimer, and /justkidding, and all those tags. :D

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-07-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Would it be useful to add an "Attach File" box to the page to add a file to a poll directly, instead of having to attach the file to a post below?

04-08-2004 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
agaricus5 wrote:
Would it be useful to add an "Attach File" box to the page to add a file to a poll directly, instead of having to attach the file to a post below?
I don't see any reason to NOT do this.

As a matter of fact, if you edit the first post in a poll, you *can* add a file. So you definitely should be able to add one on creation as well.

04-09-2004 at 12:57 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
This has most likely been mentioned before, but isn't it possible in the Holds forum to have the hold architects name instead of admin?
04-10-2004 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
bandit1200 wrote:
This has most likely been mentioned before, but isn't it possible in the Holds forum to have the hold architects name instead of admin?
The architect's name is listed by both "Author Name" and "Submitted by", assuming that the author is the one who submitted it. Author Name comes from the person's username in DROD, while Submitted By comes from the person's forum username.

The post is made by admin so that the user cannot remove the attachment or update it with a new one - that can be done in the user's Profile.

04-10-2004 at 01:25 PM
bandit1200
Schik wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
The architect's name is listed by both "Author Name" and "Submitted by", assuming that the author is the one who submitted it. Author Name comes from the person's username in DROD, while Submitted By comes from the person's forum username.

The post is made by admin so that the user cannot remove the attachment or update it with a new one - that can be done in the user's Profile.
Sorry, I should have made my point a clearer. If one is looking for a hold by a certain person, but can't remember the name of the hold, there is no way of checking for that person without, at the moment, looking through 32 holds. I thought it might be better if the authors name accompanied the name of his/her hold, possibly in the subject or the description if it's not possible elsewhere on the main list.

No big deal, it just something that occurred to me when I was looking for a particular persons hold this morning.
04-10-2004 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
bandit1200 wrote:
Sorry, I should have made my point a clearer. If one is looking for a hold by a certain person, but can't remember the name of the hold, there is no way of checking for that person without, at the moment, looking through 32 holds.
Sure you can. Go to http://www.drod.net/forum/holds.php . This is the holds page we made for the main site. You can sort the holds by Architect's name even.

04-10-2004 at 02:04 PM
bandit1200
Schik wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
Sorry, I should have made my point a clearer. If one is looking for a hold by a certain person, but can't remember the name of the hold, there is no way of checking for that person without, at the moment, looking through 32 holds.
Sure you can. Go to http://www.drod.net/forum/holds.php . This is the holds page we made for the main site. You can sort the holds by Architect's name even.
Aha! I never use drod.net, only the forum. Maybe that is my mistake?
04-10-2004 at 10:14 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yeah - it should probably have a link on the forums as well.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-11-2004 at 09:57 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It does, on the Holds forum page. I might investigate putting it in the description of the Holds forum instead.

04-12-2004 at 05:26 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Two things regarding the member list.

1. Names that do not start with a letter are only showed when you click on "Member List". I propose adding another section for numbers and special characters.

2. Could we have a feature that sorted the members by country? I think it would be cool to be able to see all members from a certain country without having to search through them all.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-17-2004 at 08:17 PM
agaricus5
icon Re: Forum feature requests (+1)  
Is it possible to have some sort of drop-down box on the forum pages that allow you to jump to a board or thread from wherever you are, instead of having to go to the main page and select the board from there?

I have seen this in some other forums, and think it would make changing boards and threads much easier and more convenient.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 04-20-2004 at 09:16 PM GMT]

04-20-2004 at 10:15 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
agaricus5 wrote:
Is it possible to have some sort of drop-down box on the forum pages that allow you to jump to a board or thread from wherever you are, instead of having to go to the main page and select the board from there?
Uh, I think the Surf To drop-down box at the bottom of the page fits that bill.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-21-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I've sometimes wanted that box to be present on the Post a Message page, but the back button in the browser is just too useful. Perhaps the Surf To dropdown could be mimicked at the top of the page though, so you don't always have to scroll down to find it?

04-21-2004 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
mrimer wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Uh, I think the Surf To drop-down box at the bottom of the page fits that bill.
Oh, I never noticed it until now. :)

Thanks for informing me about it.

04-21-2004 at 05:40 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Would it be possible to add an option to display 24-hour time in stead of 12-hour am/pm ?

- Gerry

04-22-2004 at 07:34 PM
Schik
trick wrote:
Would it be possible to add an option to display 24-hour time in stead of 12-hour am/pm ?
Good idea. Done.

05-17-2004 at 10:08 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Schik wrote:
Good idea. Done.
Thank you!
05-17-2004 at 11:50 PM
DiMono
I just noticed that you've flipped the display order of moderated posts in the profile. Thanks for doing this, behind the scenes... out of curiosity, was it actually just a side-effect of the new server?

05-20-2004 at 07:26 AM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
I just noticed that you've flipped the display order of moderated posts in the profile. Thanks for doing this, behind the scenes... out of curiosity, was it actually just a side-effect of the new server?
I had to go through every file changing code, and this was one tiny thing I remembered was requested, so I just did it while I was in that file. Simple as adding " DESC" to the end of a query.

Sometime I'll have to change it so that it splits the modded posts into multiple pages.

05-20-2004 at 12:30 PM
DiMono
Schik wrote:
Simple as adding " DESC" to the end of a query.
Yeah, isn't sql great? :D

Edit: weird, I had an extra opening quote tag... I removed it.

[Edited by DiMono on 06-30-2004 at 12:17 AM GMT]

05-20-2004 at 07:18 PM
DiMono
In our profiles, could we have a list of holds we've submitted with links to their threads in the Holds board, and their difficulty and quality ratings as voted by we the people?

06-30-2004 at 01:16 AM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
In our profiles, could we have a list of holds we've submitted with links to their threads in the Holds board, and their difficulty and quality ratings as voted by we the people?
I should probably be able to add those columns to the existing "My Holds" area of your profile. I won't promise any time frame, as other responsibilities have been keeping me very busy lately.

07-03-2004 at 03:46 AM
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
How about "you have x new messages" and "Users/Guests active on this board" on each forum board instead of just the forum entry page?

The best hold in the world!
07-06-2004 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
I just scrolled through almost 200 sent PMs to find the one I wanted. Might it be reasonable, both from a PM outbox organization standpoint and from a server-space standpoint, to have some set amount of time before PMs are deleted, like say a month, unless specifically marked otherwise by the recipient?

So you have a bunch of PMs, any that you really want to keep you can mark as important, otherwise they all vanish a month after they've arrived or been read?

07-10-2004 at 04:59 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Can we PLEASE have a "Preview Message" button when editing a post. I just finished having fun adding in 3 markers into a DROD picture, and I coulda saved a lot of time if I could have seen it before I posted it.

07-11-2004 at 09:13 PM
HSE
Rank Points: 162
I think a spellchecker would be quite handy. Well, we don't need one but it'd make our posts look a bit nicer.
07-13-2004 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
<<6789
Page 10 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com