Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
<<891011
Page 12 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
We can lock threads - witness the April Fool 2004 thread, which I've locked because it seems the only thing that needs to be said is 'hey, I want to be a beta tester' 'umm, it's an April Fool's joke and it's over anyways'. It was a judgement call, and if anyone had anything else to add, I'll open it back up again.

We just don't lock threads very much, because the whole thing puts an unpleasant air on the conversation and doesn't really foster healthy conversation if there's people going around stopping conversation mid-go.

That said, we're probably not going to get lock-happy any time soon - I'm only planning on doing it where conversation is absolutely and utterly exhausted (for the example given, rooms brought up before, the amount of threads gives us a good indication on what rooms people are having difficulty with, in explaining it over and over, many players have found new ways of doing rooms and better ways of explaining solutions, and it's not really smart to heavily moderate the area where most people do their first postings anyway). I figured no-one would really talk about that particular April Fool's joke until the real beta is announced, and trust me, it'll have it's own thread.

Matt

08-03-2004 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Forum feature requests (+1)  
On the Holds overview page, is it possible to implement a randomization feature that lists the holds in a random order?

Right now, the holds that are most likely to get downloaded, I believe, are the holds that have names that begin with letters at the start of the alphabet, since they are the first thing you see when you look at the page. Having an option to randomize the hold listing (or even making it the default) will probably make it fairer (in the sense that they will have a more equal chance of getting viewed) to holds that are listed on the inner pages, and don't have especially distinguishing ratings, or a large number of downloads.

08-10-2004 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Or, maybe even better, get them ordered by ranking?
I think it would be very handy to have the ranking of a hold next to its title, just like the squares in the bugs forum (which luckily have dissapeared from the other forums)
08-13-2004 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
RubellaGolda wrote:
Or, maybe even better, get them ordered by ranking?
I think it would be very handy to have the ranking of a hold next to its title, just like the squares in the bugs forum (which luckily have dissapeared from the other forums)
I think you're talking about changing the Holds forum? agaricus5 was talking about the Holds page on the site - http://www.drod.net/forum/holds.php - which does allow sorting by rating, or pretty much anything else.

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:04-18-2005 at 03:05 PM]

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:04-18-2005 at 03:35 PM]

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:04-18-2005 at 04:14 PM]

08-13-2004 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Do you think we could have an option to "hide" all threads that have not been replied to in, say, a week?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
08-17-2004 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Do you think we could have an option to "hide" all threads that have not been replied to in, say, a week?
Sure! At the top of the topic index, click on the drop-down box that says "View All" and select "View topics from last 10 days". A little over a week, but it's close enough.

08-17-2004 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
the Holds page on the site - http://www.drod.net/forum/holds.php - which does allow sorting by rating, or pretty much anything else.

Speaking of the Holds page, is it possible to add a field for the date the hold was posted? As it is now, it would be difficult for someone who only visits the page every 3 or 4 weeks to figure out which holds they have downloaded and which they haven't.
08-17-2004 at 10:26 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Note : If the hold has not been rated it does not appear on the hold overview page.

FoE is on the list now because it's been rated now.

[Edited by Doom on 08-17-2004 at 05:17 PM GMT]
08-17-2004 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Good point. Sorting by date of posting would still allow people to miss holds that took a while to be rated. But, it would be better than sorting by downloads which seems to be the only current way of estimating which holds are new.

Oh, and by the way, Fortress of Eternity is available on the hold overview page now.
08-17-2004 at 12:05 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Could it be possible to implement a feature that indicates what you've voted in a poll?

I find it difficult to remember what I voted a few months before sometimes, and if it is revived later, I might want to compare it to the current votes now, which I cannot do with certainty.

10-04-2004 at 11:28 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Forum feature requests (+2)  
Back to this thread instead of creating new topic for every idea...

some ideas:

1 - Don't show poll messages before voting in a poll or viewing results. There could be one message from the author in the beginning that would be showed before voting in a poll. (could contain for example a zipped file of all contest entries.)
This allows all kinds of discussion about the poll without giving anything off to people who haven't voted.

2 - Question: Why does previewing erase attachments? In one other forum, you can add many attachments separately into one post and they don't disappear by previewing. Maybe at least the previewing thing could be fixed somehow...

3 - Agaricus' idea above would be nice too. I have absolutely no idea what I voted in some old polls.
11-16-2004 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Rank Points: 339
How about a restriction to one post every 30 seconds (may have been covered before). This will stop people inadvertantly double posting, then having to delete the post.
:yes

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
12-16-2004 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<891011
Page 12 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com