Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Page 1 of 12
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Forum feature requests (0)  
Let me have 'em.

Mike seems to crank out the bug fixes quicker than I can even read them, so in the meanwhile I might as well fix up the forum a bit.

I'm not saying everything (or anything, for that matter) requested will be done, but I'm sure some of you have some nice ideas I haven't thought of.

Since this is the last official version of this forum we can use (due to software versions on the server) I don't think that even major changes should be completely out of the question.

So, what would make this place even better?

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:11-17-2004 at 08:24 PM]

06-28-2003 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
It isn't a very major request, but how about the ability to change the color scheme?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
06-28-2003 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Many boards have the location the person is from. Put down your state, or your country if not USA or Canada, and then people have a general idea of where you are. Then it can even open up conversations like, "wow, you're in Australia, etc."

Hmmm...more "titles" earned by posting higher. Not necessarily "Legendary Smitemaster", but something beyond Delver would be nice. Master Exterminator?

This one is nitpicking, but I think that on this board when a signature is changed, it affects every post by that person. I kind of like it when the signature is bound to a particular post, because then if you want to change your sig the old one is still kept around for posterity. Now, this may be exactly the reason why people would want the signature changed, but perhaps that could be an option (check this box to overwrite all previous signatures).

That's all I can think of for now.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 06-28-2003 at 01:48 AM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-28-2003 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
I don't know how much work this is - if it's too much work it's definitely not worth it - but a "mark all threads read" option would be nice. I tend to read the forum on many different computers (1 at home, and we don't have individual computers yet in my department), and they accumulate unread messages that I already read on the other one.

06-28-2003 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Yes, what eytanz said--the posts marked as "read" should be based on the login name, not the computer's IP or whatever cookies it has or however it is done.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-28-2003 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Many boards have the location the person is from. Put down your state, or your country if not USA or Canada, and then people have a general idea of where you are. Then it can even open up conversations like, "wow, you're in Australia, etc."
Check out your profile... it has country in it. :) It's probably not used anywhere except in the profile, so you won't know a person's location without checking out their profile.

So... where could it go? Near the level and avatar in each post? I don't want to cram too much stuff in there probably. But then where?

when a signature is changed, it affects every post by that person
I don't see any technical reason we couldn't change this. The signature would just have to be inserted in each post instead of being added as you read them.

06-28-2003 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
Yes, what eytanz said--the posts marked as "read" should be based on the login name, not the computer's IP or whatever cookies it has or however it is done.

I agree, that's one thing I had on my list already.

06-28-2003 at 03:04 AM
Schik
Malarame wrote:
It isn't a very major request, but how about the ability to change the color scheme?
Are you thinking a few predefined color schemes that you can choose from? Or would you like to define everything on your own?

06-28-2003 at 03:07 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
Schik wrote:
Malarame wrote:
Are you thinking a few predefined color schemes that you can choose from? Or would you like to define everything on your own?
Just some predefined color schemes. That would probably be much easier.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
06-28-2003 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Schik wrote:
So, what would make this place even better?

Well I'd already made this first request to Erik before I knew who you were. I don't know if he forwarded it onto you.

The main way I read this forum is by email. At the moment, the DROD email I recieve basically looks like a prolonged mailbomb. It would be very useful to have both the name of the author of the message in the From field (not the email address, just the name) and also the name of the board in the subject line.

So From field would look something like

StuartK <no-reply@drod.net>

Subject would look like

[DROD.net The Site] Re: Forum feature requests

The board itself.

1) Profile edit link might be more visible :)

2) When adding a smiley or UBB code, have it inserted in the text at the cursor rather than appended to the end of the text

3) A software interface to the board which allows offline drafting of messages using a better editor. Also offline sorting, threading, filtering and searching of messages without having to download them all again.

:D
06-28-2003 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
StuartK wrote:
So From field would look something like

StuartK <no-reply@drod.net>

Subject would look like

[DROD.net The Site] Re: Forum feature requests
These sound reasonable, and easy. Erik, Maffy?

1) Profile edit link might be more visible :)
Yes. Since it's a link and I can't change the color of it without changing all links colors, I'll probably put it in a table with a different background color.

2) When adding a smiley or UBB code, have it inserted in the text at the cursor rather than appended to the end of the text
I guess I hadn't ever tried inserting one in the middle by clicking on one. Yeah, that shouldn't be too hard.

3) A software interface to the board which allows offline drafting of messages using a better editor. Also offline sorting, threading, filtering and searching of messages without having to download them all again.
Hmm... and do you want it accessible from within DROD, and when a new message is posted, a roach can run across the screen carrying a scroll that has the message on it? And for a new poll, several serpents will slither across the screen, carrying the question and options on their backs.

No seriously. Whoa.
While that (your part, not mine :)) sounds wonderful.... don't hold your breath. That sounds like quite an undertaking, basically rewriting the forum in C++. Not gonna happen, at least not by me.

06-28-2003 at 06:26 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Schik wrote:
These sound reasonable, and easy. Erik, Maffy?
Yes, this is a good way to do it.

Another thought I had: it would be good to be able to filter messages sent to you by board. In other words, I may be interested in "development", but another guy only wants to hear from "hints and solutions" and "general".

I'm anticipating (getting cocky again) much more traffic on the DROD boards.

-Erik

06-28-2003 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
When you view a post you've previously viewed and there are replies to it that you haven't read yet, it could jump straight to the first post you haven't read. That would be cool.

Hmm... I wonder how you combine cgi params and anchors?
Maybe:
message.php?TopicID=648#3725
Or maybe:
message.php#3725?TopicID=648

Or maybe something else, I have no idea.
-Bryan

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-28-2003 at 08:36 AM GMT: censoring my bad language -- improper use of the pluperfect]
06-28-2003 at 08:35 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
As it is now, the forum stores when i was last here in a cookie and uses that to figure out what posts are unread. When going from the index to a sub-index and back (or simply opening another sub-index in another tab too late), all new posts in other sub-indexes are marked as read, because that cookie is updated. I have a workaround (opening all sub-indexes in new tabs before they get to update that cookie, easy as a midclick, thankfully), but it would be nice if this was fixed.

Also, as someone mentioned above (i'm too lazy to go back and check who), storing the last-time information on the forum server in stead would be great (that would mean members-only, but hey, anyone can join, so that's no problem in my eyes :P). The best would be storing information about when each thread was last viewed, but that info can get large-ish as the amount of posts go up, so if you don't want that i understand. Saving last-viewed info for each sub-index should be ok, tho.

Another nice feature could be being able to quote multiple posts by selecting them before hitting reply (i tend to quote multiple posts a lot). Some javascript should be able to do it. Not required, tho (as if i could require features ;)), i'm happy simply copying text from the view below the message poster. It only shows the last 5 messages tho (which disappears once you preview!), so if i want to quote someone above that, i need to open another tab and read it there. Oh, the things i'm forced to do.

Also, what bdcribbs said.

..and, could you move the time and date of the posts towards the top of it ? The way it's down at the bottom now i sometimes mistake it for belonging to the post below.

Schik wrote:
Yes. Since it's a link and I can't change the color of it without changing all links colors, I'll probably put it in a table with a different background color.
Sure you can. That's what style sheets are for. Putting it in a table with background has the benefit of working in older browsers without style-sheet support, if they support backgrounds in tables, that is.. Think most of them support either both or none.

Hmm... and do you want it accessible from within DROD, and when a new message is posted, a roach can run across the screen carrying a scroll that has the message on it? And for a new poll, several serpents will slither across the screen, carrying the question and options on their backs.
Yes! Simply integrate an email-client into DROD, and make a filter to check for emails from the forum :D

This could be expanded later, so DROD would eventually become its own operating system: DROD-OS.

Or DOOD! Deadly OS Of Death :glasses

ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm anticipating (getting cocky again) much more traffic on the DROD boards.
Oh yes. Have no doubt, there'll be hordes of invading penguins here soon enough.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 06-28-2003 at 11:40 AM GMT: Dude!]
06-28-2003 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
I don't think I comprehend trick's above post entirely, but some of his explanation helps me understand what I thought was a just a buggy message board.

Under certain cirumstances unread (red) posts will become unred (still unread) posts before I've acually viewed them.

I'd call that a bug, and prioritize it above new feature requests.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-28-2003 at 12:06 PM]
06-28-2003 at 12:01 PM
bdcribbs
"unred" is not a word, but Shakespeare made up words so why cant I?

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-28-2003 at 12:12 PM]
06-28-2003 at 12:09 PM
Schik
trick wrote:
The best would be storing information about when each thread was last viewed, but that info can get large-ish as the amount of posts go up, so if you don't want that i understand. Saving last-viewed info for each sub-index should be ok, tho.
I agree, this would be best. I was thinking that perhaps, to keep size down a little, I could instead keep track of what is NOT read yet for each user. For most of us active users, that would generally be very little. It would only have to keep track of the first post in each thread that's not read - the rest are clearly not read either.

To weed out those inactive users, I could have it say something like:
If (user has more than 500 threads unread)
Mark everything read for that user.

This way we wouldn't be storing tons of info for inactive people. But then again... userid, threadid, first message unread - 3 ints per thread per person. We have 170ish users and say 700 threads. That's not THAT big of a table, even if nobody has read anything. My tables for Dugan's Dungeon room image creation are a lot bigger than that.

Having a "mark all threads as read" button would simply remove all your entries from the table.

[Edited by Schik on 06-28-2003 at 01:07 PM GMT: my tables is? sheesh]

06-28-2003 at 12:44 PM
trick
bdcribbs wrote:
I don't think I comprehend trick's above post entirely, but some of his explanation helps me understand what I thought was a just a buggy message board.
Um, yea. I'm a bit unclear at times, i know. I'll try to improve :)

Oh, and about those penguins, in case anyone wonders why i suddenly mentioned that: That's what linux users sometimes call themselves (because the mascot for linux, Tux, is a penguin). So no worries, i'm still sane. Well, relatively.

06-28-2003 at 12:53 PM
trick
Schik wrote:
I agree, this would be best. I was thinking that perhaps, to keep size down a little, I could instead keep track of what is NOT read yet for each user. For most of us active users, that would generally be very little. It would only have to keep track of the first post in each thread that's not read - the rest are clearly not read either.
Sounds good! And as a bonus, that would make it easy to jump to the newest post!

06-28-2003 at 01:04 PM
Schik
trick wrote:
Schik wrote:
Sure you can. That's what style sheets are for.
Okay, I plead ignorant on CSS. I'll look into it - sounds better than a crappy table hack.
Or DOOD! Deadly OS Of Death :glasses

Oh come on, you're a Linux guy! I expect you to know that we already HAVE a Deadly OS of Death... :)

06-28-2003 at 04:36 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think sorting would be really nice (online since offline sorting would be too much work). Especially in the challenge forum, where naming is consistent, it would be nice to be able to sort by name.

06-28-2003 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
trick wrote:
As it is now, the forum stores when i was last here in a cookie and uses that to figure out what posts are unread. When going from the index to a sub-index and back (or simply opening another sub-index in another tab too late), all new posts in other sub-indexes are marked as read
I've been testing the beta tonight so I've been coming to the forum frequently, and I have not seen a single red folder, though there have been plenty of new posts.
Edit: of course the minute I posted this I went back to the main page and saw one

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-29-2003 at 06:12 AM]
06-29-2003 at 06:11 AM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yes, this is a good way to do it.
The changed subject and from: line are done.

Another thought I had: it would be good to be able to filter messages sent to you by board. In other words, I may be interested in "development", but another guy only wants to hear from "hints and solutions" and "general".
I like it. I like it a lot. I'll put it in there soonish.

06-29-2003 at 03:04 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
Schik wrote:
And if you have email notification on, you see that this was screwy. :buh It's fixed.

06-29-2003 at 03:06 PM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
Schik wrote:

Thanks! A tiny cosmetic issue. Is it necessary to mention DROD.net in both From and Subject? One or the other would be fine. As a personal preference, I think it'd look better if it were kept just in the subject. Don't bother if you've got bigger fish to fry :P

[Edited by StuartK on 06-29-2003 at 05:28 PM GMT: fixed stoopid nested quotes]
06-29-2003 at 06:25 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Minor bug here: The angry smiley doesn't work. If you try to insert it, you get:

>:(

The problem is that the code is > : ( and the sad smiley code is : ( and the sad smiley seems to take precedence.

Edited to add: Yep, works now.

[Edited by Watcher on 06-30-2003 at 12:41 PM]

06-29-2003 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
StuartK wrote:
As a personal preference, I think it'd look better if it were kept just in the subject. Don't bother if you've got bigger fish to fry
I agree, I think. :) I've changed it... we can all try it out, if we don't like it we can try something else.
Angry smiley should be fixed now too. :evilmad:

06-29-2003 at 11:14 PM
StuartK
2 more requests

1. Make the edit box bigger please. Wider if possible (dependant on screen size?) 2 or 3 more lines.

2. When performing a 'quote reply' show the message being quoted below the edit box, similar to a normal reply.
07-01-2003 at 06:58 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
A couple of minor but irritiating things...

When you click Preview message, the previous 5 replies below the box disappear. This is annoying as I frequently Preview then completely change my message and want to see what the last few posts have said.

Also, the width of the post screen has been altered and it doesn't fit in 800 by 600 any more. Yes, most people use bigger resolutions but I'm sure there are some other people out there who like everything on screen to be large.

Oh, yeah and I really want to have more post levels. Gives us some incentive to stay here. Not that talking about DROD isn't an incentive anyway...

"Oook!"
07-09-2003 at 09:27 PM
Oneiromancer
The date/time stamp noting that a message was edited is always GMT, regardless of the reader's time zome settings. This should always be whatever the individual sets.

Game on,

07-12-2003 at 01:59 AM
Page 1 of 12
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com