Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cheats for testing purposes
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Cheats for testing purposes (0)  
In the testing of 1.5, there were cheats put in for testing purposes. Are they in this beta? If so, what are they?
06-26-2003 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Cheats for testing purposes (0)  
Cheats are disabled in the beta.

06-26-2003 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
bradwall wrote:
In the testing of 1.5, there were cheats put in for testing purposes. Are they in this beta? If so, what are they?
If we need the cheat codes for the beta, I'll put them back in. I had them earlier for helping people play through the rooms more quickly. Generally, I try to keep the builds as close to what we will release as possible.

-Erik

06-27-2003 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
What are the cheats? Are they helpful in the editor as well? skipping rooms/levels is obviously pointless there, but if there are cheats that make beethro invulnerable or otherwise change the rules they might make testing one's own levels easier - in which case, I'd recommend turning them on in the editor (only).

06-27-2003 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Cheats for testing purposes (0)  
eytanz wrote:
What are the cheats?
Oh, typical stuff--kill all the monsters in the room, skip to the next level, move to the next room.
Are they helpful in the editor as well?
I don't think they are. Reenabling the checkpoints, like you suggested in another topic, would be reasonable. I think maybe they were disabled to fix another bug.
skipping rooms/levels is obviously pointless there, but if there are cheats that make beethro invulnerable or otherwise change the rules they might make testing one's own levels easier - in which case, I'd recommend turning them on in the editor (only).
It's more complicated than it sounds. Besides making Beethro invulnerable, we'd need to change the solvability check to ignore games where cheating was used. The reward-to-effort ratio doesn't look good.

-Erik

06-27-2003 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah, thanks. I think you're right, then - cheats should be left off.

06-27-2003 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Excuse me for ressurrecting an old topic. Adam came up with a good compromise for including game cheats in the level editor. When playtesting rooms, undoing moves will be allowed by pressing the Backspace key. This will be included in the next patch.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-14-2004 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Cheats for testing purposes (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Excuse me for ressurrecting an old topic. Adam came up with a good compromise for including game cheats in the level editor. When playtesting rooms, undoing moves will be allowed by pressing the Backspace key. This will be included in the next patch.
Oh, and on that note, is it possible to have some sort of allowance for death, so that if a move is made that causes death, a box pops up and allows us to undo the move, thus allowing better use of the undo feature? I suppose it could get annoying to some people, so an option to turn it on or off perhaps might also be an idea.

04-14-2004 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
agaricus5 wrote:
Oh, and on that note, is it possible to have some sort of allowance for death, so that if a move is made that causes death, a box pops up and allows us to undo the move, thus allowing better use of the undo feature? I suppose it could get annoying to some people, so an option to turn it on or off perhaps might also be an idea.
Hey, good job remembering that one. Well, at least Erik had talked about it a couple years ago on the old Yahoo DROD group. I've put something in for DROD 1.7/2.0/2.718281828 so that if you die while playtesting you can undo the move during the death sequence.

04-14-2004 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yeah, this will be really helpful. How many moves can you undo?

And is there an option to turn it off if you want?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-20-2004 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Yeah, this will be really helpful. How many moves can you undo?
As many as you want, but not more than you have made.
And is there an option to turn it off if you want?
What do you mean? You just don't use it if you don't want to.

04-20-2004 at 10:05 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Well, yeah, I suppose. What if you're at the start of the room? It just doesn't work? Or can you undo into previous rooms? That might also be helpful.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-21-2004 at 06:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cheats for testing purposes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com