Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Unregistered posting.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Innocuous Innominate
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Unregistered posting. (0)  
You might want to enable unregistered posting. I've been regularly browsing this forum for over a week, and have known about it since the day it started, but it took me until now to build up the courage to register a username. The number of guests active is usually equal to that of the number of members active. You could probably greatly increase the number of bug reports/requests and overall participation by enabling unregistered posting. Not that I encourage people to not register, but some people just need to dip their feet in the water before jumping into the pool, you know?

[Edited by Innocuous Innominate on 06-26-2003 at 01:47 PM]
06-26-2003 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Unregistered posting. (0)  
Surely this isn't such a scarey board that people won't want to attach a name to their postings? Especially since you really don't have to include any real-world information anywhere. There hasn't been a single flame war since this board was established, and I don't forsee any new ones soon.

The problem with unregistered posters is that spammers eventually find the board and then all hell breaks loose.

In addition, while I can't speak for the dev team, in my own projects I generally don't want to get anonymous bug reports. Without knowing who sent the report, it's impossible to connect various bug reports to each other (and posting anonymously and signing the reports is really silly).

Anyway, now that you're registered - welcome on board!

06-26-2003 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Not that it's up to me, but I feel the same way. Going from lurker to member always seems to be as though you are committing something... it makes no sense, but I feel more comfortable posting a couple of times as a guest first. Stupid, but true.

However, I think I can say without any fear that nobody here is going to do anything awful to new members of the board. Even if you post something tactless like "DROD sux!!!" we still won't hurt you.

Well, not much anyway. :D

"Oook!"
06-26-2003 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I don't think anonymous posts should be allowed. As eytanz said, that opens the problem that spammers could abuse the forum and people can participate in flame wars without having to worry about their name being connected to it.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
06-28-2003 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Speaking of spammers,

What if a spammer registered?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-23-2003 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
One of the Legendary Smitemasters would delete posts, and more than likely eventually kill off the spammer, and block the IP address.

08-23-2003 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Unregistered posting. (0)  
There's a subtle psychological factor here. If you feel anonymous, you're more likely to write something stupid or nasty in a bored moment. If you have that small amount of impetus to fill out a form, then you aren't in that same irresponsible mood and are more likely to take pains with what you say. Of course there aren't really any significant consequences to worry about either way, but I think it still works that way in people's heads.

Also, I find it unsatisfying to read anonymous posts. I like to associate an identity with a person's message. If we had a lot of anonymous posts, the board would have much less personality.

I already pointed this article out in a different topic, but I will do it again since it goes along with this:

A Group is Its Own Worst Enemy by Clay Shirky

...I found this very interesting!

-Erik

08-23-2003 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I read that article as well.

An idea I just had is a "mosh pit", or something to that effect, where anonymous posting was allowed, but the messages were removed after a short time of inactivity. To get any sort of discussion going, or indeed to participate in the community, you'd have to register, but people could come in, post and run off again.

Of course, this probably would work. More thought needed.

Matt

08-23-2003 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Unregistered posting.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com