Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (If Erik was to create and sell a DROD soundtrack for $10 USD, would you buy it?)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
If Erik was to create and sell a DROD soundtrack for $10 USD, would you buy it?
Don't be stupid! Of course I would! (Yes)
Highly doubt it (No)
My name is Erik Hermansen.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (+2)  
If I can get 9 more people to click the "yes" option, then Erik will make and sell a DROD Soundtrack CD. "But Patrick," you probably ask to yourself in or head or yell out in front of company. "Why should I get a CD full of music that I already have on my computer?" Well, Timmy*, these are the top reasons as to why you want to get yourself a DROD CD:

-There is no legal way to get the music from the game. Thus, you can brag to all your friends about how you are a law-abiding citizen.
-The profit off the CD will go towards Erik and making newer and better versions of DROD. Isn't that reason enough?
-Ten bucks can't buy you a normal CD. Think of the value!
-You won't have to have to have a computer to listen to the music.
-Your parents/spouse/friends won't be yelling at you for listening to your "bad music" loudly in the car on a 8 hour road trip, but will want the CD to listen to themselves. Then, when you arrive, you can get them to buy you some food for letting them listen to your cool music.
-The music is cool. Don't deny it!
-Erik is cool. Try and deny it. I dare you. :angry

Need I say more? So, the next time you find a $20 lying on the ground, don't head to the nearby grocery store for a pail of ice cream and 4L of Coke and sit on the couch watching Seinfeld reruns, but buy the CD. The programmer you save may be your own!

*Odds are high your name isn't Timmy.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:05-15-2005 at 10:00 PM: Stupid size tags]

05-15-2005 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (+1)  
Um...

To be fair, I'd probably have chosen the "Maybe" option if there was one, since the music isn't exactly of the most interesting type and so I'd probably end up using it as background music, rather than music I'd listen to directly.

Then again, I may just buy it anyway (note the may - I'm an excellent procrastinator with non-important things), since as you say, purchasing a CD would be benefiting Erik, and so the whole DROD related community.

05-15-2005 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Phweengee
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
I'd be more interested in it if it was Webfoot DROD music. But I realize that's probably not possible, and either way, one could extract the music and make a cd on one's own.

05-16-2005 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
icon Re: The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (0)  
I'll definitely get it, but I also wish that all of the DROD (from Webfoot, 1.6, and JtRH) music was included on the CD.

Speaking of which, what all will be on the CD? Just JtRH music?

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:05-17-2005 at 02:26 PM]

05-16-2005 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (+2)  
Discounting Erik, Erik, Erik, Erik, and Erik, it's looking to be a close call.
05-16-2005 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
This album would be a dream come true.

I'll leave it at that.
05-16-2005 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Okay, the people have spoken, and like Ross Perot, I cannot ignore the will of the people. A bit later I'll make the CD and put it up for sale at ten bucks.

-Erik

05-16-2005 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Phweengee
Alrighty, but will you answer us what you anticipate it'll contain? :)

05-17-2005 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Well, I'll have to think about it. Probably to begin with we'd just have a JtRH CD and see how that goes. If it's popular enough, then I might follow up with an AE music CD. There is a slim chance that we could get Lars' music from Webfoot onto something, but... I just don't know now.

-Erik

05-17-2005 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I prefer the AE music to the JtRH music (I like both, I just really like the AE music), but then I probably wouldn't buy either on CD since I rarely listen to music other than when I'm playing video games.

05-17-2005 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
There seem to be many Eriks here. I highly doubt if I would buy a CD like that. Certainly the background tracks of DROD JtrH/AE are very good for the purpouse they were made : Background Music ; makeing the game more playworth.....

But hearing those songs on your way to school ? I cant imagine hearing Iceworks Neutal (Wiiieeed, wüüüüüüüd.....) or Sanctum (Dord AE) with my friends.
05-17-2005 at 11:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
If I thought I were going to have any money to spare any time soon, I'd vote yes. But for now, I'll just kill two law-abiding birds with one stone, rip the music from DROD, and attempt to steal Erik's identity by choosing that option instead.

05-17-2005 at 11:59 AM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
If I thought I were going to have any money to spare any time soon, I'd vote yes. But for now, I'll just kill two law-abiding birds with one stone, rip the music from DROD, and attempt to steal Erik's identity by choosing that option instead.
If you want to do that, I'm cool with it. Just don't distribute the music files.

-Erik

05-17-2005 at 05:41 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (+2)  
So it's okay to steal your identity ? Cool.

- Erik
05-17-2005 at 09:27 PM
ErikH2000
trick wrote:
So it's okay to steal your identity ? Cool.
Hey, everybody should know what it's like to be me. Mostly it's a good ride, but you get pretty angstful about being five years behind on everything.

-Erik

05-17-2005 at 09:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Just letting you know, something awful's going to happen in September 2006.

(Are we far enough away from that now to make jokes about it? Hope so.)

05-18-2005 at 03:04 AM
Phweengee
Well, not to sound like a snooty customer, but here's my honest opinion. I'd only buy a soundtrack as a set containing all 3 versions. (But I'd be willing to pay more than $10 for it). Webfoot DROD is my favorite music, but I have this obsessive habit of being a completionist when it comes to this sort of thing. Ask me about my Final Fantasy Soundtrack collection :) Just wanted to throw my two greckles into it. Like I said, I hope I don't come across as snooty:)

05-18-2005 at 03:51 AM
ErikH2000
At first I set out to put all of the Journey to Rooted Hold tunes on one CD, but I noticed two things. 1. I was over 74 minutes of audio, so it couldn't be done. 2. Many songs were quite short and didn't lend themselves well to listening in a non-game setting. So I decided to put mostly just the longer songs from the game on the CD and call it "volume 1". Here is the track listing:

DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold

1. After Paraguay
2. Ancient Machine
3. Brood
4. In My Skin
5. Far Enough
6. Uncovered
7. Last Gameshow
8. I've Been Here
9. The Steady Smite

DROD: Architects' Edition

10. Whistler
11. The Spaces
12. Delusions
13. Nightwalk
14. The Way Down
15. Fortune
16. Glad You Came
17. Waiting
18. The End of the Game

This fills up one CD with little room to spare. A little bonus: you get the full 3-part version of Ancient Machine instead of just "part 1" which is heard in-game. The other 2 parts of the song didn't fit the energetic mood I wanted in the game, so they weren't present.

For the completionists like Phweengee: I understand how you think--I am the same way. Like I won't buy a DVD containing TV show episodes unless I know I can have the whole season. This volume 1 CD is a test. If I sell enough copies to warrant making a volume 2/3 CD, then I can do things like contact Lars and Emmett about putting some of their music on CD, adding special versions of songs, and of course, getting those songs that were passed over for volume 1 onto other CDs. I think a little bit of time should be spent on the short songs to extend them and give them nice endings before they go on a CD. But before any work like that is put in, I should see how popular volume 1 is.

I'll put the CD order in for "Deadly Music of Death - Volume I" sometime today. Should be available in the store by June.

-Erik

05-18-2005 at 10:20 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
out of curiosity, can you tell us when we hear those various tunes in the game? besides "the end of the game", which is obvious, I'm not sure when the rest come in :)

05-18-2005 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
JtRH Style 1 - After Paraguay, Ancient Machine, Brood
JtRH Style 2 - In My Skin, Far Enough, Uncovered, Last Gameshow
JtRH Style 3 - I've Been Here, The Steady Smite
AE Intro - Whistler
AE Style 1 - The Spaces
AE Style 3 - Delusions
AE Style 4 - Nightwalk
AE Style 6 - The Way Down
AE Style 7 - Fortune
AE Style 8 - Glad You Came
AE Style 9 - Waiting
AE End - The End of the Game

And I may be off on some of these. Consult your DROD.INI for an authoritive answer.

-Erik

05-18-2005 at 10:42 PM
gamer_extreme_101
More specifically (and correctly, in DROD:AE's case)...

1. After Paraguay - Foundation Puzzle 1
2. Ancient Machine - Foundation Attack 2
3. Brood - Foundation Puzzle 2
4. In My Skin - Deep Spaces Attack 1
5. Far Enough - Deep Spaces Attack 2
6. Uncovered - Deep Spaces Puzzle 1
7. Last Gameshow - Deep Spaces Puzzle 2
8. I've Been Here - Iceworks Puzzle 1
9. The Steady Smite - Iceworks Puzzle 2

10. Whistler - Title Screen
11. The Spaces - Style One
12. Delusions - Style Two
13. Nightwalk - Style Four
14. The Way Down - Style Six
15. Fortune - Style Eight
16. Glad You Came - Style Five
17. Waiting - Style Nine
18. The End of the Game - Either the Credits' "Settledown" or "WeSeeYouNow".

At least, those are all according to my drod.ini files.

05-18-2005 at 11:18 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Then I am in eager anticipation of DMODv1. It addresses my main concern (not including AE music) and seems to have my favorite tunes. Happiness and joy.

05-18-2005 at 11:49 PM
ks_elessar
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
And the music from WebFoot DROD?
05-21-2005 at 05:23 PM
gamer_extreme_101
ks_elessar wrote:
And the music from WebFoot DROD?
...isn't Erik's, therefore he doesn't have permission to distribute it for money. He'd have to go through a whole schwack of legality with the composer and get permission along with giving him royalties and such.

05-21-2005 at 05:26 PM
J.L.
Rank Points: 38
Regarding LKA's DROD soundtrack, I'd like to take this opportunity to dig up a thread:
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2961&page=0#56875
05-22-2005 at 04:03 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (+3)  
Deadly Music of Death - Volume One is up for sale now. Check it out! Note that the price of the CD is really ten bucks, like I said it would be, because $14.95 includes shipping. In the near future, I'll have shipping separated out, but for now it has to be added in to the product price.

Volume 2: Here is the deal I'll make with you guys. I printed up 50 CDs. If I sell half of them, I'll be a little past my break-even point for printing the CDs. So if we sell 25 CDs this year, I'll go ahead and make a volume 2. For volume 2, I'd try (not promise) to get some tracks from Emmett (JtRH title music composer) and Lars (Webfoot DROD composer). And I'd extend some of the too-short tracks from JtRH and AE into full-length songs--that would give more CD-exclusive material and be a step towards making the completionists happy.

-Erik

06-06-2005 at 12:10 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Excellent! As soon as I pay back the money I owe my parents and get an extra $20, I'll be sure to get it.

As a final question, did you burn the CDs yourself, or were they custom-made?

06-06-2005 at 01:41 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Sweeeeet... I'll have you know that this CD will be* my very first internet purchase with my first debit card.

*has been - just ordered it. :)
06-06-2005 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
As a final question, did you burn the CDs yourself, or were they custom-made?
I use Discmakers to print the CDs. Same for JtRH CDs, although the 1st batch of JtRH was entirely Erik-made. I have these nice printers and tools here to one-off CDs, but it just takes so much time. The Discmakers print quality is really good.

-Erik

06-06-2005 at 03:26 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I've ordered my CD! This stuff is great! :w00t

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-06-2005 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The DROD Soundtrack CD petition (If Erik was to create and sell a DROD soundtrack for $10 USD, would you buy it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com