Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Review request
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Review request (0)  
SubTerra has been mentioned on Home of the Underdogs www.the-underdogs.org) for some time now, and received one of their 'top dog' rewards.

However, as someone recently pointed out, the review (written by a longtime die-hard fan) is actually more like an advertisement, as it discusses little about the game itself, but instead states how cool it is.

So I was wondering, if any of you has way too much time on their hands anyway, if that person would consider writing a new review from scratch. (I'd do it myself except that I don't think it'd be fair for me to review my own games). Thank you for your time!

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=SubTerra

05-15-2005 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Review request (0)  
Just something on the side but it is getting kind of annoying about the link "-" bug.

05-16-2005 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Review request (+1)  
Yeah, that's a bug. I might have to "persuade" someone to fix it ;) Or put it into the faq.

In the meantime, there's a temporary fix for it.

Read the following post for more details:
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3480&page=2#57228

In short:
use & # 4 5 ; (without the spaces) instead of -.

05-16-2005 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
PPKK
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I'd write one, but what should it be: simple html with images or what?
05-16-2005 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Simple HTML (i.e. basic bold/italic stuff), no images (a screenshot is already there; HOTU doesn't put additional graphics in the text). Check out the-underdogs.org for some samples, but note that even if their layout is, their review style is far from uniform so you're free to use your own.

05-17-2005 at 08:03 AM
PPKK

File: good_words.html (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Other
I have PM-ed (sent via private message) something like underdogs style review, oh, and attached it.
05-22-2005 at 07:22 AM
PPKK
Raw review candidate (one typo corrected):
<b>SubTerra</b> is a <b>Boulderdash</b>-like game. For those, who don't
know or remember the original, I describe: you have to quarry diamonds, trying
to evade toppling stones. However, most elements of the game are improved,
the means and procedures for reaching your goal are slightly different.
This game has average graphics (not as great, as, for example, in <b>Pac-Man
adventures in time</b> compared to old <b>Pac-Man</b>) because <b>SubTerra</b>
is rather a fan remake, than a carefully planned product by a major. The game
developed slowly, and has risen from not very big commercial version to neat
freeware with 450 levels, including expansion packs.
<p>
Of course, many things have passed from 1984, when <b>Boulderdash</b> appeared, but bells
and whistles of <b>SubTerra</b> don't ruin the puzzle. The game successfully incorporates
levels, that could appear in <b>Boulderdash</b> (<i>yes, <b>SubTerra</b> is not an assemblage
of well known levels: many puzzles are indeed original</i>), several <b>Soko-ban</b>-like
levels (and one levelset of about 70 levels), original <b>Supaplex</b> levelset and many
brain-teasers in decent style of <i>Pieter Simoons</i>.
<p>
<p>
The game itself is very addicting. One can easily spend days and nights trying to solve
a pattern, carefully time or plan his movements 30 steps ahead.
<p>
Yes, it's true. But many games are. This game has more: many friends of mine, who turned
back games other games I played, accepted <b>SubTerra</b>. The astonishing fact is that
they weren't gamers, but the simple, neat and intelligent atmosphere conquered their minds.
<p>
Now about the atmosphere: you don't have to replay level, awaiting good
circumstances, because almost all events and consequences of your moves are predictable.
If you have problems with timing, you can set gamespeed lower (the game has 9 values).
If you have real troubles, you can solve the puzzle partially, getting fewer points.
102 initial levels ("Prime SubTerra") are formed in rectangle 6*17, so that many puzzles
open two next ones: one to the right and one downwards. After about a month of playing,
you "open" (can access) almost all levels, having succeeded only in one half of them.
Two careful documentations (for the beginners and the complete one) and 17 tutorial levels
certainly help.
<p>
One of my favorite features of this game is the coexistence of easy, fun levels with really
challenging ones. According to the <i>Hall of Fame</i> on the official site of the game
(as far, as I can understand, you can still try to get into it), the eleventh player has achieved
rank 4 of 10! Another good thing is the Community of <b>SubTerra</b> (<i>yes, there is more,
than public Hall of Fame</i>). The game includes accurate
level-editor, and there were three annual expansion packs: the best amateur
levels of 2002, 2003 and 2004.
<p>
Of course, there are some glitches: it's not so easy to switch to another task on some
systems, and after switching <b>SubTerra</b> crashes. The animated tiles on some levels
are extremely annoying (large areas of water, fire,...). However, if you have
a friend, who thinks, that puzzles on computer are only for kids, you can drastically
disappoint him (or her) and captivate the same time.
<p>
Be that as it may, this game is surely
must-have (and try) for anyone, who enjoys solving puzzles.
<p>

[Edited by PPKK at Local Time:05-24-2005 at 01:38 AM: Comment: <tags> were supposed to be.]
05-24-2005 at 01:35 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Review request
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com