Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : File corrupted (Can't download new holds)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
IP: Logged
icon File corrupted (+1)  
DROD:JTRH has been working fine for me up until now, but now whenever I try to download a new hold I receive this message:

ERROR: File corrupted

But every hold I try to download is 'corrupted'. Thinking that this was a problem with my player file, I made a copy of the whole installation with DROD running (although I'm not entirely sure at what point). Then I exported and re-imported my player file. Don't ask my why. Anyway, the problem is still there. I don't really know much about the backup files, so I don't want to fiddle around with them in case I break something. But I have been reloading DROD several times, so I doubt the backups in the original copy will do any good, assuming that they're overwritten each play. What does this error appear, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Sim
05-06-2005 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
icon Re: File corrupted (+1)  
Strange, now I can't even connect to CaravelNet in-game. I've tried my old key, my new key, typing in my new key again by hand, unticking the 'Connect to Internet' option, but all to no avail. Maybe this is a temporary problem, but still, my original problem remains unsolved.

And in case it helps, this is my drod.err:

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 5/6/05 5:17PM ***
Assertion error in line 913 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbXML.cpp: "!decodedSize"
Assertion error in line 913 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbXML.cpp: "!decodedSize"
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 5/6/05 6:53PM ***
*** 5/6/05 6:59PM ***
*** 5/6/05 7:05PM ***

[Edited by Sim at Local Time:05-08-2005 at 02:50 PM: Added error log]
05-08-2005 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: File corrupted (0)  
Sim wrote:
Strange, now I can't even connect to CaravelNet in-game. I've tried my old key, my new key, typing in my new key again by hand, unticking the 'Connect to Internet' option, but all to no avail. Maybe this is a temporary problem, but still, my original problem remains unsolved.
Thanks for these reports. I've read over them and what you're trying seems to be the right way to go but I don't know what could be causing this problem. We've tightened up the CaravelNet code a smidge in the upcoming patch, so that might fix your problem...I dunno.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-09-2005 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
I am experiencing an identical problem, including the identical error line. Attempting to download the "Claythro Tower" hold seems to be what caused it.
05-11-2005 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Requesting and entering a new key fixed the problem for me.
05-12-2005 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
I can reproduce this problem 100% of the time by trying to download the greyed out Fortress of Eternity (while I have a black Fortress of Eternity already downloaded, but it doesn't send scores to caravel) or by trying to download "Rowthrow Budkin's:how to keep idiots busy" whilst I have the "rowrow's hold:how to keep idiots busy" already downloaded.

either of those says, "you've already downloaded this" and taints my caravel key.

05-12-2005 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Thanks kzc and silver, it works now :). Hopefully this will get fixed in the next patch.
05-12-2005 at 07:54 AM
mrimer
silver wrote:
I can reproduce this problem 100% of the time by trying to download the greyed out Fortress of Eternity (while I have a black Fortress of Eternity already downloaded, but it doesn't send scores to caravel) or by trying to download "Rowthrow Budkin's:how to keep idiots busy" whilst I have the "rowrow's hold:how to keep idiots busy" already downloaded.

either of those says, "you've already downloaded this" and taints my caravel key.
Thanks, everyone, for the bug reports on these. I think these holds have been repaired on CaravelNet because I'm not able to reproduce this problem for any of these holds, but I could be wrong. However, I've fixed the message about the holds being corrupted on import when they weren't really downloaded. Please follow up here if this problem is still happening for you on any holds.

05-20-2005 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I think there's still something wrong.

There are 3 holds right now that don't disappear from the download list if I download them.

Egg's Dungeon
Egg's Treasure Tower
Fortress of Eternity

Also, FoE is still the old version. Is it simply not updated yet?

If I try to download any of those three after downloading them already, I get the error about file being same or older version and ignored. It also breaks my caravelnet key... There aren't any new lines in drod.err
05-20-2005 at 06:14 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I used to have problems downloading A Collection of Constant Room Templates and rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy., but after I made a clean reinstall a while ago, I haven't had any problems at all (my list is complete - no grey holds).

FoE and some other holds are not updated yet. I think Schik's been busy with some other more important stuff lately.

05-20-2005 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Stefan wrote:
but after I made a clean reinstall a while ago, I haven't had any problems at all (my list is complete - no grey holds).

How do you reinstall the game? The game has no reinstall option, just an uninstall.
05-20-2005 at 12:57 PM
Stefan
That's what I meant. I exported my player, uninstalled DROD, Intalled DROD again, made a new player and connected to CaravelNet with it, imported (downloaded) all holds again, imported my old player and deleted the new one.

05-20-2005 at 01:06 PM
mrimer
Stefan wrote:
That's what I meant. I exported my player, uninstalled DROD, Intalled DROD again, made a new player and connected to CaravelNet with it, imported (downloaded) all holds again, imported my old player and deleted the new one.
Thanks for outlining this process. Note that in JtRH you can import your previous player profile at the very beginning, download the holds again (its CaravelNet key should still be valid for the moment if you didn't use it any more after exporting it), and then reimport the same player profile. Importing it this second time will now import the player's saved games for all of these holds. No more need to make a temporary player while you import holds after a clean install!

05-20-2005 at 01:20 PM
mrimer
Stefan wrote:
I used to have problems downloading A Collection of Constant Room Templates and rowrows hold:How To Keep Idiots busy., but after I made a clean reinstall a while ago, I haven't had any problems at all (my list is complete - no grey holds).
Great. I've updated some stuff in the next patch of JtRH so it shouldn't have problems with these holds in general any more too, just in case.

05-20-2005 at 01:25 PM
Blondbeard
Stefan wrote:
Ok. But I donīt have a DROD cd, so after Iīve uninstalled the game, how do I install it again?
05-20-2005 at 01:35 PM
mrimer
Blondbeard wrote:
Ok. But I donīt have a DROD cd, so after Iīve uninstalled the game, how do I install it again?
When you purchased the game, you downloaded it to your hard drive. Run that same file you downloaded to reinstall it.

05-20-2005 at 01:37 PM
Stefan
mrimer wrote:
Note that in JtRH you can import your previous player profile at the very beginning, download the holds again (its CaravelNet key should still be valid for the moment if you didn't use it any more after exporting it), and then reimport the same player profile. Importing it this second time will now import the player's saved games for all of these holds. No more need to make a temporary player while you import holds after a clean install!
Yes, I know (I've done it dozens of times), but in order to make a clean install, you need to make a temporary player. Why? Because when you import an old player, there is a chance that there's some information in it that will get imported that conflicts with the newly downloaded holds (or something else). This is what happened to me when I downloaded A Collection of Constant Room Templates: The hold on CaravelNet was made by "Patrick", but every time I downloaded it with my player (after a new install) it said it was created by "Patrick Fisher" and that it wasn't published on CaravelNet. I think Schik fixed it somehow (we spent some time diagnosing the problem), but the only way I could download that hold correctly at that time was to do as I described above.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:05-20-2005 at 02:17 PM]

05-20-2005 at 02:15 PM
mrimer
Stefan wrote:
Yes, I know (I've done it dozens of times), but in order to make a clean install, you need to make a temporary player. Why? Because when you import an old player, there is a chance that there's some information in it that will get imported that conflicts with the newly downloaded holds (or something else). This is what happened to me when I downloaded A Collection of Constant Room Templates: The hold on CaravelNet was made by "Patrick", but every time I downloaded it with my player (after a new install) it said it was created by "Patrick Fisher" and that it wasn't published on CaravelNet. I think Schik fixed it somehow (we spent some time diagnosing the problem), but the only way I could download that hold correctly at that time was to do as I described above.
Ahhh, yes. I appreciate you and Matt working on this back then. We made a fix that will be in the next patch (I plan to release it this weekend) that prevents this from happening any more, so there shouldn't be any side effects of downloading holds from an old player profile like this in 2.0.7.

05-20-2005 at 02:30 PM
Blondbeard
Mrimer wrote:
When you purchased the game, you downloaded it to your hard drive. Run that same file you downloaded to reinstall it.
Ok. Thatīs not good. I reinstalled my windows not long ago. I saved the game, but I think that that downloaded file is lost forever. :no Could I get a new one? I hope I do not have to buy the game again if I want to reinstall it.
By the way. Is it ok to go of-topic like this? If not Iīm really sory.
05-20-2005 at 02:32 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Blondbeard wrote:
Ok. Thatīs not good. I reinstalled my windows not long ago. I saved the game, but I think that that downloaded file is lost forever. :no Could I get a new one? I hope I do not have to buy the game again if I want to reinstall it.
By the way. Is it ok to go of-topic like this? If not Iīm really sory.
You certainly do not have to buy the game again. We've got this CaravelNet downloads area working pretty well I believe, so we will soon be putting the game there for people to re-download in circumstances like yours.

05-20-2005 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Blondbeard!

Send an e-mail to erikh@caravelgames.com from the same e-mail address you used to place the order. Say, "Hey can I get my download link refreshed?" and we'll go from there.

If you aren't sure about the e-mail address used on the order, e-mail me anyhow and I'll ask some questions that will make sure nobody is trying to make off with a free copy. Pardon my paranoia--it happens.

-Erik

05-20-2005 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
At long last, 2.0.7 fixes it so I can correctly download my last greyed out hold (Fortress of Eternity) and have it properly connected to CaravelNet and not showing up with a second-greyed-out copy below. Yay.

05-24-2005 at 03:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : File corrupted (Can't download new holds)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com