Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : export/reimport question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon export/reimport question (0)  
my sound appears to be bugged, badly. but only for JtRH. it was fine this morning, but then I shut the machine down (cleanly, JtRH wasn't running) and now all the sounds have a great deal of noise attached.

since the time from "good sound" to "bad sound" contained no events other than a reboot, and because sounds work for everything else, I assume this is a data problem and not a code problem.

so I was going to reinstall.

I'm exporting my player now. it's taking a while so I assume it's exporting all my demos? (hope. hope. hope.)...

but what I'd really like is a "export all holds and players and demos" feature - for, you know, reinstall purposes.

04-30-2005 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: export/reimport question (0)  
Well, feature request noted, but...

You might want to just install to a new directory once to test that the sound problem goes away. Then mess with the export/import business. It's possible that the new installation will not have fixed the sound problem.

On the other hand, any serious DROD player ought to export his files occasionally to make a backup. This of course only emphasizes the value of your suggested new feature.

-Erik

04-30-2005 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
on a lark, I hit the latest patch first, and the issues pretty much went away.

but, yah, a feature to export everything I'd like backed up. mmm. tasty.

EDIT: nevermind, I just hadn't run it long enough to hear the sound was still bad.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 12:47 AM]

04-30-2005 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: export/reimport question (+1)  
I've had a somehwat similar sound problem, but it only happens in Windows after my computer gets back from sleep-mode while DROD:AE/JtRH is running. I think it's got something to do with the sound library used, and not DROD (or the sound files).

Edit: The problem vanishes after a simple reboot, so it may be unrelated.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 12:49 AM]

04-30-2005 at 12:47 AM
silver
huh. still broken on new install (following your advice, I installed a second version on same machine)

I'm now guessing that it's neither the game, nor the data, but, in fact, that the game is exercising some sound channel/method that none of the other games I tried were using, and that that channel/method is now hated by either my card or my speakers.

04-30-2005 at 12:50 AM
silver
icon Re: export/reimport question (+1)  
must've been my card. new one fixed the problem (I had one in a box from christmas I still hadn't installed. bad me.)

04-30-2005 at 03:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : export/reimport question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com