Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High score statistics (...would be cool)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged
icon High score statistics (+3)  
It's definitely not high priority right now, but it would be cool to be able to look at some high score statistics. Like, the average move count per room in a hold, or the longest demos uploaded (in the top 8) (although I think I already know the longest one :)), or the average move count of all rooms in all holds, or something like that. At least the average move count per room in a hold would be cool, because that probably shows (in a way) what kind of puzzles the hold consists of.

Just a thought...

04-29-2005 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: High score statistics (0)  
Yeah, I like these ideas. Another similar stat I was hoping to provide was a minimum move count to complete all rooms in a level or hold. Not that it would be one continuous run-through, but it would still be interesting.

04-29-2005 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Just wanted to note that I might choose the median rather than the mean for an idea of how difficult a room is. The mean is too easy to skew with outliers. (There are more than likely even better measures to use - I am no statistition - but the median is a nice simple measure.)

04-30-2005 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Well... Actually, since for the bigger, more popular holds, the scores will likely have a bi-modal, if not a tri-modal distribution (one peak at the bottom, another peak higher up where most new players will score, and in some rooms there might be alternate solutions), the median will be totally useless. The exact value of the mean will be sort of meaningless too but it will at least give you a ballpark.

The best thing to do would be to calculate the mean, exclude any outliers more than 2 or 3 standard deviations away, and recalculate the mean.

04-30-2005 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High score statistics (...would be cool)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com