Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Trouble With The Hints Board
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bucklingbranch
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Trouble With The Hints Board (0)  
I bought JTRH as soon as it came out and played it pretty much non-stop until I got stuck on Level 5, at which point I started playing some other holds. I just came back to JTRH and solved the problem I was having in Level 5 and am now on Level 6 :thumbsup
My problem is that when I go to the hints board, it doesnt recognise that I have advanced from my problem room, and wont show me the rooms I have completed on Level 6.
I am connected to the internet, and I do have the box checked in the settings. I have closed the game and drod.net and started both up again and still nothing.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?
Thanks

04-22-2005 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 864
icon Re: Trouble With The Hints Board (+2)  
You closed down and restarted drod.net? No wonder I was having problems.

But seriously, the standard stuff to check: (do we have an FAQ for this problem yet?)

On the title screen, there should be a little icon with an antenna, usually with a green checkmark or red X on top. If you see a red X or neither, double check the CaravelNet name and key. Requesting a new key often helps in that situation. If you see the green checkmark, it might help to check the 'submit scores' and/or push 'Upload my scores'. But I don't exactly know the relation between submitting scores and reporting visited rooms. Also, sometimes somebody like Schik will peer into the other side of CaravelNet itself looking for information to narrow down the problem and post something more helpful.

04-23-2005 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Trouble With The Hints Board (+1)  
bucklingbranch,

Your key was last used a little over 4 days ago. I'd guess that your key got corrupted somehow, and a "Request New Key" from the Settings screen or from your profile (along with entering that new key in the Settings screen) will fix your problem. If not, let me know.

04-23-2005 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bucklingbranch
Thanks so much, Schep. I did have the red sign in the top right corner....i requested a new key and its now green. Now I'm off to see if I can view lvl 6 :D
04-23-2005 at 12:23 AM
bucklingbranch
icon Re: Trouble With The Hints Board (0)  
Well I guess I still have a problem....I do have the green icon top right, but I can still only view JTRH up to level 5 where I got stuck.
Can anyone help please?
04-23-2005 at 12:27 AM
Schik
DROD sends your progress when leaving the game screen, so be sure to start up DROD and continue your game, then just exit back out to the menu.

04-23-2005 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Or you can just click "Submit My Scores" on the Settings screen to make sure they are all updated.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-23-2005 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bucklingbranch
I did close out of the game after I entered the new key in the settings screen, and also exited drod.net. When I went back into this website I still couldn't view level 6.
04-23-2005 at 12:32 AM
Schik
bucklingbranch wrote:
I did close out of the game after I entered the new key in the settings screen, and also exited drod.net. When I went back into this website I still couldn't view level 6.
After entering the new key, did you go to "Continue Playing Game"? If not, just do that, or as Onei suggested, use the "Submit My Scores" feature, which will also upload all of your high scores, but take a lot longer.

04-23-2005 at 12:34 AM
bucklingbranch
icon Re: Trouble With The Hints Board (+2)  
Thanks everyone for all your help. I unchecked then checked the 2 buttons to connect the game to the internet and submit scores....and that did the trick....I can now view level 6 :D
04-23-2005 at 12:35 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Oneiromancer wrote:
Or you can just click "Submit My Scores" on the Settings screen to make sure they are all updated.
Neil, this option is used mainly to upload demos to the high score list and might take a long time. If a player just wants to update how far they have played in the game, they just need to play a room and then exit the game, and it will upload the set of all explored and conquered rooms in this current game to CaravelNet.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-23-2005 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You're right, Mike, and thanks for pointing that out...but as I mentioned in the other thread, if his progress isn't updated then it's likely his scores aren't updated either, so he'll probably want to do this. In any case, when you release the next patch it should be a much faster process so it won't be as much of a problem. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-23-2005 at 06:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Trouble With The Hints Board
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com