Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH Level 12 1S 1W (Help!)
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
tiberiusdw
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon JtRH Level 12 1S 1W (+1)  
Hi,

If anyone out there can give a hint for this board, please do. It's driving me crazy! The tar mother in the northwest corner SEEMS to grow too quickly to kill. I'm pretty sure I have to kill it before moving south to the eyeballs and southern tar mother.

:bangin

Thanks,
tiberiusdw

[Edited by tiberiusdw at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 02:38 AM]

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 09:06 PM: Fixed room]
04-20-2005 at 02:34 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: JtRH Level 12 1S 1W (+2)  
Click here to view the secret text

++Adam H. Peterson
04-20-2005 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: JtRH Level 12 1S 1W (0)  
Hey, tiberius...with my special moderator powers I know that you have CaravelNet activated, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to select the correct room from the maps when you make a post in the Hints and Solutions forum. It's there for a reason, please use it! :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2005 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tiberiusdw
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hey, tiberius...with my special moderator powers I know that you have CaravelNet activated, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to select the correct room from the maps when you make a post in the Hints and Solutions forum. It's there for a reason, please use it! :)

Game on,

Actually, funny you say that, Oneiromancer, because I tried doing that and couldn't get it to work. When I choose "Journey to Rooted Hold" from the "Hold" drop-down menu, it just stays with whatever hold was there before. I tried it several times with DROD on and off, and the same thing happened. Any advice?

Thanks,
tiberiusdw
04-20-2005 at 01:08 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Have you uploaded your scores? Go to the settings screen and click the 'Upload my scores' (or something like that, I don't have JtRH in front of me right now) button under the CaravelNet boxes (and naturally, you need a working CaravelNet key). If you have a permanent internet connection, you should also select the similarly named option in the lower right corner of the screen. That way your scores will be uploaded while you play.

04-20-2005 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Pretty much what Stefan said. When you ordered JtRH you got an e-mail with information on how to activate your account, which as I said I can see that you did...however, if you don't have your scores uploaded then this forum doesn't know how far you've gotten in the game and since it only lets you see rooms you've explored or conquered, not uploading your scores causes certain limitations on the forum.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2005 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tiberiusdw
Oneiromancer wrote:
Pretty much what Stefan said. When you ordered JtRH you got an e-mail with information on how to activate your account, which as I said I can see that you did...however, if you don't have your scores uploaded then this forum doesn't know how far you've gotten in the game and since it only lets you see rooms you've explored or conquered, not uploading your scores causes certain limitations on the forum.

Game on,

Yup! It works now! Many thanks for your patience!
(Still can't figure out the :evilmad: board yet--but that's what fun's all about, right?

tiberiusdw
04-20-2005 at 06:33 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: JtRH Level 12 1S 1W (+1)  
Glad you got it to work!

As for the room you're still having trouble on, to repeat what Adam said slightly more succinctly...

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 06:39 PM]

04-20-2005 at 06:38 PM
tiberiusdw
Oneiromancer wrote:
Glad you got it to work!

As for the room you're still having trouble on, to repeat what Adam said slightly more succinctly...

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 06:39 PM]

Yup. Got it with a little more work. Now I just have to finish the final room!

Thanks again. I'm really enjoying DROD!

tiberiusdw
04-20-2005 at 07:54 PM
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Here's a tip for those who get stuck on the second part.

04-23-2005 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kyudos
Rank Points: 12
I can kill both tar mothers, leaving no tar babies at the top, but I'm left with two tar babies at the bottom right and a tar plug I can't get past. What am I missing?

[Edit]-- Nevermind, as sson as I posted here I figured out how to do it!

[Last edited by Kyudos at 06-17-2005 08:14 PM]
06-17-2005 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chopper
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
I'm still having probs in this one. Not sure how to kill both mothers before the bottom right patch grows enough to block my way. Tried doing the top left then the other mother, as well as the reverse order and still that patch ends up defeating me.
08-15-2005 at 06:53 PM
Oneiromancer
If you read the very last thing the post above yours says (in the secret tags) you will see what you need to do to avoid having the bottom right patch of tar grow.

Game on,

08-15-2005 at 07:15 PM
Chopper
Before I even reach a mother, it has already grown and then continues growing regardless of which mother I kill to a point where passage is gone.
08-15-2005 at 09:34 PM
Oneiromancer
Bwah? Did you even follow my suggestion and read that other hint? I guess I'll repeat it for you:

Game on,

08-15-2005 at 09:43 PM
Gummyvenus
Hi all, wonder if I can ask for a little pointer as well?

I know what needs to be done here, but for the life of me I can't get this level completed! I get up to the top in enough time to draw the attention of the eye that blocks the tar, but then I either get sandwiched between the 2 rows of eyes or I manage to dispatch them all & then can't get over to the Tar mother before it spawns again.

Any suggestions? Ta!
08-15-2005 at 10:13 PM
Oneiromancer
You're on the right track, but the initial sword orientation will make things easier.

Game on,

08-15-2005 at 10:47 PM
Chopper
OK, gurus. I did it all leaving only a blob top left, and the orig 2x2 bottom right. But if I leave the room and return, it appears as if it was never done. Am I missing something again???

PS: The room I return to also appears to be undone, yet I completed it to get to where I was. Beyond that is the entrance, and it too needs to be done again to raise the black barrier.
08-16-2005 at 01:34 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
It depends on what you mean by 'appears as if its never been done'. If you mean all the monsters have returned, then thats very weird, and you must have just missed some on the way out.
If you mean that all the tar has returned, that is correct. Tar will always return to how it started (except no tar mothers, if you completed the room), and so you will need to drop black doors again, if necessary. You don't need to clear all the tar to complete a room.
Usually the architect makes sure you don't have to complete a puzzle twice - in the 1S case, theres the left passage. (Though in the entrance, you will need to spend 5 or so moves dropping the black door).
08-16-2005 at 01:51 AM
Oneiromancer
If you kill all the tar babies and then create some more before you leave the room, it will not count as conquered. So you need to make sure that the room is green on the bottom left minimap before you leave for it to count as conquered.

Also, there are several timers in this room...you need to make sure that no tar babies are created in the upper left corner of the room even after you clear that mother out.

Game on,

08-16-2005 at 02:22 AM
Gummyvenus
Thanks for your help - finally nailed it! :D
08-17-2005 at 12:39 PM
wiseoldman
Rank Points: 50
Well I have read all the posts here but I can't get the top left eye to block the way of expanding tar and defeat the other eyes in the room at the same time. I have 7 moves left before the next spanning and it takes 5 moves to reach the top. And even if I reach the top there is no way (that I can see) to defeat the eyes or reach the trapdoor.

So ... what's the trick? Guess I am too old to be playing this tough game :weep But, hey, it does keep one active :lol
03-26-2006 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
You need to time it so the eye is at 1 when the mother spawns.
I entered the top area with my sword west and didn't worry about the eyes to the east.

03-26-2006 at 05:25 PM
wiseoldman
I am sorry but my membership has run out so I can't see your graphic (I believe that is the problem. Can you explain the position relative to the red X. And how can you move to accomplish this and still not get killed by the eye that is at the lower right? Specifically, at what time on the clock should I be at the arrows and which arrow and which way should the sword be pointed? I have trid getting the sword point west but then the east eyes are within two squares and I get killed by them before I can either turn around of dive into the encloser through the trap door.
03-27-2006 at 01:22 AM
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
In the picture stigant posted, the (1) is the topmost space directly north of the red door. You want to get to the arrows as soon as you can. This should be just as fast as you would be able to get to them had the room already been cleared. Sword to the west the way stigant said might work, but I did this room with my sword to the north-west and killed one of the two eyes on the way up. The other I left sleeping.

03-27-2006 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
What red door? You mean the trap door where I am getting killed in this graphic? I have drawn my route and the one clock tick I waited at the left most arrow to get the timing correct for the top most west eye to block the growing tar.

No matter how I go up to the top row I can't make it there to draw this eye over 1 square and still get down to the trap door. Neighter can I get there and still not get killed by the eyes.

If I kill the east eyes first I don't have time to reach the top row to draw the top west eye out one square, i.e. I don't have time to turn my sword to kill the east eye and still make it to the top. What the heck is the trick here? I have been beating my head against this room for several days now and still can not figure it out. I know it must be simple but I just can't get the sword and B in the right position at the right time. If you don't get to the top row the tar grows so you can't get into the mother. Seems impossible but yet it is possible. What is the route?
03-27-2006 at 12:24 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
The "red door" is the one right next to the top tar mother.

03-27-2006 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Really? I felt like west was the best way to go. You kill all the eyes from the west along the top as you move towards the mother. Then you scrape the eyes coming in from the east on the wall as you dive into the safety of the tar.

03-27-2006 at 02:11 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Oh cool, you can do that too. :) When I tried it west, I ended up having to swing the sword south and use 1 and 9 to backswipe a bunch of eyes.
03-27-2006 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wiseoldman
stigant wrote:
Really? I felt like west was the best way to go. You kill all the eyes from the west along the top as you move towards the mother. Then you scrape the eyes coming in from the east on the wall as you dive into the safety of the tar.

Ok, the sword is point west (it is NW when on the left arrow at move 23 in my attempt) and you kill all the west eyes as you move toward the mother. But, the east eyes are 2 sqares behind you so you don't have enough time to turn around and kill them. And what do you mean by "... scrape the eyes coming in from the east on the wall (what wall?) as you dive into the safety of the tar."?

on my graphic the sword is pointing NW. So when do I move it east or southeast? It takes 3 moves for east and 4 for southeast. I just don't see how it is possible to not get killed. If it takes a demo to see how to do it I will gladly pay the $12 to join Carvelnet again so I can see the Demo.

:fun

This is one frustrating room and I really appreciate all you nice people trying to help and old man through it.
03-27-2006 at 04:42 PM
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH Level 12 1S 1W (Help!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com