Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores page
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon Re: Highscores page (0)  
That number won't be too informative, as sadly there are still many holds with the last stair bug around.

05-05-2005 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Highscores page (+1)  
Yes, but thosee will go away. And the vast majority are completable (look at Stefan's list, or mine)

05-05-2005 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
icon high scores that aren't (0)  
I think the intent was that puzzle-less rooms were not supposed to register high scores. There are a lot of entrance rooms on the high scores page with 8 high scores of 2, in which the players apparently just re-exited the rooms via the stairway. It isn't possible to have a 1-move victory demo to remove the rooms from high score evaluation, but these high scores certainly aren't in the spirit which was intended. Maybe a "non-high-score" room flag in the editor would be a good idea as a work-around. Or a "no buttons, no monsters, no trapdoors (did I forget something)" == no puzzle evaluation?

-leroy

06-02-2005 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: high scores that aren't (0)  
leroy00 wrote:
Or a "no buttons, no monsters, no trapdoors (did I forget something)" == no puzzle evaluation?

That would be nice but I think bombs should be included.
06-02-2005 at 04:45 PM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
icon Re: high scores that aren't (0)  
leroy00 wrote:
Maybe a "non-high-score" room flag in the editor would be a good idea as a work-around. Or a "no buttons, no monsters, no trapdoors (did I forget something)" == no puzzle evaluation?

How many rooms exist that have puzzles, no monsters, and no trivial demos? I would expect that these are extremely rare. For these rooms, the editor needs a mechanism to specify what "victory" means. (As far as I can think of, the goal of these would either be to enter from one of a given set of positions (& orientations) and leave from one of another given set, or to read some scroll.) Otherwise, there is no point in keeping track of the high scores to begin with.
06-02-2005 at 07:10 PM
Speicus
Rank Points: 40
Something's wonky with my high scores. It keeps saying I've explored holds I haven't yet (The Domain of the Grinfidel, Pelcho's Puzzles, Krishh's Castle). I'm not sure, but I also think it may be erasing scores for rooms in holds I have explored.

The positive side effect of this is that I'm playing more holds, because I think, "Oh, that hold sounds interesting!" and end up playing it after all.

Isaac
06-04-2005 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Speicus wrote:
Something's wonky with my high scores. It keeps saying I've explored holds I haven't yet (The Domain of the Grinfidel, Pelcho's Puzzles, Krishh's Castle). I'm not sure, but I also think it may be erasing scores for rooms in holds I have explored.
There's something very interesting going on here.... I'm not 100% sure exactly what has happened, but I'm looking into it. I understand why it's saying you've explored things you haven't, but I don't see any reason it would erase scores you've previously recorded.

06-05-2005 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Speicus
Rank Points: 40
Schik wrote:
I understand why it's saying you've explored things you haven't, but I don't see any reason it would erase scores you've previously recorded.

Well, it might not be erasing my scores, I might just be paranoid.

Isaac
06-05-2005 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores page
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No