Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores page
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged

File: Record.JPG (27.1 KB)
Downloaded 98 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Highscores page (0)  
Moments like this feel so great ;)
04-19-2005 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Highscores page (+1)  
Simplicity seems to be missing from the high scores database (something's not right).

04-19-2005 at 08:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
You can't browse the list of players if it isn't sorted by score. Well, you can, but it will always revert to sort the list by score. For example, you have to go through the entire list sorted by score if you want to find a player whose name begin with a 'T' (not very fun to do). Also, sorting the list always take you back to the first page (might be intentional).

04-19-2005 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Stefan wrote:
You can't browse the list of players if it isn't sorted by score.
Fixed.

04-19-2005 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Stefan wrote:
Simplicity seems to be missing from the high scores database (something's not right).
Fixed. It was another entrance room offset problem. :(

04-19-2005 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Schik wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Fixed. It was another entrance room offset problem. :(
Just wondering, erm, how come there are 2 Explorers and 3 Conqueror for this hold? :D

04-19-2005 at 09:28 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Tim wrote:
Just wondering, erm, how come there are 2 Explorers and 3 Conqueror for this hold? :D
On that note, (very strangely)...

Click here to view the secret text

Why is this?

04-19-2005 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Highscores page (+2)  
Click here to view the secret text

04-19-2005 at 11:16 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Actually scratch all that I've said about the highscores before, after trying it, I realize it's fun. I feel like a barbarian horde which lays siege to countless holds, trying to carve its name in blood in the book of History. Ahh, the multitude of opportunities - should we go for the little, unpopular holds that offer a chance of quickly putting my name on the top, risking later conquest by others? Surely it will raise my score to the heavens. Or should we try to go for the well-fortified rooms attempted by hundreds of people already and try to beat that best score? Oh, the sweet taste of victory when I complete in 154765432 moves what the current winner completed in 154765433! That's the usual tradeoff between quality and quantity... it's a shame that every room has a potential "best demo" which will eventually be reached. But taking it a bit deeper, there are gonna be more rooms that can ever be conquered by a single person, so I guess it's all right.

And about that stuff of people copying the tech... well, the winner doesn't care unless you actually do it better, in which case I guess you deserve the 1st place anyway, for spotting a new opportunity.

04-20-2005 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Highscores page (+5)  
City of Queens is missing from the list. Another entrance room offset problem?

04-22-2005 at 08:03 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
On the player's page, I expect the "number of high scores" column to be telling me something like "number of rooms in which I'm ranked in the top 8", but it clearly is reporting something else:

JtRH:
score: 30
number of high scores: 328 / 333

if it were "top 8s" one would expect a minimum score of 328 :)

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-22-2005 at 02:16 PM]

04-22-2005 at 02:15 PM
Schik
silver wrote:
On the player's page, I expect the "number of high scores" column to be telling me something like "number of rooms in which I'm ranked in the top 8", but it clearly is reporting something else:
Yeah, I mentioned that in the first post. It's on the to-do list.

04-22-2005 at 02:41 PM
Maurog
Cool! Your personal score now shows in flaming red. It's way better this way, my thanks to the guy who added this.

04-22-2005 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Stefan wrote:
City of Queens is missing from the list. Another entrance room offset problem?
Yes... *sigh*. Fixed. I really need to write something to check them all for me, this is getting crazy.

04-22-2005 at 03:58 PM
silver
but soon you'll be done with all the legacy holds and just have to convince Rimer to make it so the JtRH editor doesn't allow overlapping stairs and other such inanities (if it isn't already so fixed) and, poof. done forever :)

until the next thing.

04-22-2005 at 04:45 PM
Stefan
This is not caused by the overlapping stairs bug or anything like that. The room entrances are just not set to the right room in the database on the server - there's nothing wrong with the holds (if I've understood this 'bug' correctly).

04-23-2005 at 01:18 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Yeah, right. Why do I have this strange feeling that there's some conspiracies going on here against someone's holds...

:D

[Call me strange, but why do I sense a pattern in here?]

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:04-23-2005 at 02:12 AM]

04-23-2005 at 01:56 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Phil's Dungeon: Second Level has also wrong room coordinates.

(1S1W should be 1S etc.)
04-23-2005 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Highscores page (+5)  
The cause of this seems to be something other than I originally thought (Edit: actually this list is not complete, there was something wrong with my code, so it really does seem to be caused by what I thought it was), but here's a list of levels with non-standard entrance room coordinates (nothing wrong with the holds, but it still seems that these are not treated right by CaravelNet, although I haven't checked everyone of these):

A Quiet Place: Limbo
Bavato's Dungeon: Level 11 (The Fissure)
Bavato's Dungeon: The Bypass Tunnel
Bavato's Dungeon: Level 13 (The Stronghold)
Caverns of Animus: The Forgotten Gateway
Charlotte's Hold: Level 1: Uptown
Charlotte's Hold: Level 2: Midtown
Claythro Tower: Fifth Story
Claythro Tower: The Escape!
GoblinTest: GoblinTest
I Ching Contest Entries: I-Ching? Ka-Ching! (Clayton)
I Ching Contest Entries: I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus)
King Reubus' Palace: The Cellar - Level 1
Meckmecks World: The big City
Mark's Penultimate Dungeon: 3: Quarters
Mark's Penultimate Dungeon: 6: Exterior
Mark's Penultimate Dungeon: 9: Grand Finale
Phil's Dungeon: Second Level
Phil's Dungeon: Ninth Level
Smith Basement: Storm Shelter
Squeenton Swicks: Tiny Nub
The Palace of Puzzles: Ground Floor

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:04-23-2005 at 01:09 PM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:04-23-2005 at 06:52 PM]

04-23-2005 at 01:08 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Squeenton Swicks shows the first room created as the entrance, rather than the room north of that which is what I changed the entrance to before releasing it. Seems this problem occurs when the level entrance is changed. It's actually a problem in the drod.net database, not with CaravelNet, because demos in Tiny Nub still line up with the correct rooms.

04-23-2005 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Hey, what do you think about adding a link to a player's highscores into his profile? And maybe even putting one of them little bottom-post icons linking to highscores and other CaravelNet info.

04-23-2005 at 08:31 PM
Schik
Stefan wrote:
but here's a list of levels with non-standard entrance room coordinates
Again, thanks a ton, Stefan. I've corrected the offsets in my database, but that means that now high scores are associated with the wrong rooms. I will work on fixing that as soon as possible.

04-23-2005 at 08:52 PM
Schik
Schik wrote:
but that means that now high scores are associated with the wrong rooms. I will work on fixing that as soon as possible.
Well.... I hate to say this, but it turned out that I had to go ahead and delete the high scores for the affected rooms. Since all of the offsets *should* be right now, hopefully I won't have to ever do anything like that again. It ended up affecting a relatively small number of rooms thankfully.

Please let me know if you see any high scores that don't look like they match the room they're supposedly for.

04-23-2005 at 09:48 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Could the "No holds explored yet" message be changed to "No unconquered holds explored yet"? When I'm looking at three finished holds and seeing a message that I haven't explored any, it looks kind of awkward.

04-26-2005 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
I've noticed 'Fools Errand' does not list the name of the level, so it's not possible to look at the individual room scores for this hold. Also, The Tomb of Nomb has seperate highscores for 'The Tomb' level and the alternate version with commentary, but again does not show both level names individually, when looking at the highscores. (it might make sense, if it's not too much of a special case, to combine the two sets of highscores together for this hold, since the demos will be identical)

Can I ask how are new demos for rooms in old versions of holds that are updated currently/going to be handled?
04-27-2005 at 08:19 PM
Schik
StuartK wrote:
I've noticed 'Fools Errand' does not list the name of the level, so it's not possible to look at the individual room scores for this hold. Also, The Tomb of Nomb has seperate highscores for 'The Tomb' level and the alternate version with commentary, but again does not show both level names individually, when looking at the highscores.
Those two cases are because the Architects marked those levels as hidden. Long story short, I can add something that will allow you to see stats for hidden levels and rooms if you've visited them. I'll put it on my to-do list.
(it might make sense, if it's not too much of a special case, to combine the two sets of highscores together for this hold, since the demos will be identical)
That does make sense.... ummm... I probably won't do this though.
Can I ask how are new demos for rooms in old versions of holds that are updated currently/going to be handled?
It's still somewhat up in the air. I'm planning on writing some code that will go through all the highscores and verify the demos, removing any bogus ones. That should solve most of the problems caused by updating an uploaded hold.

04-27-2005 at 08:42 PM
silver
hold page, the conquerers column should be followed by the "masters" column (only a couple holds have use of that now, but...)

04-30-2005 at 05:09 AM
Maurog
Yay! Thanks for that highscores link, Schik!

04-30-2005 at 11:30 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
It might perhaps be nice to have a date for the last highscore uploaded for a hold (or level?) by an individual, to give an idea of when they last visited.
05-04-2005 at 10:30 PM
silver
silver wrote:
hold page, the conquerers column should be followed by the "masters" column (only a couple holds have use of that now, but...)

in addition to that suggestion for the holds page, I have a suggestion for "players" page: a "number of holds conquered" column :)

05-04-2005 at 11:36 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores page
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com