Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH L7 1S 1W
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Ghost
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon JtRH L7 1S 1W (0)  
Can someone help with this room
I can't get the roach to stay out od the trap floor things

[Edited by Ghost at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 10:25 PM]

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 09:08 PM: Fixed room]
04-12-2005 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: JtRH L7 1S 1W (0)  
Just keep in mind that
Click here to view the secret text

04-12-2005 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
What's with the room image? I see a room from KDD level 1.
04-12-2005 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
To those who can change this sort of thing: The title of this thread links to the wrong room image.

Can you be more specific at all? But in general:

[Edited by schep at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 10:39 PM: NB: my second hint set essentially restates Maurog's hints; timing.]
04-12-2005 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
The room image thing is because most likely Ghost isn't hooked up to CaravelNet, and so he isn't allowed to view any JtRH rooms he hasn't explored yet. Hopefully this just means that he just hasn't done so yet, and not that he has a pirated copy of the game, but we'll see. He probably just picked a random room from KDD level 1 because it was easily available, and then changed the room title when he got to the actual reply screen. This was never a problem before when all rooms were visible...now that we have this "spoiler protection," those who don't use CaravelNet (and it could be a perfectly valid reason) won't be able to ask for help as effectively.

I imagine a solution might be to make it so that if you change the title of the room from what is filled in for you, then the image stops being associated with that title. It would also be nice if there were an easy way for us mods to re-associate posts with the specific rooms, but right now Schik has to go into the actual database to fix them, which is not the best use of his time.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-12-2005 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ghost
I'm sorry about the picture... I don't know how to connect to carevelnet(sp)
I still don't get how to pass the room.
04-13-2005 at 12:39 AM
Oneiromancer
Ghost wrote:
I'm sorry about the picture... I don't know how to connect to carevelnet(sp)

Go to the Settings screen. Enter your forum Username and password, and then click Request Key. It should be e-mailed to the e-mail address you specified on this forum. When you get the e-mail (usually very quickly) you copy and paste the key into the Settings screen and click Okay.

I still don't get how to pass the room.

First of all, you need to plan your movements carefully. If you pick up an invisibility potion when you are invisible, it will make you visible again. After that, the most important things are:

and

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-13-2005 at 12:47 AM
Ghost
thanx i'll go connect to caravel now
But my problem is the queen in the center goes up the trap door path and i can't force it back down

Can someone pla provide a demo or tell me were i can find one
04-13-2005 at 01:02 AM
Oneiromancer
This would be a lot easier to explain if we could show you the images...when you connect to CaravelNet post an image with the exact queen you're having problems with. I don't think we're at the stage where we absolutely have to post a demo, but if someone else wants to that's fine with me.

Game on,

04-13-2005 at 01:11 AM
Ghost

File: JtRH Seventh Level 1S1W.demo (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 205 times.
License: Other
here is a demo of where i get stuck

I know i messed up with the timing at the end and a roach spaned at the south west corner but that's not the peoint.
Tha last roach i killed is the problem... I can't stop it from going into the trap doors.
04-13-2005 at 01:32 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: JtRH L7 1S 1W (+1)  
Ah, I see. Watching your demo, there is one move where you get too close to the roach queen because you're killing another, and she moves up into the trapdoor area. Easy solution: don't kill that roach queen that made you move too close until you're on the way down. Then when you move into the far top part, that queen that messed you up before will run down to the bottom right and out of danger's way.

Game on,

04-13-2005 at 01:55 AM
Ghost
Thanx i figured it out
04-13-2005 at 05:11 AM
Chopper
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: JtRH L7 1S 1W (-1)  
I can't stop the queen bottom left from spawning and I'm always stuck then. Tricks or secrets?
06-17-2005 at 12:22 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Which part exactly are you stuck at? If you have read the above hints and are stuck at one particular part of the room, say which..

(The first above being:
)
06-17-2005 at 12:26 AM
Chopper
Rank Points: 16
Tried again (after posting) and I got it. THANX!!!
06-17-2005 at 12:31 AM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
AAAHHHH!!!! Please post a demo! I am ultra stuck and have dissected everything you said. Please... :~(

05-23-2007 at 02:11 AM
corgi_T
Rank Points: 24

File: JtRH Seventh Level 1S1W Victory.demo (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 243 times.
License: Public Domain
Yes, this is an infuriating room! I hope this demo helps you.
05-23-2007 at 03:36 AM
Mlizziec
Rank Points: 15
I've sat here for so long I am frozen solid :~( Over and over I've listened to what the citizen has to say and although I get to the end of all the traps the green doors don't drop and even if they did I can't see how I could finish the room. What am I doing wrong? :no It seems as though the SW should be prevented from spawning in the beginning - but how??? :? Please send a de-thawing machine. Thanks for being there!
07-10-2008 at 04:52 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: JtRH L7 1S 1W (+2)  
Corgi_T's post just above yours has a demo attached, which should solve your problem. Watch as much as you need... :)

Here's how to view the demo.
1. Click on the blue file link just under Corgi_T's avatar, and save that file to your computer.
2. Open DROD and go to the room you're having trouble with.
3. Press F6.
4. Choose Import, and browse to the file you just downloaded.
5. Choose Watch.
07-10-2008 at 05:10 AM
darkcloud45
Hey. I was just wondering if this room can be completed by going through the arrow first?

I've tried it many times and I have come very, very close but still am unable to finish it.

Any ideas? Thanks.
05-06-2010 at 09:46 PM
PMIT
Rank Points: 159
Which part of the room is giving you trouble? The overall strategy is similar to the other method, but you need to be slightly more careful with the timing.

Some things to consider:

I know you said you were having trouble with the end, but I've found that oftentimes mistaken assumptions at the start of DROD rooms can throw everything off. If you give more specific problems, I (or somebody else) will be able to help you a lot more. Good luck!

05-07-2010 at 01:07 AM
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 116
I have officially no clue what the challenge wants from me.

I see the scroll (don't take a potion until you cross the force arrow) but that seems inaccurate; the NPC will react to me in disapproval if I do that. I can get as far as the rightmost chamber being cleared before I hit a snag. Turn my sword? Lose. Take a potion? Lose. Move? Lose. Do nothing? Lose. It's wildly inconsistent is what I have to do.

Does the NPC even dictate the challenge? I can't tell; he seems to be reacting the same no matter what I do, even if I don't take a potion until I cross the one force arrow.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-06-2016 at 09:41 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
This is indeed a case where I added the challenge simply by inserting the "Challenge completed" command to an existing script.

There are two things going on. One is that the NPC will say "I like a delver who likes a challenge" if you fulfil his condition (step on the arrow before taking a potion), and will say "Ha! I knew it! You're new to this whole delving thing, aren't you?" if you take a potion first. But also, he will give the same failure line if a roach goes into either of the force arrow traps in the SW corner, making the room impossible to complete. So you have to plan your use of invisibility potions carefully to avoid this happening.

It's unfortunate that he has the same line for two completely different ways you can fail, but we couldn't change this as it wasn't possible to re-record dialogue for the 5.0 update.

12-06-2016 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 116
Ah. Now that the NPC confusion is out of the way, is anybody able to verify how to do this challenge?

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-10-2016 at 01:42 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

[Last edited by Insoluble at 12-10-2016 03:15 PM]
12-10-2016 at 03:13 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592

12-10-2016 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Heh, should have been a challenge for not killing that queen first. :)

12-10-2016 at 07:14 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH L7 1S 1W
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com