Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West (0)  
Well, either I've missed something, or this is one hell of a combat room. I can't move fast enough that Halph can hit all the orbs before the roaches overwhelm me, and I've also tried hitting the bottom right orb with Beethro first - no luck. Hint please?

04-11-2005 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West (0)  
Ignore this post - I misunderstood the help request...

[Edited by krammer at Local Time:04-11-2005 at 07:49 PM]

"Oook!"
04-11-2005 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West (+1)  
In ascending order of spoilerness:

Click here to view the secret text

04-11-2005 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
However, if I hit the bottom-right orb first, I've already got my back to the wall with the roaches one or two squares away by the time I get to the first door - I can't move away from it, and I die within a few moves.

04-11-2005 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
Because I don't have a victory demo for this room (or rather, I do but it just shows me stepping on a fuse), I can't check exactly what I did but

04-11-2005 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I think, and I'm not certain on this, but I did something a little different.

04-11-2005 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West (+2)  
There's an easier way to do it:

04-11-2005 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
At first I misread Stefan's suggest, thinking of a different direction. But when I correctly read his post... it worked like a charm. Thanks!

I tried the
method as well, and managed to get the the doors only to be overwhelmed.

04-27-2005 at 02:16 AM
Wiz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West (+2)  
hmmm it's been hours now ... either way
or
,i end up overwhelmed .i tried a lot of techs to widen the gap between me and them but then again,i'm stuck totally stuck and i hate it ^^this and once north once west will now be my hated rooms 'cause that's almost pointless :( it prevents me from enjoying the rest of the level...think i'm gonna warp if i haven't any idea :~( dungan's dungeon was indeed easier for sure :~( (playing drod since i was 13,now 20... i hate being stucked ^^ )

[Edited by Wiz at Local Time:05-19-2005 at 07:05 PM: (putting in secret)]

never mind,passed it,last hint for desperate people

[Edited by Wiz at Local Time:05-19-2005 at 07:20 PM: (last hint)]
05-19-2005 at 07:01 PM
Django
Rank Points: 27
I seem to be in the same camp as those billions of Droddities who just can't get it together in this particular room. (And the lousy food, off-key campfire songs, and ugly counselors are really making this camp experience a bummer.)

Wiz wrote:
hmmm it's been hours now ... either way
or
,i end up overwhelmed .i tried a lot of techs to widen the gap between me and them but then again,i'm stuck totally stuck and i hate it ^^this and once north once west will now be my hated rooms 'cause that's almost pointless :( it prevents me from enjoying the rest of the level...think i'm gonna warp if i haven't any idea :~( dungan's dungeon was indeed easier for sure :~( (playing drod since i was 13,now 20... i hate being stucked ^^ )
Except for the hatred, threats and creative spelling, that's about where I'm at. And then...

never mind,passed it,last hint for desperate people
Grrr. I often read pleas I can relate to, but too often they're followed by something like, "Ahh, finally got it! In fact, it was a piece of cake!! One of the easiest rooms I've ever played!!! Only a drooling idiot would need more than 5 moves to solve all the puzzles and kill the battalions of Atomic Lice in this childishly simple room!!!!"

Riiiiight. :?

Anyway, I suppose 1N 1W is best solved from the east. No problem. And since beating 1W seems to be a myth (at least, I haven't understood the choreography required), I have nowhere to go except past 2N 2W.

Any MORE hints? Or maybe a demo? :look

05-23-2005 at 05:55 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, the problem is, someone's going to have to make a demo especially for you, because as you may have noticed, you can't beat the room until you come back from the north and light the fuse to set the bombs off. Did you notice that? Are you asking how to survive escaping to the NW, or was what I just said what you needed?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-23-2005 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Django
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well, the problem is, someone's going to have to make a demo especially for you, ...

Oh no no no no, I would never expect someone to do that! Not at all.

... because as you may have noticed, you can't beat the room until you come back from the north and light the fuse to set the bombs off. Did you notice that? ...

Sho nuff did, matey. Only blind in one eye here -- and I haven't heard of any true 3D effects I'd miss, yet. :pirate

... Are you asking how to survive escaping to the NW, or was what I just said what you needed?

Um, that surviving and escaping thing you mentioned. Yeah, that's the ticket! I've tried the obvious stractics & tattegy. Even toyed with both hitting the SE button AND offing some queens in the same run. (No joy there.)

The problem is surviving the western passage. I can usually cut a rug fairly well with the roaches, but I need a bit more elbow room in that passage. Always need to retreat; always get cornered at the first door. Sometimes second. <sigh>

The advice to "get more of a lead on the roaches" sounds great... but restricting the flow just backs them up and eliminates any breaks. Rowing UPstream is just a dream, as they sing. (Argh, too many camp songs.) :w00t

05-23-2005 at 12:23 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Django wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well, the problem is, someone's going to have to make a demo especially for you, ...

Oh no no no no, I would never expect someone to do that! Not at all.
Not a big deal. The fact that demos don't stop when hitting undo made it relatively easy to make. If you (or anyone else) still want the demo, PM me and I'll E-mail it to you.

05-23-2005 at 02:50 PM
Django
KevG wrote:Not a big deal. The fact that demos don't stop when hitting undo made it relatively easy to make. If you (or anyone else) still want the demo, PM me and I'll E-mail it to you.
Thanks mucho, KevG <--nice guy. :yes
However, the best solution, for me, turned out to be...

I've only done it once, but I'd be happy to try to record a demo if anyone really wants it. Just... :whistle

05-23-2005 at 11:58 PM
Mistweave
Rank Points: 23

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 2N2W - Escape.demo (5 KB)
Downloaded 349 times.
License: Other
Ok...time for my $.02. The hints above are sufficient to get through the room, but only if you're efficient with your moves. It also helps if you've learned a few things about brained-roach behavior.

First, a couple of spoilers about how to get started efficiently (on the kill-3-mothers-SW plan):

Now...observations on brained roaches:

Hope this helps some. I have also made a demo of my successful escape from the room using the strategy outlned above - see the attached file if you want the complete spoiler.

[Last edited by Mistweave at 07-19-2005 04:10 AM : Ok..so it's Halph (not Half).]
07-18-2005 at 08:15 PM
Oneiromancer
Mistweave wrote:
For example, consider the following situation, where our hero is confronting two roaches with his back against a wall:
############
#....B.....#
#...R|R....#
#..........#

If the roaches are un-brained, Beethro is dead. He can't swing the sword, because one of the roaches will get him right away. If he steps west, killing one, the other will move diagonally and wind up directly to his east. Beethro can't swing fast enough, and can't retreat, so he's dead again. Same if he steps east - the other roach gets him.

This one isn't quite true. Beethro can step West, killing the first one, then step Southwest, and then back Northeast, which will kill the second one. Yes, it's easier when they're brained, but as long as he has room (as he does in your example) then Beethro can still survive.

Oh, and it's spelled Halph, not Half. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-18-2005 at 08:25 PM
Mistweave
Rank Points: 23
Oneiromancer wrote:
This one isn't quite true. Beethro can step West, killing the first one, then step Southwest, and then back Northeast, which will kill the second one. Yes, it's easier when they're brained, but as long as he has room (as he does in your example) then Beethro can still survive.
Game on,

True. I should have put the rest of the ravening horde of roaches lined up south of the two in the example, in which case it gets a bit stickier to take out the un-brained roaches. :selftwak

07-19-2005 at 04:09 AM
rikyo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
How do I... ahhh... get through a room not unlike this one? O:- I can't see that running away will help, then...

(if this thread is in the wrong place, point me to the right one pleas...)
02-06-2006 at 11:40 AM
Oneiromancer
That would be here.

Game on,

02-06-2006 at 01:44 PM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
There is the optional "Challenge" in this room - which of course is a Steam achievement. It says "Clear the room without hitting the SW orb"... does this imply that the room, in fact, can be beaten the hard way, without passing through, exiting at the NW, getting around to the northern entrance and setting off the bombs?

Or does this "Clear" mean "get out of it alive" in this case, as in "do it by sending Halph to all three orbs instead of racing for the SE orb yourself and getting over from the eastern corridor to the western corridor before the roaches arrive, so Halph only has to hit two orbs and they're close together"? (Because otherwise you have to survive that much longer as Halph runs up and down the eastern corridor to hit the SE orb which opens the middle door.)
12-19-2019 at 07:32 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I'm not sure if this is a translation issue. The scroll in the version I have (not steam) just says "Don't strike the southeast orb." You do not need to clear the room, just "get out alive" using the strategy you outlined in your post.

12-19-2019 at 07:45 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
When Mike incorporated the challenges into the Steam release, he added "...and clear the room" to the wording, since nearly all challenges in the official holds do require clearing the room but don't actually specify it on the scroll, and Mike wanted to make that clear.

This room is one of the exceptions.

12-19-2019 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 2 North, 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com