Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : exit level 8
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
old lady
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon exit level 8 (0)  
have done 18 rooms and read messages re this level but still no 'exit level' coming up.what am I still doing wrong? :huh
04-07-2005 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: exit level 8 (0)  
Erm - is this KDD (the original) or JtRH (which came out this week)? I'm guessing KDD, so:
Click here to view the secret text

"Oook!"
04-07-2005 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
old lady
it took me a week but had found the 2 other rooms (septence level) and they are done as well, are there any more hidden rooms then? thankyou for replying so quick, it is the original game.
04-07-2005 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: exit level 8 (+1)  
My suggestion is to click the newly fixed "Insert DROD Room Image" link on the right side of the Reply screen on this forum, above the Smilies. From there you can select King Dugan's Dungeon, then Eighth Level, and then look at the map and see if there are any rooms you missed.

However, by my count there are indeed exactly 18 rooms on this level. Are none of them red on the restore screen? It seems like you've been running back and forth looking for rooms to complete, so I doubt you missed one...the only real problem room is 2S 3E which you must go to after you complete 3S 3E and once you leave, you can't come back. If you didn't solve that room, you'll have to restore to that point, unfortunately losing your progress in the rest of the level. This will be fixed in the next version of KDD, but not yet...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-07-2005 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
old lady
icon Re: exit level 8 KDD (0)  
thank you for advice. On 'restore' screen all rooms showing done. have redone nearly all of level so many times am thoroughly depressed and frustrated had to go away for a few days to see grandkids and relax!!! I JUST WANT TO EXIT LEVEL and can't see what am doing wrong :weep
04-11-2005 at 09:20 AM
Oneiromancer
I wish I knew what was going on...it seems very odd that you can't exit the level. Can you take a screenshot of your Restore screen and post it for us?

In case you're not sure how to take a screenshot, on most Windows computers you press the Print Screen key (or PrtSc sometimes) on your keyboard, which is usually located in the same row as the F1-F12 keys, to the right. This copies what is on your screen into memory. Then you can open up an image editing program...most versions of Windows come with Microsoft Paint, which can be found by going to the Start Menu, then Programs, then Accessories, then Paint. Within Paint, you can go up to Edit and select Paste to put the screenshot in the program. You can then attempt to crop out just the portion of the image which contains DROD if you don't want us to see the rest of your desktop. ;)

Then go to File and click Save As... to save it as a JPG file somewhere on your computer. Then make a post here, and attach the file using the line directly below the message box on the Reply screen; it will bring up a window that lets you look for your file. (Note that if you preview your post, the attachment will go away.)

Thanks...hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-11-2005 at 05:47 PM
old lady

File: level8.png (313 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
License: Other
hope I've done this correct... here goes. let me know if attachments don't arrive
04-12-2005 at 09:18 PM
Oneiromancer
The attachment worked. Unfortunately, I can't see the upper half of the level on the minimap, so I can't confirm that all the rooms are solved. Can you make another post with the upper half of level 8 showing in the minimap?

Note that someone else had a similar problem: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5290&page=0#54064 . He had completed a room, but created some tar babies on the way out and didn't kill them. If you do this, then it is possible that the room will not count as completed anymore, even if the green door drops. This is definitely something worth checking out. Look closely at the minimap to see if there is any red showing in any of the rooms...and of course tar babies present when the room starts...those would be some clues.

This game has been out so long that I think we would all be really surprised if this is a new bug...in every case I've seen for level 8, people either miss the 3 tar mother room (which you have), miss 2S 3E (which is this room), or think they've solved a room but can't see the red with the purple tar on the map as well (which is hard for us to tell without seeing the other half of your minimap).

If I look really closely it seems like I see some blue above 3S 3E, but you said you've played 18 rooms so I might just be seeing things. If you beat 3S 3E and didn't go North to 2S 3E immediately afterwards, then unfortunately, you have to restore to an earlier room in order to complete it, and then finish the rest of the level. Yes, this is frustrating, so hopefully it didn't happen to you. When a new version of KDD is released this problem will be fixed.

Hope we can figure this out soon!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 09:36 PM]

04-12-2005 at 09:31 PM
old lady

File: level8top.png (343.7 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
am now sending the top part of minimap. Yes .. all the rooms have been completed, time and time again (including the 3 tar mother room for the 3rd time) how could you have said that I hadn't done it!! I have also gone back to earlier rooms and redone all the remaining rooms again,in the order needed. cannot see any tar babies left in rooms either. I apologise for being ratty... but don't tell me to do this level again as thats already happened. :angry
04-14-2005 at 03:10 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Unfortunately, clicking on one of the northern rooms set the restore screen back to a point when most rooms had not been visited yet. So we can see that you have visited each room at some time, but not that you solved them all without restoring backward.

Try this:
1. Restore to the point by the stairs when everything seems to be finished.
2. Walk Beethro back through the level to Twice South (this should be easy).
3. Go through the crumbly walls and remove the first little bit of tar and step on the checkpoint in 2S.
4. Then go to the Restore screen to take a look at the northern rooms.

If the level is complete, every room should be in white. If anything is in red (unconquered) or background-blue-green (not visited), then that room is the problem.

It's really too bad this has been frustrating you for so long. Hope this helps figure out what's going on.
04-14-2005 at 04:17 PM
Oneiromancer
Okay, I understand this is very frustrating, and we don't want to lose you as a player! So please do this: click the Who button on the main DROD menu. Select your name, and click Export. Then find that .player file on your hard drive where you exported it to, and post it here as an attachment. I can then load it up and see if I can figure out what the problem is. I'll get you to the entrance room of level 9 and then export your player file again and give it back to you. Then you can Import it and you should be ready to go!

Game on,

04-14-2005 at 04:43 PM
old lady

File: connie .player (146.2 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
you're a star for helping me out... its taken me nearly a year to get this far in the game so you can imagine my frustration when I couldn't get any further. done what you said if possible let me know what i was doing wrong. many thanks.
04-16-2005 at 11:52 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: connie l9.player (147.3 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
icon Re: exit level 8 (+5)  
Here you go. Your player file starting from level 9. Just import the file attached from the 'Who' screen (you may have to delete your old player before importing).

The problem was that you had restored back to a point where you had NOT completed 2S3E.

04-16-2005 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Stefan wrote:
The problem was that you had restored back to a point where you had NOT completed 2S3E.
I'm sure that wasn't the problem... because I took that player file, restored to the beginning of level 8, and played all the level through. And when I finished the last room (the 3 tar mommies room), the blue door completely failed to open. There also was a significant lack of "Exit Level" message, even though re-checking all the rooms proved that they are indeed complete. So it's deeper than that - the problem was somewhere else. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Good luck with level 9, old lady :)

04-16-2005 at 03:36 PM
Stefan
Hmmm... I'll have to test that.

*Gone Testing*

04-16-2005 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
It worked fine for me. Played it through and the 'Exit Level!' came after completing the 3-mother room. Do you remember in what order you completed the rooms?

04-16-2005 at 04:08 PM
Maurog
If it is of any help, I couldn't read any scrolls either.

The order was:
ENT-1S-1S1E-1E-2S-3S-3S1W-4S-3S1E-3S2E-2S2E-4S2E-3S3E-2S3E-4S3E-6S3E-7S3E
after which, the blue door in 5S3E didn't open

04-16-2005 at 05:13 PM
Stefan
Maurog wrote:
If it is of any help, I couldn't read any scrolls either.
Strange, that didn't happen to me. I was still able to exit the level after playing the rooms in the order you specified. Can you post a demo (1 move is enough) of the room with the stairs when the blue door should have opened?

04-16-2005 at 06:19 PM
Maurog

File: Blue Door still closed.demo (781 bytes)
Downloaded 50 times.
Sure thing, here is the demo. I see a blue door, do you? At this point all rooms are conquered.

[Edited by Maurog at Local Time:04-16-2005 at 08:25 PM: Whoops, this is the right demo now :)]

04-16-2005 at 08:02 PM
schep
Maurog wrote:
I see a blue door, do you?

I do see a blue door. I do not see 6S 3E in white on the map; it looks like it has not been visited.

04-16-2005 at 08:07 PM
Maurog
By the Holy Rat, you are right! It was a wrong demo... the right demo is attached now.

04-16-2005 at 08:26 PM
Oneiromancer
All right! A bunch of extra points to Stefan for taking care of this while I was sleeping. :)

It is indeed very odd that we're seeing these discrepancies...sounds like you guys will get to the bottom of it though!

Game on,

04-16-2005 at 08:40 PM
schep
Yup, I also see a blue door in the second demo. And that's the limit of my demo-analyzing capabilities, so now I wait to discover why Stefan thought this would be helpful.
04-16-2005 at 08:50 PM
Maurog
We can only guess what Stefan does with demos. Maybe he eats one-move demos for breakfast. Seriously though, my guess is Stefan has some evil tools for dissecting demos and checking what variables hold and what flags are on and stuff. So he may find out what is missing for the blue door to open.

04-16-2005 at 09:58 PM
Stefan
According to the demo, you have neither explored nor conquered 1E. Could you backtrack to that room and check it out?

04-16-2005 at 11:33 PM
Maurog
Aargh, 1E was marked as undone and when I completed it, the level ended. I could have sworn I already completed it though. Grumble, grumble, I probably restored into an version without 1E at some point thinking it's a complete one. Just like in old lady's player file... I checked out the restores, it goes something like:

ENT-1S-1S1E-1E-2S-3S1W-(point A)-3S1E-3S3E-2S3E-4S (as seen in 4S)
at which point, it seems to be old lady restored to point A (as seen in 4S3E) and continued:
(Point A)-3S2E-3S3E-4S2E-4S3E and on, to reach the final state without 2S3E

So, uh, I guess there really wasn't any problem... sorry. My mistake :( Don't hit me.

PS: I think all those new features, namely checkpoints and the undo are really spoiling me, and I'm losing my delving skills. My style became careless, and countless times I found myself dying and pressing the undo button (in DROD: AE, so it didn't work). Also, it's a shame how easy the 3 tar mommy room now is because of them checkpoints.

04-17-2005 at 04:55 AM
old lady
icon Re: exit level 8 (+2)  
BIG THANKYOU all round, didn't realise it would spark so much interest! am playing again level 9 and onwards... :D
04-19-2005 at 04:52 PM
old lady
You all helped me out in April when I couldn't exit this level - well am now pleased to let you know that have at last completed the game :D Could not have done it without the Help page. Some of the Hints did not make sense, some told you how to do it, an absolutely brilliant year or so playing this game (the old mans not so sure!!) so what am I going to do now? Which game shall I go on to? Am I at 57 years your oldest lady player? (or the slowest!!) :thumbsup
09-02-2005 at 09:43 PM
Oneiromancer
old lady wrote:
You all helped me out in April when I couldn't exit this level - well am now pleased to let you know that have at last completed the game :D Could not have done it without the Help page. Some of the Hints did not make sense, some told you how to do it, an absolutely brilliant year or so playing this game (the old mans not so sure!!)
Congrats!
so what am I going to do now? Which game shall I go on to?
Well, there are tons of holds on the Holds board (or in the Downloads section on the main drod.net page) which you can import into the game from the "Where" button in the DROD AE title screen, or from the "Change Location" option in the DROD JtRH title screen. Actually, if you don't have JtRH (DROD 2.0) yet, you might want to check out the demo! Check it out here!
Am I at 57 years your oldest lady player? (or the slowest!!) :thumbsup
We had another woman with the name of "yarnexpress" but I'm not sure she ever told us her age...but I know she was a grandmother!

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 09-02-2005 09:52 PM]
09-02-2005 at 09:52 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : exit level 8
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com