Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Drod as Assembly for TI 89/92 or 83/84 (Drod for those TI Calcs)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
IP: Logged
icon Drod as Assembly for TI 89/92 or 83/84 (+1)  
I see lots of complicated assembly games for TI calculators these days, and I think that DROD could be done (after all...the games are usually written in C then compiled). It would be like a drod mini, except for TI and not for Palm.

Good idea? Bad idea? If it expands the drod community, i'm willing to do it...I just got a Ti89 (titanium) and once i learn assembly i'll begin work.

Some of the elements might be real hard, so it'd be best to start with a guy with a sword on a tiled floor with just roaches, and then develop.
03-21-2005 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Drod as Assembly for TI 89/92 or 83/84 (+1)  
Well, I see three sides to this:
1. If you are interested in programming and learning something new, this is as good a project as any.

2. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see this particular application. Tons of kids have those calculators and play video games on them all the time. They're probably more popular in that respect than the original game boys. After all, they have about the same capabilities, and all the games are free.

3. [rant]As a math teacher, however, I'm very against it. I constantly have to take the damn calculators away from kids who are playing super-mario bros instead of listening and participating in my class. Furthermore, I have a class set of the calculators, and invariably, those damn games find their way onto MY calculators. Frankly, those calculators are more trouble than they're worth. We, as a math department, have had serious discussions about getting simple scientific (non-graphing) calculators instead because the graphing ones do too much now. [/rant] Of course, you programming a drod-clone for the calculator isn't going to exassperate my problems.

Edit: rank point #200!

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:03-22-2005 at 01:35 AM]

03-21-2005 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: Drod as Assembly for TI 89/92 or 83/84 (0)  
3. [rant]As a math teacher, however, I'm very against it. I constantly have to take the damn calculators away from kids who are playing super-mario bros instead of listening and participating in my class. Furthermore, I have a class set of the calculators, and invariably, those damn games find their way onto MY calculators. Frankly, those calculators are more trouble than they're worth. We, as a math department, have had serious discussions about getting simple scientific (non-graphing) calculators instead because the graphing ones do too much now. [/rant] Of course, you programming a drod-clone for the calculator isn't going to exassperate my problems.

I think most of those who are so obsessed with drod that they'd put it on a calculator would be good at math; its used in the game alot. You might hate to hear this but there will usually be a handful of students who could pay no attention and get A's... I understand though.

I just thought of something. What if it was programmed to have a special password to play? And that password was posted on here? That way kids who don't attend the forums can't just cluelessly download and play it. Or, it could be compiled to only be played on a specific shell, like DoorsOS

If its a Ti89, just go 2nd -> Mem -> F1, and clear all the ram/rom. :)

Anyways, a few more interested people and i'll start.
03-22-2005 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Drod as Assembly for TI 89/92 or 83/84 (0)  
Again, I want to emphasize that I'm not really upset at this project. It just happens to touch on a nerve. I don't think you doing or not doing this will have any affect whatsoever on me.

I think most of those who are so obsessed with drod that they'd put it on a calculator would be good at math; its used in the game alot. You might hate to hear this but there will usually be a handful of students who could pay no attention and get A's... I understand though.
Actually, I don't hate to hear it. I was one of those students (at least in math and science). I actually like those students best because you can really push them with interesting problems and thoughts.

Unfortunately:
1. Its literally only a handful (out of about 140 or so students). I wish there were more (and I teach at a magnet school, so we start with a relatively good crop).
2. I can't have rules that only apply to people who are getting an A in the class. Besides, usually the ones who are getting A's are not the ones playing the video games. Though there are exceptions...
What if it was programmed to have a special password to play? And that password was posted on here?
There's a saying in security that goes something like "Don't mistake obscurity for security." Which is to say that there's no way that password would remain a "secret" for long.

I appreciate your concern. But as I said before, don't worry about it. And anyway, it won't work.

03-22-2005 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Drod as Assembly for TI 89/92 or 83/84 (Drod for those TI Calcs)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com