Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Escape - good puzzle game
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AtakeeR
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
IP: Logged
icon Escape - good puzzle game (+4)  
For few weeks I'm playing Escape, it's very good game combining elements of Sokoban (many types of pushable blocks, filling holes with blocks) and other rather original ideas. It's turn based, so you don't need reflexes like in Chip's Challenge or Rocks and Diamonds. Of course it has level editor. It has also integrated something like upcoming CaravelNet as you can rate levels, put comments, download new levels, post your creations and update Escape from Escape itself. And it's free! For now there are circa 400 levels but each day brings new. Game is update nearly every week or even often and new elements adds new features to the world of Escape. So I hope you will play this game and contribute some new levels. Escape Homepage
03-21-2005 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Escape - good puzzle game (0)  
:thumbsup
Cool, I played the tutorial and it looks good.

The major problem I have with it is switches that you don't know what they do until you hit them. I dislike the orbs in Drod for the same reason.
03-21-2005 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtakeeR
icon Re: Escape - good puzzle game (+1)  
Yes it's quite annoying but here are few hints about panels (those switches have this name):
- Each panel changes only one tile
- There are also red, blue and green panels which must be pressed by object of corresponding color (either sphere or steel).
- Panels work using quite strange rule - they switch tile on main plane with the same tile in "bizarro world" - an alternate plane, which you can see by pressing Y on keyboard during play.

Few general hints:
- read Readme
- few useful hotkeys which aren't covered by readme:
* U - Undo move - can't undo death
* S - Save Postion (Won't last if you close level)
* R - Restore Saved Postion
* ENTER - Restart level (until you save game you can use also R to restart)

03-21-2005 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Pretty well done sokoban clone :) I like the Oxydish pipe tiles.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:06-04-2005 at 07:44 AM]
03-22-2005 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtakeeR
I wouldn't call that sokoban clone - I refered to Sokoban in first post due to wide variety of pushable blocks, but it's not just expanded Sokoban. Aim of levels is other - you need to escape through exit not push blocks on special places. There are few levels really similar to sokoban but other are rather different. I don't think that every game in which your main action is pushing objects must be called Sokoban clone. Blocks in this game have wide variety of usage - you can fill holes, press panels, block lasers, make wires and other. Robots which are newest addition have gigantic possiblities.

I still don't have any good ideas for levels, but maybe through Easter I'll do some levels. I hope you enjoy playing this game.
03-23-2005 at 12:48 PM
Doom
I dunno... I call all games Sokoban clones if the main idea is to push blocks around. The lasers and other stuff add variety to it but almost every puzzle is based on pushing different kinds of blocks.

But true, I've seen less than 5 pure Sokoban levels so far. That's just the first impression the game gave me.
03-23-2005 at 01:14 PM
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
I've completed now about 50 levels. Some are easy, others are

insanely hard! (Like Knights and rotations...)
04-10-2005 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Thought I'd bump this awesome little game.
larrymurk wrote:
The major problem I have with it is switches that you don't know what they do until you hit them. I dislike the orbs in Drod for the same reason.
After many updates since the last posts in this topic, many things have changed. A few helpful key commands:
'd' - Shows all panel destinations. (Mac version is a little behind and doesn't have this yet)
'y' - Shows everything in the alternate dimension

There are several new objects and well over 1000 levels already. Even though many of them aren't too good, there are some real gems inside. (Ctrl+S sorts by rating, by the way)

[Last edited by Doom at 03-12-2006 06:47 PM]
03-12-2006 at 06:35 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
This is the type of game I like!
03-12-2006 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Like most good games out there, I stopped playing it because it was shareware and the few puzzles I got for free were dead easy.

03-12-2006 at 11:39 PM
Doom
Chaco wrote:
Like most good games out there, I stopped playing it because it was shareware and the few puzzles I got for free were dead easy.
What are you talking about?

Escape isn't shareware. It's totally free.
03-13-2006 at 04:46 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Oops. :-O

I was thinking of this Escape.

03-13-2006 at 08:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Escape - good puzzle game
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com