Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Googlefight!!! (Something fun)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Googlefight!!! (+3)  
Googlefight.com

The idea is that you put two words in and it tells you which one has more hits when passed through the google search engine. This gave me an idea for a new forum game. Here's the rules:

First person posts a fight, in this case Beethro vs Cockroach, and announces the winner.

Second person must find a word starting in the last letter of the losing word (in this case O), which defeats the previous winner. I'll use orb.

Now the next person has to find a word starting in H to defeat orb, and so on. The challenging word must always be placed second in the word order. Ordinarily this wouldn't be much of a game, since all you'd have to do to win is wait for a word ending in T to lose, and post The as your new word, so I'm going to add a twist.

At the beginning of each round, the person posting the first fight chooses a theme for that round. Every word used in the round must have some kind of connection to the theme. If/when a word is posted that reaches 1,000,000,000 or more hits, or if nobody can defeat it in 12 hours, the round is over and the person who posted the winning word gets to pick a new theme and start the next round. Whoever started the round should give a mod point or two to the victor, which will be used to fund the next round, and so on.

In the interest of keeping this a fun game for everybody, the following topics in all their various forms are officially banned from this game: sex, drugs, alcohol, violence (outside the context of a game), bathrooms, and anything else not safe for work (NSFW). If the theme is something that might be open to rule abuse, like using ingredients in a food theme, it is up to the theme's starter to specify anything that will be disallowed from the round.

Here's the first round:

Theme: Things that are green

Grass defeats Leaf

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:03-24-2005 at 04:34 PM]

03-18-2005 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Googlefight!!! (0)  
Field beats Grass

Hope I understood the rules right..
03-18-2005 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
and the new champion is: Spring!

spring vs grass

Edit:
If/when a word is posted that reaches 1,000,000,000 or more hits

I think we should raise this limit... I managed to hit this limit in two more contests from spring vs grass.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 01:56 PM]

03-18-2005 at 01:54 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
stigant wrote:
and the new champion is: Spring!

spring vs grass
You're supposed to beat field now, since it won the last round. Spring does not beat field.

03-18-2005 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
I tried good deal of words, and best ones were like 10% worse. Even "green" itself is less common than field !

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-18-2005 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hmm, how about a green star? Star sure beats field.

03-18-2005 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Googlefight!!! (+2)  
Back in my old days playing D&D, I had a set of dice, which included a 6-side green die that's far greener than any star.

03-18-2005 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Googlefight!!! (+1)  
That's more than a billion hits, so you will have to pick the theme for the next round. I think it's weird that star vs. die and die vs. star gets different results. Also, I assume we cannot repeat used words in other rounds, right?

03-18-2005 at 03:52 PM
eytanz
Hmm.... Indeed, I tried star vs. die which is very different than die vs. star.

I think we need a rule on the word ordering, since it can make a big difference - the challenging word should always come first or second. Since the decision will affect whether I won this round, I'll wait for other people to decide.

03-18-2005 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I think the challenging word should always come second. I'll add it to the opening post of the thread

03-18-2005 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
In that case, the first round isn't over yet.

03-18-2005 at 06:38 PM
DiMono
Well, nobody's come up with something to beat Die in 12 hours, which means the round is over anyway. Eytanz, your turn to start the next round.

03-19-2005 at 03:34 PM
eytanz
Okay, the theme for round 2 is - Food.

And, since I feel like dumplings right now, lets start with the classic match of Eastern Europe vs. Western Europe as we discover that:

Ravioli (easily) beats pirogi

03-19-2005 at 03:55 PM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
"Ice Cream" creams Ravioli by a margin of almost 10:1.

I don't know if we're allowed to use two-word combinations like that. If we aren't, just disregard this.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-19-2005 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
is it bad form to use ice? clearly it will beat ice cream. Whichever way you order the words.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 06:49 PM]

03-19-2005 at 06:47 PM
b0rsuk
I don't know of anyone who eats ice. By chance, are you a walrus ?

Using same logic you could say fridge is food.

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=ice+cream&word2=%22ice+cream%22

I really think you should use "ice cream", because ice+cream will find you things like "cream ice", for instance. It may even find words which are farther away from each other.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 07:06 PM]

03-19-2005 at 07:02 PM
stigant
Um, how about ice water? or ice in a smoothy? Or a snow-cone? Ice is an ingredient in all of these foods. The real question is if ice is too close to ice cream?

03-19-2005 at 07:06 PM
b0rsuk
stigant wrote:
Um, how about ice water? or ice in a smoothy? Or a snow-cone? Ice is an ingredient in all of these foods. The real question is if ice is too close to ice cream?

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=ice&word2=water

Water beats ice by such a large margin that changing order isn't necessary. You can't argue there's no water in ice. Or in cucumber. Or in bread. Or in any food, even.
I think this sucks and rules should be more precise. "No ingredients/spices" would be good start.

03-19-2005 at 07:10 PM
stigant
I can, however, argue that water doesn't start with an 'm'

I think this sucks and rules should be more precise. "No ingredients/spices" would be good start.

then you'll have to win a round and make the rules for the next round.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 07:28 PM]

03-19-2005 at 07:27 PM
DiMono
I can live with people winning a round having the chance to add more concise rules to the game, as long as they're designed to make the game more direct rather than to restrict what we have the option of doing. Saying "no ingredients" is fine.

For the record though, when you're in the hospital for major surgery you live off of ice chips, so ice is actually a food in that sense. I've even eaten it while healthy.

03-20-2005 at 06:14 AM
DiMono
It looks like B0rsuk wins this round. I'm going to edit the rules in the first post to indicate that spices and ingredients that aren't foods you'd eat on their own are not allowed unless the round's theme explicitly includes them.

Edit: Remember though, if you want truly explicit rules for a round, you're the one who has to put them there. I can't go adding new rules to the game every time a round goes somewhere it shouldn't, you have to take responsibility for your own round to a point.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:03-21-2005 at 03:22 PM]

03-21-2005 at 03:19 PM
stigant
Not to be a sour-puss, but Borsuk's entry shouldn't count because water doesn't start with an m. He needs to beat ice with something that starts with an m since ice-cream ends in an m.

I'm going to edit the rules in the first post to indicate that spices and ingredients that aren't foods you'd eat on their own are not allowed unless the round's theme explicitly includes them.

I'd like to voice my opinion that this is a bad idea. The restrictions provided by the architecture of the game (the part about the next word 1. winning a fight against the current champ, and 2. starting with the last letter of the last loser) combined with even a mildly limiting category already provide for a good deal of creative thought. If you explicitly limit the candidate words in this artificial way, you're going to end up stifling that creativity. Part of the fun of games like this is thinking just outside the box (category) enough to win the objective parts (googlefight), but not far enough outside to be considered as not adhearing to the category.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:03-21-2005 at 03:52 PM]

03-21-2005 at 03:50 PM
b0rsuk
03-21-2005 at 07:19 PM
stigant
but it doesn't beat ice.

03-21-2005 at 08:12 PM
DiMono
And this is why you shouldn't post without reading. I meant to say stigant wins with ice because nobody's beaten it in 12 hours.

03-22-2005 at 01:18 AM
stigant
ok, in honor of the next installment coming out this spring, the next category is star wars

Star Destroyer beats Anakin

03-22-2005 at 03:25 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
nass (name of gungan leader) beats star destroyer.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:03-22-2005 at 04:23 AM]

03-22-2005 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Revenge of the Sith beats Nass

03-22-2005 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
star wars beats it by a mile.

03-22-2005 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Does anyone know when googlefight.com went down? I can't get to it now, and I don't know if that's the reason nobody's posted anything in 2 days.

03-24-2005 at 05:30 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Googlefight!!! (Something fun)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com