Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Attachment link color (tends to blend)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Attachment link color (0)  
Hi

Am I the only one who thinks that attachments are not visible enough ? I'm not too keen on checking every member's registration date, you know. And the link is always blue, it blends with rest of forum disturbingly well.
I usually notice attachments when there's some talking about them.

How about orange color for attachment links ? Red could be too striking, not to mention I don't like it.
green is one of my favourite colors, but it might blend, too. However I think it would be more visible than blue.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-17-2005 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Attachment link color (0)  
b0rsuk wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that attachments are not visible enough?
I must say, this could be my monitor's problem, but I find orange and green makes my eyes hurt.

Blue certainly looks a lot easier for my eyes.

B0rsuk, would you have a problem if it was underline or bold?

But no orange please! (Although the current setup is okay for me as well...)

03-17-2005 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
I guess underline would be better. No part of post uses underline. Bold is used for member's name. Blue for some member names, and for links often present in signatures. O:-
So I vote for underline.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 08:54 AM]

03-18-2005 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
The current settings are fine with me. Orange on cyan looks horrible, and I think b0rsuk is colorblind to some degree. Underline is fine, but it's not really necessary. The one thing I don't understand, why do you need to make attachments that nobody mentions to be more visible? If they mention them - you know where to find them; if they don't - why bother looking?

03-18-2005 at 01:16 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Maybe just replace the "IP: logged" line with one or two blank lines? That will set apart the attachement from the user info, making it more noticable, and the "IP: logged" line is rather pointless anyway.

03-18-2005 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Not to admins. We see the log.

How about having the attachment come in its own little box, and that box is coloured differently? It wouldn't be hard to have the box coloured green or something, and slightly more work to have it coloured the other standard post colour (so if it's darkish blue, have it be lightish blue). This would also help the colourblind, as there'd be a nice border around it.

Matt

03-18-2005 at 03:00 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Hmm... This blue isn't the same as This blue. The brighter one might stand out better.

I don't have any propblems with the current system, though.
03-18-2005 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Mattcrampy wrote:
Not to admins. We see the log.

Yeah, I figured as much, but why does anyone else need that line? Can't it just be gone completely for non-admins?

03-18-2005 at 03:09 PM
Mattcrampy
Hang on, don't you see that line as well?

On a less persnickety note, you're right. It probably isn't necessary, unless that particular line changes to something like IP: not logged, alert the authorities.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 11:12 PM]

03-18-2005 at 11:10 PM
eytanz
I'm not a moderator. I just have a very large supply of mod points.

03-18-2005 at 11:29 PM
Mattcrampy
Aah, my bad.

Any other thoughts on making attachments easier to see? We have to remember that it's not just old hands who we're thinking of here, but new visitors to the forum who may expect attachemnts to be at the bottom of the post.

Matt

03-19-2005 at 07:03 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I think giving them a dark-moderate green colour would make them stand out without intruding on the blue aesthetic of the site too much. Or maybe an attachment image rather than only text?

03-19-2005 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
By the way: changing color of post subject may make it actually used . Really few people use it, because it's hard to notice.

It would be great - if possible - to make post subject another color, like green, if post subject isn't the same as topic subject. And for posts which start topics, this is a special case... -_- Again, underline should work well.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 07:19 PM]

03-19-2005 at 07:17 PM
eytanz
b0rsuk wrote:
It would be great - if possible - to make post subject another color, like green, if post subject isn't the same as topic subject. And for posts which start topics, this is a special case... -_- Again, underline should work well.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 07:19 PM]

Ack, no. It's not a good idea to encourage changing the post subject, since that just makes life difficult when using the search feature or looking at the list of mods.

03-19-2005 at 08:49 PM
Mattcrampy
I've seen websites using phpBB where there's lots of jokes based around the subject bar, and their subject lines are tiny. I think it's not so much that it's hard to notice, but that very few people here change the subject line, and so no-one really bothers to look at the subject line. So we probably won't do that.

Matt

03-20-2005 at 08:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Attachment link color (tends to blend)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com