Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Fish Fillets FAQ (version 1.00!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Fish Fillets FAQ (+4)  
Well, due to somewhat popular demand, attached to this post (edit: to a later post because of issues with the rights assignment when editing a post) is my FAQ for Fish Fillets that is also on GameFAQs. Please use this thread to critique the FAQ itself, or to ask for hints based on what you've already read in the FAQ. If you want to ask for help but don't want to read through the FAQ, please head over to this thread.

If you have an alternate solution to a level (sufficiently different to be worth including), or a solution to one of the final levels I haven't beaten yet, I can include it in the FAQ with an attribution to you. You can post it here or PM or e-mail it to me, whatever you please.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-28-2006 12:07 AM]
03-01-2005 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Fish Fillets FAQ (0)  
A few comments:

The path that you called "Aztec Art Hall" is named "Treasure Cave" in the remake.

Fire!

Click here to view the secret text

Ship Kitchen

Alternate solution:

03-02-2005 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Fire!

Yeah! I made my first route to the last level today (Outraged Greenpeace)

ps. This game should get a level editor.
03-02-2005 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Thanks for the comments

eytanz wrote:
The path that you called "Aztec Art Hall" is named "Treasure Cave" in the remake.

Just in case you think I named the paths myself...I used the names the game used to label the windows. I thought it was rather redundant myself, since there's a level in this path also called "Aztec Art Hall", but there you go.

For the Fire! level, I guess I'll have to play that far in the remake to check it out, because as Doom affirms, it's definitely that trivial in the original. I remember that Schik and I discussed this for a few minutes one day, and it seemed to be intentional due to the small fish's remarks. I guess the remake folks didn't feel that way.

For Ship's Kitchen, I'll add your alternate solution to the FAQ.

Thanks!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-02-2005 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Maybe you can send me a screenshot of the trivial solution (just show me the lifting configuration) and I'll tell you if it's possible in the remake.

03-02-2005 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Fire.JPG (11.8 KB)
Downloaded 140 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Fish Fillets FAQ (+1)  
Here's the trivial solution pic. Small fish moves 3 steps up and bigger fish swims under the cannon.
03-02-2005 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
And the small fish swims over it, if that's not obvious.

(Man, Doom...too fast!)

Game on,

03-02-2005 at 04:42 PM
eytanz
So, um, I'm a moron.

The same solution applies - I just really, really wasn't seeing it. Partially because the sword was so easy to use, I thought the little fish was referring to it.

03-02-2005 at 07:17 PM
Oneiromancer
*points and laughs*

Game on,

03-02-2005 at 07:24 PM
eytanz
I turned to the FAQ to help me with Biological Experiments where I am currently stuck, and discovered that the entry is totally useless in that it contains all the information I already know (i.e. what I need to do) but none of the information I don't (how to do it).

Oh, and there are two green circles, and it's not really clear which one you are referring to.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:03-03-2005 at 04:31 PM]

03-03-2005 at 04:27 PM
Oneiromancer
With the FAQ, my main intention was to let you know what you needed to do, but leave it to you to figure out how to move the fish to get there, unless that was the puzzle in and of itself. I thought that level was no exception, since by the time you get that far, you are pretty experienced with all the things the fish can do. Also, eventually the FAQ would just degenerate into a step-by-step walkthrough, and that's not what I want...it should be hints for the most part (except for some levels where it's all or nothing).

So if you're confused about the first part, with getting the eyeball in the middle of the pit...I guess the only other general hint I can offer besides what I have already is that you'll need to use the small fish to lift things that are dropped onto the middle ledge in order to get the eyeball where you want it. If that was useful to you I can add it...if not, let's figure out how to make the hint more helpful.

And yes, there are two green circles, but the one on the far bottom is totally useless to you (as is pretty much everything else down there) because you can't lift it up to the top. I made it more explicit in the FAQ though so there's no more confusion.

Game on,

03-03-2005 at 04:45 PM
eytanz
I'm sorry, there are *three* green circles. There's one on the bottom, one oth second ledge from the top and one inside the left metal thing. When you talk about extracting the green circle, it's not clear which of the latter two you refer to.

Also, while I'm critiquing your comments for this room, it's not so useful to refer to the "middle ledge" when there are four levels. It's pretty clear what you mean, but still.

As to your overall design - I realize that you don't want to be too explicit, and the only reason I'm pointing out this room is that, among the rooms I looked at, most do it a lot better. I think the main thing that's lacking is a reason for why exactly the eye needs to go in the middle, and how to stop the bottles from falling in afterwards. That's what I really can't figure out (though maybe I just need to take a break from this room and come back rather than seek hints, but if I am seeking hints, I'd like hints that help me).

03-03-2005 at 05:02 PM
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
I'm sorry, there are *three* green circles. There's one on the bottom, one oth second ledge from the top and one inside the left metal thing. When you talk about extracting the green circle, it's not clear which of the latter two you refer to.

Okay, I cleared it up. I'm pretty sure there's no possible way to extract the green circle/blob from the steel object, but I could be wrong. Now I refer to the "green blob on the second ledge from the top".

Also, while I'm critiquing your comments for this room, it's not so useful to refer to the "middle ledge" when there are four levels. It's pretty clear what you mean, but still.

There are 5 levels, actually, so the middle ledge is the 3rd one. Well, maybe 6 levels if you count the one in the upper left hand corner, but I think most people wouldn't.

I think the main thing that's lacking is a reason for why exactly the eye needs to go in the middle, and how to stop the bottles from falling in afterwards. That's what I really can't figure out (though maybe I just need to take a break from this room and come back rather than seek hints, but if I am seeking hints, I'd like hints that help me).

Okay, I'll explain why earlier. From the design of the level and the steel object on the left, it's pretty apparent (maybe just to me?) from the beginning that you are intended to use the big fish to push other objects to the right, into the other steel objects. Similar to many other levels, however, there's a pit which, if the wrong objects fall into it, will block your progress. At first, one might try to fill it up with three squares worth of objects, but then one would find that there aren't enough other objects to push the steel over. However, we do have enough 2 or more square wide objects, such that the eyeball in the middle of the pit is enough to bridge the gap and then the 1-square wide objects won't fall in (since they will be at the end of the line of objects).

Even when you do this, though, there aren't enough objects to push both steel objects down to the bottom. That's where the available green blob comes into play: when placed between the two steel objects on the middle ledge, it allows you to push only one steel object to the bottom and still leave room for the big fish to swim past. Without the green blob, you can push one steel object down but then the second one sticks out, blocking your way, and as I have said you can't do anything about it that I can see.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Game on,

03-03-2005 at 06:03 PM
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
Okay, I'll explain why earlier. From the design of the level and the steel object on the left, it's pretty apparent (maybe just to me?) from the beginning that you are intended to use the big fish to push other objects to the right, into the other steel objects. Similar to many other levels, however, there's a pit which, if the wrong objects fall into it, will block your progress. At first, one might try to fill it up with three squares worth of objects, but then one would find that there aren't enough other objects to push the steel over. However, we do have enough 2 or more square wide objects, such that the eyeball in the middle of the pit is enough to bridge the gap and then the 1-square wide objects won't fall in (since they will be at the end of the line of objects).

Even when you do this, though, there aren't enough objects to push both steel objects down to the bottom. That's where the available green blob comes into play: when placed between the two steel objects on the middle ledge, it allows you to push only one steel object to the bottom and still leave room for the big fish to swim past. Without the green blob, you can push one steel object down but then the second one sticks out, blocking your way, and as I have said you can't do anything about it that I can see.

My confusion was with the first part (mostly because, having failed to place the eye in the middle so far, I haven't given much thought as to whether any 1-square items will actually need to cross the pit). The second part was pretty clear.

Thanks,
Eytan

03-03-2005 at 07:33 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
since you're not doing a walkthrough, you might not want to label it as a walkthrough in the FAQ (it was named such in v 0.75, anyway). might want to call it "level hints" in the ToC or something.

anyway, as for level "Favorites" in the remake - the book does not fall out of the retro section for me (but, then, I had to put the book on top of the wooden thing with the 2 pegs out of it in order to get it over far enough for the big fish to clear). Nor can I see anyway in looking at the level script that the book could fall out, and it's certainly explicitly coded to.
On the other hand, if the goal is just to get the bird icon from the altar/notepad window onto the friends-list window, then you can use an icon from the stack on the left, I believe, to do so.

also, in the remake, you can save during/after the retro section (they didn't code it as a separate game, just made it some objects and used "older" graphics for them, then they switch which fish-objects you are in control of briefly).

[Edited by silver at Local Time:03-04-2005 at 07:23 AM]

03-04-2005 at 07:15 AM
Oneiromancer
silver wrote:
since you're not doing a walkthrough, you might not want to label it as a walkthrough in the FAQ (it was named such in v 0.75, anyway). might want to call it "level hints" in the ToC or something.

Good point...I want it to be halfway between a FAQ and a walkthrough, really. I want to cover every single room, thus it's kind of a walkthrough...but I also want to be sparse with my hints, thus it's more of a FAQ. "Level hints" is a good idea for the TOC for sure, but it doesn't flow as well in the text where I use "walkthrough" several times. Any ideas?

anyway, as for level "Favorites" in the remake - the book does not fall out of the retro section for me (but, then, I had to put the book on top of the wooden thing with the 2 pegs out of it in order to get it over far enough for the big fish to clear). Nor can I see anyway in looking at the level script that the book could fall out, and it's certainly explicitly coded to.

Did you mean "explicitly not coded to"? Anyway, that room was probably the worst for me to write the hints for, since I didn't have a saved game for the end (and actually couldn't even watch the solution in the replay), and I did it much worse than the first time, and I knew it, and it annoyed me. As always, if anyone wants to supply an alternate write-up, I'd be happy to include it.

On the other hand, if the goal is just to get the bird icon from the altar/notepad window onto the friends-list window, then you can use an icon from the stack on the left, I believe, to do so.

Yeah, I think I did it that way too once...but it was more likely for me to die that way so I stayed safe. If I was trying for the best time, I'd do that method.

also, in the remake, you can save during/after the retro section (they didn't code it as a separate game, just made it some objects and used "older" graphics for them, then they switch which fish-objects you are in control of briefly).

So I guess in the original it was actually a separate game? Anyway, in the original you can save during the retro section, just not afterwards. Or, actually, you can save after the retro section, but you can't load it since the fish disappear after they leave the retro section. Very annoying.

Game on,

03-04-2005 at 05:06 PM
eytanz
Ok, I need more help for Biological Experiments - at least some indication of what to use to get the green orb thing out. It seems it has to go from above (I tried getting it out from below but then I don't have enough room to push it on the metal thing), but I don't see how to get it off the ledge - there seems nothing I can move in such a way that either fish can end up lifting the ball.

(For the FAQ's purpose, I think a vague hint would be nice - "use the crab", but I'd appreicate a slightly more detailed solution here if possible).

03-04-2005 at 07:50 PM
Oneiromancer
Okay, here's what I did. In the process of getting all the 2-square or more wide objects on the middle ledge before all of the 1-square wide jars and such, I had to push one of the 1-square wide jars down on top of the pink blob thing, and then lift it up with the small fish (by pushing the blob to the side and getting under the jar). I then placed that jar on top of the line of other 1-square wide jars.

Once I pushed all the objects that could cross the pit down to the middle ledge, I started to push the 1-square wide jars in. But first that one jar on top of the others was pushed to the right of the 1-square green blob. Now that I think about it, the fact that it was on the right side might be totally unnecessary. But I'm going to report what I did just in case.

I pushed in the 1-square wide jars with the big fish; the small fish was between the second ledge from the top and the middle ledge. The most important thing to get the 1-square green blob is to have two of the 1-square jars stacked on top of each other right before the 1-square green blob is pushed in, but still have a spot open to push a jar out of the way to the left (thus, it has to fall into an open space) and get under the 1-square blob. Then it's not too tough to raise it up to the top and over to the right, assuming that you haven't gotten the steel objects and the syringes in unsolveable positions.

In the FAQ, I'll put the information about dropping two of the jars down in order to get the green blob.

Game on,

03-04-2005 at 08:10 PM
Oneiromancer

File: fish_fillets.txt (90.4 KB)
Downloaded 100 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
This is the latest version of the FAQ, also available on GameFAQs.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-27-2006 11:58 PM]
10-05-2005 at 04:30 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Fish Fillets FAQ (+2)  
The Fish Fillets FAQ is now updated to version 1.00 in the post above and on GameFAQs. The FAQ is now complete, with hints for every single level in the game. I actually haven't personally beaten every single room, but I did have solution movies for two of the final levels provided to me from some kind gamers, which I watched carefully and wrote up. I just don't have the interest in solving it for myself anymore, but I did want to finish the FAQ. If people have better writeups than mine, or corrected errors, I will happily include them in future versions, but I probably won't be answering requests for more hints beyond what I already have published.

Game on,

04-28-2006 at 12:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Fish Fillets FAQ (version 1.00!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com