Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Almost 1000 registered members
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Almost 1000 registered members (+1)  
Its "volition", only spelt with y's instead of the vowels and a c instead of the t. The reason for the c and the y's is that I am trying to learn to speak Lojban(its a constructed language), and in it y is pronounced like a schwa and c's are pronounced with the sh sound. So when you pronounce it in Lojban, it sounds aproximately like the word volition. Actually, I changed to vylycyn to make my name make more sense, but I guess that it didn't work out so well. I used to use xiist as a screen name, but that really was completely random.

[Last edited by vylycyn at 09-16-2022 04:27 PM]
03-05-2005 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Almost 1000 registered members (0)  
/clap

Very nice first post! Have some extra rank points.

And yeah, you were probably right to be worried about it taking up to much of your time. Mwahaha!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-05-2005 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Well, that turned out all right. As promised, I completely missed the signing up of member 1000, he turned out to be a neat addition to the forum, and he was a lurker that signed up of his own vylycyn.

Welcome to the forums, Will, and we hope you enjoy your time here. I mean, your time here when we know your name.

Matt

03-06-2005 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I wonder who member 1337 will be. :)
03-08-2005 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Almost 1000 registered members (+2)  
I dunno, but I'll say it again to everybody, please, no fake/extra accounts. I am thinking a viciously ironic penalty would be to delete the old account and leave the user with just his new one.

-Erik

03-08-2005 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Would it really be that bad logging on as '1337d00d', member 1337? ;)

But seriously, I agree with Erik. It'll be pr0n4kit10-gate all over again.
03-08-2005 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Now that we have over 1000 members, I'd be interested to see how many of those are active posters. Is there an easy way to arrange all the members in order of when their last post was?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-15-2005 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
According to the statistics there are 216 active members at the moment.
03-15-2005 at 07:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Another useful trick when determining forum quality:

Avg Posts Per Topic: 10.267

From my observations, forums with lots of spam/random posts tend to have few posts per topic. This is because there are lots of lazy/stupid people there, who prefer to create new topic with name like "Should I use Cucumber Launcher or find a better weapon?" or, even worse, "help".
Such people usually ignore stickies even if they trip over them.

People more intelligent than average stool are capable of using search function, reading stickies, or posting their question in already existing topic.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-17-2005 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
b0rsuk wrote:

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder what the averag would be if you discarded all the "Forum Games" posts that go on for 45 pages. Probably still pretty high, though not quite so high.

++Adam H. Peterson
03-17-2005 at 09:26 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Actually, the "Other Boards" is one of the things that make this forum so great, if only because it channels all these 45-page activities that otherwise would totally drown the honest people needing help with killing the boss of the 13th level and whatnot. Rephrasing a popular quote, if we're gonna have crime around here, the least we can do is make sure it's well organized :) This forum is really great, and the point system makes sure that there is no spam for ranks (in some forums it's so terrible that they have special boards that serve as the slammer for the most malicious spammers).

03-17-2005 at 09:52 PM
b0rsuk
AlefBet wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder what the averag would be if you discarded all the "Forum Games" posts that go on for 45 pages. Probably still pretty high, though not quite so high.

Don't forget that on forums like Feature Requests, there are very few repplies in general. It's not uncommon to see a topic with 0 repplies.

03-18-2005 at 07:03 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Almost 1000 registered members (+2)  
I did a little math.

Average Posts Per Topic on every board:
News: 13,14
General: 14,28
Holds: 13,03
Hints and Solutions: 5,57
Challenges: 5,29
Feature Requests: 8,36
Bugs: 4,69
The Site: 7,98
Architecture: 19,55
Development: 14,68
Electronic Games: 14,98
Forum Games: 154,24 (!)
Anything: 12,15
The averages are actually quite high on most boards. And I've never realised that forum games had this many posts per topic.
03-18-2005 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
ErikH2000 wrote:
I dunno, but I'll say it again to everybody, please, no fake/extra accounts. I am thinking a viciously ironic penalty would be to delete the old account and leave the user with just his new one.

-Erik

Some people, like me for example, would be happy to give up their old account and have to log in to the new one with the cool ID. What you should do is delete the new one and remove all of the rank points from the original. Or just tinker with the new one so the person doesn't like it.
03-18-2005 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, I'd love to change the name of mine, but it's just one of those things that I've learned to live with. Yes, you may not like the name that your parent's gave you, but you live with it. At least you got to choose your forum name.

Hoo-wee. I seem to be in a bit of a rant mode today. Going back to sanity, email Erik about it, explain your situation, and he'll tell you what you can do about it(If anything).

03-19-2005 at 12:39 AM
b0rsuk
I don't get it.

Why there are sooo many accounts with 0 posts ? What's the point of creating such account ? You can browse the forum anyway, logged in or not.

EDIT: it would be nice if sentence like "you can view posts in this forum" was written in CAPS and <h1>H1</h1>

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 08:30 PM]

03-19-2005 at 08:29 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, if you have an account you can keep track of what threads you've been viewing. And you can get/send PMs. Plus, if you ever decide to make a post, you don't need to take the time to create an account.

03-19-2005 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
eytanz wrote:
Well, if you have an account you can keep track of what threads you've been viewing. And you can get/send PMs. Plus, if you ever decide to make a post, you don't need to take the time to create an account.

Point taken. But somehow I don't believe there are hundreads of people subscribed to DROD news, for example.

So who gets all these PM's ? Do roachlings talk to each other using PM's ? Or are there some members who get zillions of PM's each day ? (That could explain why Erik has PM disabled). In other words, Theorycrafter Is You !

No, you don't need to take time and register. You need to take time trying to recall that blasted password. And, in many cases, believe me - such people end up creating another account.

03-19-2005 at 09:43 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
b0rsuk wrote:
So who gets all these PM's ? Do roachlings talk to each other using PM's ?
I just did a quick overall look at the PMs without reading the actual messages (don't want to do that--they are meant to be private). I thought it might be worth it to make sure there weren't any Al Queda operatives using DROD.net. The answer would be that, no, roachlings don't talk to each other via PMs very often, if at all. The 1800 or so PMs are generated by maybe 20 hardcore forumites.

I disable my PMs because I much prefer to get all my messages in one place (my e-mail inbox).

-Erik

03-19-2005 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Also, Some people sign up for the forum to ask for help, only to then figure out how to do a room. Also, you can't search for specific room help properly without having an account, so they may have signed up, gone to post for help. then found what they were looking for in an existing thread.
03-20-2005 at 10:46 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Almost 1000 registered members
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com