Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Generic Game Reviewing Thread This topic has been locked
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon The Generic Game Reviewing Thread (0)  
Rather than having millions of topics posted for new games, I'm going to start a new thread for when you find a good game. I'm not going to place too many rules, but I will have 5 guidelines.

1. Name the Game (Duh)

2. Name the genre(s) the game falls into.

3. Name the good points about the game. (Pros)

4. Name the bad parts about the game. (Cons)

5. One summary line (Optional)

And there we go. Personally, I like the idea of going through one topic rather than slogging through multiple topics. The only thing I will ask is not to post scores (IE - x/10). I find that the score really depends on the person playing it. I'll start off with a recent one I found in the used game section at EB Games.

Mini Car Racing (eGames, 2000)

Genre - Arcade, Racing

Pros
-Easy to get into
-One of the few "Family-Friendly" games that have weapons in it.
-Multiplayer with both Championship and Versus modes (Including battle).
-Very addictive gameplay
-45 Racing courses.

Cons
-Championship mode requires you play each course twice
-Game can get repetitive if not on multiplayer
-No online/LAN multiplayer

Edit - This may be a bit anti-climatic, but it turns out this is my 1000th post.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:01-12-2005 at 10:59 PM]

01-12-2005 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The Generic Game Reviewing Thread (0)  
Wait a sec.... we now have an entire board for different games, and you want to discuss all of them in one thread?

We've got an Adventure Games topic, a Nostalgic Gaming topic, two Action Games topics, an Obscure Games topic, and probably others like that that I missed. I guess I don't get what this thread is here to accomplish.

01-13-2005 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Wouldn't it only get harder to find the review you are looking for if all reviews are crammed into one huge topic?
Also, I have found that things get more feedback when they have their own threads.
Also, I dislike the no-score thingy.

But it's up to the reviewer to decide where to post.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-13-2005 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The Generic Game Reviewing Thread (+1)  
I suggest, that if you want to score, score it as noun out of ten. Example: banana /10.

I personally use a rating system based loosely on that "two thumbs up" thing I've heard about. (See, here in Australia we don't get whoever does that. we have David and Margaret, who are far more entertaining because you love and hate each for different reasons, and they manage to bicker at least once every episode. It's high-class and low-class all in one show.)

The way I score is this: if it's good, it's thumbs up. If it's bad, it's thumbs down. If it was okay, not great, you're ambivalent, thumb sideways. Three days later, after you've calmed down, if it was still the best thing ever, brain-meltingly good, double thumb up. If after three days it's still a trainwreck, brain-shockingly bad, two thumbs down. I figure, why graduate things? What does 6/10 mean anyway, that you're harsh and it's good, that you're lenient and it's bad?

With mine, at least you know whether I liked it or not, and whether or not it's a classic. Which serves the purposes of scoring admirably, while being sufficently vague enough to compensate for the fact that you probably don't like platformers as much as I do and thus am willing to score them higher even if they're garbage.

Matt

01-13-2005 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
The way I score is this: if it's good, it's thumbs up. If it's bad, it's thumbs down. If it was okay, not great, you're ambivalent, thumb sideways. Three days later, after you've calmed down, if it was still the best thing ever, brain-meltingly good, double thumb up. If after three days it's still a trainwreck, brain-shockingly bad, two thumbs down. I figure, why graduate things? What does 6/10 mean anyway, that you're harsh and it's good, that you're lenient and it's bad?

Um, what you described is a 5 point system. So 6/10 = 3/5 = "thumb sideways". I think they're equally subjective rating systems.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-13-2005 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Hmmm...good point. I guess I'm just lazy at heart. Feel free to delete this topic, O Mighty Administrators!

01-13-2005 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Umm, err, I'm pretty sure deleting topics is the responsibility of the guy who created them.
And I heard somewhere that if you delete the first post, the whole topic collapses.

01-17-2005 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
It seems not quite right to delete it all. I'm just going to lock it.

-Erik

01-17-2005 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Generic Game Reviewing Thread This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com