Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : newer hold (its nwrer)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged

File: newer hold.hold (8.3 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
icon newer hold (+1)  
Way back in 2017, in the wake of some relative success with "new hold", I (enthusiastically, I imagine) got to work on a sequel. I built room after room, until I had the same-size level as the original, and then...I suppose something happened, and it got shelved. Some rooms were incomplete sketches, but a majority were finished.

Some time later, I don't know exactly when, I looked back at "newer hold", and left some notes for myself to please figure out some of the harder rooms, because I'd never actually left myself a hint for any of them, let alone a demo!

And finally, a few days ago, I stumbled back across the draft of a hold and decided to try and finish it. I no longer remembered which rooms were actually "finished", and I no longer remembered any of the solutions. I basically posed myself a set of riddles across a seven-year gap. These rooms are, on the whole, markedly harder than most of "new hold" was, so these weren't trivial riddles, either.

Anyway, what's attached to this post is the fruits of my labor. Several of the rooms were complete, and I found to be satisfying puzzles. A few were definitely incomplete, and a couple I'm pretty sure I originally perceived as complete were simply too frustrating, and needed some retooling. Nearly all of the rooms were checkpointless.

As of right now, I have a demo for every room except for 2S2W. I'm reasonably sure that room is complete, and I know what the concept behind its solution is, but haven't managed to reproduce a successful playthrough of hte room as of yet. Maybe I should make it more lenient due to that, but I'd like to give others a shot at solving it before I decide whether to change it.

Anyway, the situation here is the same as a bunch of my other recent posts in this subforum. I'm of a mind to finish editing this level, ensure I have a set of working demos, and publish it. If anyone's willing to provide some testing and feedback, I'll be happy to hear it. Maybe some rooms have badly-placed checkpoints or could use some further tweaking in the matters of either difficulty or frustration. Please let me know what you think.

Oh, and I haven't come up with any challenges for this thing. If you see something that you think would make a good challenge, let me know.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-07-2024 01:47 AM]
03-02-2024 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623

File: nh demos.demo (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
icon Re: newer hold (+1)  
Once again, a really cool hold with a main concept behind the puzzles which I quite enjoy, though most of the rooms were pretty tough. In some of them I knew what to do but couldn't manage to pull it off.
Below you find some comments for some of the rooms and I also attached the demos for those I managed to clear.

About the checkpoints, here is my point of view and the advice I can give you.

03-04-2024 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
A few replies..or maybe several:

Update: Leak fix in 2S.

...I may make more edits later.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-05-2024 12:07 AM]
03-05-2024 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII

File: nh still broken.demo (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
icon Re: newer hold (0)  
Sorry, the room I was curious about was 1N1W, I literally tried everything except the intended solution, so I think it cannot be broken.
However, I did break 2S again, since no mirrors are needed. I also attached a demo for 2S1W which I managed to clear.

03-05-2024 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
What's happening in your demo for 2S, according to all I understand about Halph...should not be happening? He's just deciding for some reason to go an extra tile east instead of going straight to the button Beethro asked him to hit. And he doesn't do that consistently if I mess around in the room myself! Is this a bug, or some really obscure Halph behavior?

EDIT: From some advice in caravelnet chat, it seems this is just a manifestation of this nonsense. So I'll try to reorganize the room slightly so that whether or not solutions work don't depend on that later.

Anyway...

Your demo for 2S1W looks fine to me, pretty much as intended. For 1N1W, I'll try some progressive hints...

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-06-2024 01:35 AM]
03-06-2024 at 12:51 AM
Red-XIII

File: nh newer level 1N1W Victory.demo (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
I'm going to be honest, I found the Halph room solution by trial and error, so I didn't really pay attention to the weird behavior he displayed (I read the threads).

About 1N1W, I knew pretty much everything you said in the hints, I just needed a good and easy setup (which I found). By the way, what do you mean with "You can save some of the powder kegs from exploding", I saved all of them, isn't this the purpose of the mirror?
In my old attempts I tried to use all of the roaches to press the pp for me after I killed the two EEs, but couldn't do it.

03-06-2024 at 06:03 PM
Xindaris
Oh, right--somehow in my own testing of 1N1W, I didn't think to use the mirror to stop the fuses. I think letting the player keep all the kegs in that room is fine. My own setup completely boxes the roach in to make it pace, but yours looks good too.

In other news...

Update:
-Made the outer doors stay shut in 2S2W, as previously mentioned. I can now solve this room, and have a demo for it! I've now got a very strong suspicion that when I originally built the room, those doors stayed shut, but I then convinced myself that that was "too easy" and made them open, and was trying to see if it was still solvable that way..and of course, since then, forgot about all of that. I honestly don't think the room is solvable if those outer doors open, but perhaps I'm just not good enough.
-Made significant edits to 2S, such that it much better enforces the kind of solution I had in mind and does not invoke any pathfinding nonsense in its solution.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-07-2024 01:53 AM]
03-07-2024 at 01:50 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : newer hold (its nwrer)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com