Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : LASER TANK (Another great puzzle game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
IP: Logged
icon LASER TANK (+2)  
DROD fans, I just want to inform you that the next best game (after DROD of course) is LASER TANK.

Features:

-FREE
-Turn-based like DROD
-2030 levels from Kiddy to Deadly
-Editor to make your own levels

The link is

http://pages.globetrotter.net/lasertank/lt1.html

12-15-2004 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: LASER TANK (0)  
This is an excellent game! You will even find some levels in there that I wrote. :)

-Erik

12-15-2004 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You can't download from that link, you need the frame on the side...here's a better link: http://pages.globetrotter.net/lasertank/ltank_en.html

I could have sworn I tried this game before, but I can't find it on my laptop. So I'll try it again...looks like it could be good.

Technically, this post would have made more sense attached to the "Other good puzzle games" thread, but as it's the Anything forum I'm not going to force it really.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-15-2004 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: LASER TANK (+1)  
Ah, and also this is one of the puzzle games I had my eye on for competing against for sheer number of levels. It turns out we have finally made more than there are for LaserTank (3358 DROD rooms or "levels" at time of posting). I remember saying to Mike years back when we were working on AE, "if we make this level editor, we're going to have some crazy huge amount of levels like LaserTank or Chips Challenge." It's good to be right about things. :)

I wonder if we have more than Chips now. I'd have to open up a bunch of archives and count level files. Hmmm. And if I try that hard, then I start feeling a little foolish and petty about the whole thing.

-Erik

12-15-2004 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Fast forward two weeks into the future:

secretbadguy: Matt? You there?
Mersudraconis: Ayup.
secretbadguy: Would you be able to do me a favour?
Merusdraconis: sure, Erik. What do you need?
secretbadguy: I need you to make a couple of rooms for me.
Merusdraconis: Oh, okay. Any sort of room?
secretbadguy: No, just anything will do. We need to beat Chip's Challenge.
Merusdraconis: Heh heh. sure, I'll whip something up.
secretbadguy: I'm not joking here. I need it by Friday, or else. They're releasing another twenty levels then.
Merusdraconis: Sure, sure.
secretbadguy: I know where you live.
Merusdraconis: Uhh...
secretbadguy: don't fail me. OR ELSE.
Merusdraconis: Is that the doorbell?
** You have been disconnected.

And then I move to New Zealand.

Matt

12-16-2004 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Ohhhh, I would never start a cold war with the CC players. Those guys are ruthless. They replay levels again and again to shave an extra tenth of a second off their times. In the end, I know I can't compete against that kind of discipline and efficiency. They would bury us.

-Erik

12-16-2004 at 02:15 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Yes, I now see the topic "other good puzzle games"
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=188&page=0
also posted on the ANYTHING BOARD.

It did get a lot of responses. What do people think of making a board just for other puzzle games/sites?
12-16-2004 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Yes, it was also on the Anything board...what I meant earlier was that if it had been a less relaxed section, I would have combined the threads, but since it's in this area it's really not worth getting worked up over.

I think it makes the most sense to keep all non-DROD stuff to one board...we still want the focus of the forum to be on DROD. In my opinion of course.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-16-2004 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Well, besides being a DROD forum this is also the biggest and best forum of puzzle game lovers. (At least to my knowledge. Are there any other active communities devoted to puzzle games?
12-17-2004 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I am sure there are many others. I think the Dexterity Software forums is where Erik went to get people to playtest JtRH who had never played DROD before...and it also was a temporary place for the forums when they were down for a few weeks.

There is always Usenet too...comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.puzzle perhaps?

This is a great forum and it might be the best and most mature but I'm sure it's not the only one.

Game on,

12-17-2004 at 04:48 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: LASER TANK (+2)  
First Larry said his bit, and I thought "Yeah, why not?" Then Onei responded, and I thought, "Well, he's got a point there--maybe we shouldn't." And then I thought about really super hard for an intense 30 seconds such that my head glowed white from the heat.

There are other places to talk about puzzle games. But most of them suffer from some combination of the following:
- Spam posts.
- Pop-ups and banners.
- Annoying user posts due to lack of moderation.
- Annoying user posts due to participation of users interested in non-puzzle games. (Puzzle gamers are better forum participants on average than other genres which seem to attract attitudes fueled by nerd testosterone.)

So I think we could be a pretty decent destination for general talk about puzzle games, and crossover from other puzzle games is helpful to DROD. And I had some other strategic thoughts that if I shared them would make me sound like the Architect from Matrix Reloaded, in other words, hopelessly grandiose. (Every day is a struggle not to succumb to megalomania!)

Alright, I'm going to make another board. And move some topics there so it doesn't seem too lonely.

-Erik

12-17-2004 at 06:27 PM
Oneiromancer
Alright, you're the boss. I'll move more posts over also that match the theme.

Game on,

12-17-2004 at 06:45 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Back on topic, there is a similar game Laser Kombat which has much less levels, but the overall quality of them is a bit better. I would recommended this if you like Laser Tank.

[Edited by Krishh at Local Time:12-18-2004 at 01:54 AM]
12-17-2004 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : LASER TANK (Another great puzzle game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com