Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Void Stranger (La Mulana + Sokoban-style Puzzle Game = ???)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Void Stranger (+5)  
You do remember why you are here, right?

Or have you lost something?

Something very important to you.

Released just over a month ago, Void Stranger has been increasingly recommended for its comparisons to La Mulana, Tunic, Fez and so forth. And given its basic nature as a top-down turn-based puzzler, it's almost certainly a good fit for people who love DROD. I've already put 15 hours into it, and barely scratched the surface.

But saying anything specific about Void Stranger can be detrimental, because this is definitely a game best experienced knowing almost nothing about it.

So, let's see what I *can* say. From the screenshots on the store page, you'll clearly see that the game is mainly presented as single screen 14x8 tile rooms in 4-colour grayscale (or tinted to other colours in the settings). And it's through this lens that you can explore a dungeon filled with hidden secrets and lore. Why are you here? What's your goal? What does that object X over there do? Everything else begins as a mystery and remains to be discovered through experimentation and exploration. Be prepared to make lots and lots of notes.

Also, be careful if you search for info about Void Stranger... it's incredibly easy to see spoilers in video titles and forum posts, especially given it has such a distinctive name. (Patch notes also contain spoilers, but they're hidden behind spoiler tags.)

There's two more things I should note about Void Stranger's approach to save files and opening/closing the game, which could impact anyone who wishes to stream this game. I'm aiming for extremely minimal spoilers with this section, but just in case, I'll place this in secret tags:

Click here to view the secret text

Void Stranger is available on Steam. (Also itch.io, but that gives you a Steam key anyways.)

Good luck.
10-04-2023 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Void Stranger (La Mulana + Sokoban-style Puzzle Game = ???)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com