Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I finished my first game jam (roguelike deckbuilder)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon I finished my first game jam (+4)  
I participated in the 7DRL 2023 Challenge over the past week. I had 7 days to make a roguelike game and submit it.

My game is a deckbuilder. Killing enemies gives materials and experience, both of which lead into gain or modifying cards. It was a great learning experience, and I'm glad I participated.

Unfortunately, my game didn't have quite enough time. There are a few known issues, the worst of which is probably that upgraded cards don't show their upgrades anywhere. Since I only found out about the event when there were five and a half days remaining, I'll probably do one more day to update it and try to fix things. There are a few features that were planned but never ended up being implemented, so I'd like to see how much more I can get done with one more day. The scope of the game was deliberately kept small to conform to the one-week time limit, so barring bug and balance fixes I doubt I'll be doing much more with the project after putting in one more day.

Here's a link to the game page on itch.io. It's playable in the browser, so you shouldn't need to download anything to give the game a try. The download is also free if you want a desktop version.

03-13-2023 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: I finished my first game jam (+1)  
I was eager to try it out. But the game consistently crashes the browser tab for me. This happens after I click "run game" and see the loading spinner go around a bit. Then the spinner freezes on one frame and the browser tab becomes unresponsive. This is Chrome on MacOS, hardware-accelerated canvas.

I assume this is because you added some code in the game like this:

if (user === "erikh2000") { while(true) { console.log('aahahaha! you fell into my trap! '); } }

;)

-Erik

03-13-2023 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: ff.png (23.2 KB)
Downloaded 415 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: I finished my first game jam (0)  
Re: Erik's crash, the same thing happens in Firefox for me.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-13-2023 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Oh no.

I've tested the game and it works for me on FireFox, Chrome, and Edge from a Windows 10 machine. disoriented, are you also using a mac?

I've been able to confirm that it doesn't work on Chrome on my macbook, but that thing is ancient and out of date and has issues with lots of websites.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 03-14-2023 02:27 AM]
03-14-2023 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
This obviously isn't viable for a longterm solution, but I just got my father to run some tests for me on his mac, and it seems that it wouldn't load on firefox, chrome, or safari for him. However, as we were talking on the phone, firefox did eventually load after it looked like it wasn't responsive. Several minutes later chrome also managed to finish loading.

I have no idea what's going on or why it would take that long, but if you both could try loading the game again and then just leaving it for a bit, I'd be curious if it actually would end up loading.

Regardless, it's not a great situation. I'm just trying to figure out what the problem actually is before I start trying to fix it.

03-14-2023 at 06:09 AM
mauvebutterfly
Does this forum have any etiquette rules regarding double/triple-posting? Maybe I'm thinking of the RPG Maker forums where you get scolded for that.

Anyway, I was talking with some people in the 4drl Discord, and I think we might have found the issue.

Godot Engine 4.0 was released on March 1st, and apparently web exports are still a work in progress. I've checked with several more people at this point, and the consensus seems to be that mac loads are super slow but windows users aren't having any issues.

There's not much I can do on my end unless I try to build my own web export or something, which I am woefully unqualified to even think about, so I guess I'm waiting several months or years for an eventual Godot update.

03-14-2023 at 07:48 AM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
I'm on Firefox on a PC and there was a brief stall at the end of the load, but it was basically just enough to make me wonder if there was a problem and not enough to leave me time to consider reloading.

This was a fun little game. Pretty much everything needs a bit more explanation, but I recognize that's not a priority in a Jam, especially not your first one. The card play mechanic is a clever idea that could use a little more work and retooling. It was nearly always possible to play at least four of your five cards. And since the order of the effects didn't seem to matter, it was easy to play the strongest hand you could. It might be interesting if, in addition to the--I think the in-game term is "catalyst"--mechanic, some of the cards also had their own ordering effects. So, something like "This card is worth double if played first" and "This card will end your turn."

But fundamentally, this is a fun first effort. I can't speak to the coding issues, but from a game design perspective, I think you have an idea that's worth pursuing.
03-14-2023 at 12:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I think this sort of post is the type where a double or more post isn't against the spirit of the rule. The rule is to prevent spam. If you have an update about your game, that you made, in your thread, I think you are good.

03-14-2023 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: safari.png (87.5 KB)
Downloaded 331 times.
Safari showed this error (I don't know if it's helpful or not)
)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 03-14-2023 06:52 PM]
03-14-2023 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Gordius: Thanks for the feedback. I do like the card mechanic. While I don't think I'll be doing a whole lot with Astral Path itself in the future, I do want to use the catalyst-chaining system again in a future project. I guess this works as a proof of concept.

disoriented: That screenshot is actually pretty useful. I used to get the same thing on Windows, but after enabling SharedArrayBuffer on the itch.io game page the error went away for me. The fact that Mac users still get the error is good to know.

I've just gotten confirmation from another person on the Godot Discord that Mac HTML exports are a known issue with the new Godot Engine, so at this point I'm going to stop trying to fix this for now.

03-14-2023 at 07:52 PM
ErikH2000

File: astral-log.png (99 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
I tried waiting out the freeze. Yeah, that works. After a minute or so, I get to the main screen. And I'll try playing the game in a moment, but I'm assuming that will work.

Attached, see my shot of the browser console.log with output during the freeze time. There is a message about blocking on the main thread which sounds applicable. Though I see the code is being called from a file named AstralPath.service.worker.js, which kinda implies the code is running from a service worker rather than the main thread. >>shrug<<

-Erik

03-15-2023 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
A little more analysis from the call stack...

This line of code is called from the start() function in AstralPath.js:

me.rtenv['callMain'](me.config.args);

The call stack then descends into framework-ish stuff that I can't make a lot of sense out of. There's some web assembly code deeper in. I'm guessing it's just Godot engine code, and there's some bug with the Godot engine on Mac/web.

-Erik

03-15-2023 at 12:19 AM
mauvebutterfly
Last night I did what will hopefully be the final update to this project. There are two separate pages now since I need to keep the game jam version available for the duration of the voting period. I'm not planning on doing anything else with this game at this point.

This is the current version. I recommend playing this one, since it should be a much better experience than the original game jam version. It has more content, better UI, fewer bugs, and better game balance. Version 1.2 is a downloadable file for Windows, while the version without a download number is the original game jam version.

This is the original game jam version. It is playable in the browser. Because of an issue on itch.io's end I couldn't have a downloadable file on the same page as an HTML5 game, so the downloadable version of this edition of the game is available under the other link. I don't really recommend this one unless you want to be comparing the various game jam entries or something of that nature and like playing prototypes of games that are full of issues.

03-28-2023 at 09:45 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Just tried this out, and the game has crashed several times when pressing 0 to confirm using a portal.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

03-29-2023 at 09:29 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
NoahT wrote:
Just tried this out, and the game has crashed several times when pressing 0 to confirm using a portal.

To the extent it helps diagnose, I've only had this problem entering neutral portals. Entering elemental portals worked fine every time I tried.
03-30-2023 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
I posted an update to itch.io.

I rewrote my world generator. I suspect that a deliberate inefficiency in the original generator was causing the crash, but I'm still not entirely sure what the issue was. Regardless, the new generator no longer has the possibility of repeating the same code over and over.

I explain the old algorithm and my suspicions in this devlog, but I'll be honest that I still don't know for sure why there was an issue. The new version seems to work though, so hopefully I fixed it.

Thanks Gordius and NoahT for notifying me of this problem, and sorry that it took me so long to get around to fixing it or replying about the issue here.

04-16-2023 at 11:45 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I've experienced one portal crash in the latest version but I haven't reproduced it. Also, there's no "You have died" message for dying when winning a battle.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

04-30-2023 at 08:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I finished my first game jam (roguelike deckbuilder)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com