Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Treacle Stew (2022 Smitemaster's Selection)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.2/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.35
Author Name:Leylite
Submitted By:Chaco
Hold Name:Treacle Stew
Theme:2022 Smitemaster's Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:188
Number of Monsters:1444
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:41 (+41 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged
icon Treacle Stew  
Finally, after years of development, it's here! The Smitemasters' Selection Treacle Stew is ready for you to play.

My name is still George Wanfried, and I've now been playing DROD on-and-off for over seventeen years. It's incredible that a puzzle game can stay fresh and replayable all this time, so I hope this can help keep that trend going.

This hold represents my own initiative to help continue the tradition of the "Smitemasters' Selection" program. We may have seen the end of Beethro's story in DROD: The Second Sky, but there's still opportunities to see more of the middle of it, or perhaps other stories someday. This has been a labor of love from beginning to end, and although I've personally put a lot of effort into it in terms of both puzzles and story, I absolutely would not have been able to get it over the finish line without help from Mike Rimer, Matt Schikore and the community at large. The story is of my own design, but it's been given enough help and revisions from Mike that we can consider it canon to DROD's overarching saga.

Following the events of DROD: The Second Sky's endgame, Beethro needs to help the people of Dugandy move through the Great Beneath. Devising a plan with Halph and 1st Defense Coordinator, Beethro's mission is to help the tunnelling crew by getting access to large amounts of Forbidden Gel - and along the way, investigate the mystery of what caused the Gel to become Forbidden. What follows is a devious set of puzzles, all focused on the Forbidden Gel, gel babies and gel mothers. If you can make it all the way to the end, you'll be a premiere Gel Technician who can face Gel with confidence!

This hold could not have seen the light of day without an elite squad of beta testers, more numerous than I can count on my fingers. Huge thanks to Dischorran, disoriented, Doom, Insoluble, kieranmillar, Michael S. Repton, and skell for testing this hold in its early days, and special thanks to Dragon Fogel for checking the hold end-to-end multiple times through the development process. Thank you all for your incredible patience!

As usual, there is also a tremendous amount of voice acting, and some nice art too!

Voice Credits

averagemoe - Citizens, 100th Tar Technician
azb - Halph
George Wanfried (Chaco) - Citizens
Illusionist - 121st Tar Technician
Irashtar - Receptionist, 16th Tar Technician
LovaP48 - Hint Guy
Lucky Luc - 1st Tar Technician
navithmastero - 144th Tar Technician
RabidChild - Narrator, 18th Archivist
Sam Benner (Someone Else) - 1st Defense Coordinator, 729th Tar Technician
Meghan Pugh - Vonnifa
Logan West - Beethro
Xindaris - 169th Tar Technician, Guards

Artists

Edgar Iván Ramos Vallejo - Official cover art
peejle - Contribution to Post-Mastery art section

Now that the hold is published and the veil of secrecy is lifted, I'm sure I'll have plenty more to talk about in the future, but that's enough for now.

Go play, and have fun!

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-02-2022 03:31 PM]
12-02-2022 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: Treacle Stew (+1)  
Looks like I found an unintended solution in one of the secrets:
Click here to view the secret text

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 12-06-2022 09:08 PM]
12-06-2022 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Treacle Stew (0)  
Brings new meaning to "going green".

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-07-2022 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LovaP48
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 103
I also found a solution of that secret

Moreover, not sure if it is an unintended solution, but in "Level Three 1E", I did not drink the potion.

Maybe a challenge to be added? "Slow and steady wins the race": Do not drink the speed potion.
12-07-2022 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
icon Re: Treacle Stew (+2)  
LovaP48 wrote:
I also found a solution of that secret

Moreover, not sure if it is an unintended solution, but in "Level Three 1E", I did not drink the potion.

Maybe a challenge to be added? "Slow and steady wins the race": Do not drink the speed potion.

Chaco was saying in chat that the speed potion is more there for convenience rather than as a core component of the puzzle:

level 3 1E, the original version of that room didn't have a speed potion but I added it for convenience to help stop the "you blow up a keg, gel babies immediately eat you" problem

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 12-07-2022 11:11 AM]
12-07-2022 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
You should play this hold.

12-08-2022 at 06:06 AM
LovaP48
navithmastero wrote:
Chaco was saying in chat that the speed potion is more there for convenience rather than as a core component of the puzzle
Go figure, that thought did cross my mind.

One more "challenge" bit like that, in "Level 12.5, 1 East", I used only 3 of the 4 tunnels. I am not claiming this to be "unintended" because of aesthetics.
Though, perhaps removing the bottom connecting tunnels is not that big of a damage to that.

If anyone fancies, have at the challenge ;)
12-09-2022 at 09:05 AM
LovaP48
Phew, that was a hold and a half!
I have just post-Mastered it about an hour ago, including the non-required rooms, some of which were very tricky.
Though, since I do not have CaravelNet at the moment, I cannot really upload the scores anywhere...

The hold is definitely on the harder and tricky side... Sometimes frustratingly tricky!!
Then again, I did not expect anything less from a veteran like Chaco.

7.5 on difficulty, maybe should have given 8...
10 on enjoyment, even if a few rooms frustrated me. Those were just bad apples I am willing to overlook in this kind of a project.

Thanks once more!!
12-13-2022 at 02:30 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Finished the hold, working on secrets now.

The hold was lots of fun, and the effort put in by everyone really shows.
12-16-2022 at 06:29 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Treacle Stew (+3)  
Conquered it yesterday. Overall pretty fun Chaco hold, with medium to occasionally a bit tricky puzzles. Seems to be mostly focused on execution difficulty - I don't think there were too many rooms with some devious lynchpin hidden inside it.

Nothing particularly new in terms of quirks/element properties used, but pretty decent usage of known tricks. I also always appreciate the modern trend of hiding secret rooms behind extra puzzles rather than secret wall passages.
12-19-2022 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
icon Re: Treacle Stew (+4)  
I conquered the hold today. Yay! :thumbsup

My biggest problem with the hold is the lack of variety. Gel outstayed its welcome for me. However, the biggest downfall is also its biggest strength. No hold I played kept its scope so focused. I feel like having mastered gel (somewhat). It's still the scariest element in DROD but not as daunting as when I started.

One negative point for variety but the quality of puzzles make up for it and for the fact that we got a very lengthy official SmS hold in 2022, I think this deservers 10/10. As good as it gets. Thanks Chaco!

Regarding the difficulty. There are no easy rooms with an obvious solution. Obvious ones usually have a twist that make them harder. So, the baseline is quite high. Rooms range in the 7-9 rating. But there were no soul crushing 10 brain rooms that kill the enjoyment. (I don't think these type of rooms belong into official SmS)
Overall I'd give it an average 8.5 brains.

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
12-20-2022 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Treacle Stew (+3)  
Is there a stealth pun in 1st DC's plan?

12-21-2022 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Rabscuttle wrote:
Is there a stealth pun in 1st DC's plan?

;)

12-23-2022 at 12:48 AM
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 115
Became the 13th Gel Authority tonight and conquered the hold, WHOW that was a doozy, but man it's good to be back to playing DROD stuff! Congrats to the team! We'll be taking a break for a bit before trying to go after the secret rooms. Hopefully those are merciful! Fingers crossed!

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-23-2022 at 06:38 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Mastered. Not sure how hard I'm going to push on the post-mastery challenges, but I feel like I've completed enough to give it a fair rating of 10 with 7.5 brains.

Might be behind the wall on the post-mastery level, but I do have one lingering question with potential plot related spoilers:

[Last edited by Ezlo at 12-28-2022 12:19 AM]
12-28-2022 at 12:18 AM
disoriented
It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-28-2022 12:29 AM]
12-28-2022 at 12:28 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Ezlo wrote:

I think it's fun to leave such things to the reader's imagination.

But, if you want my story on the matter...

Also, nice find disoriented, that's the first time I heard that one :)

12-28-2022 at 12:56 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

12-28-2022 at 03:01 AM
komachi
Rank Points: 158
Conquered, amazing gel-based hold where nothing felt really hard but I had a tough time with the execution in several rooms but thanks for H&S could solve all of them.
I think I did an unintended solution because

Problably will go for the secrets to see the juicy post-mastery.
10 for fun and 7.5 brains.
ED: Finished secrets and the post-mastery non-optional rooms, a bit challenging but pretty fun for sure. :thumbsup

[Last edited by komachi at 02-01-2023 10:58 PM]
12-29-2022 at 02:19 PM
Spleen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Postmastered, challenges done - great hold, happy to see a new SMS, and especially one that has gotten me over my gel aversion!

Two questions about development of rooms:

01-19-2023 at 02:48 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Post-Mastery and All Challenges done!!

Great Hold, at first it was a struggle, but once I got my DROD feeling back, it was a lot of fun.
Definitely learned some great things about gel.

Many thanks for creating this fine piece of art!

[Last edited by robin at 02-28-2023 10:39 AM]
02-28-2023 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Treacle Stew (+4)  
I'm glad to see that reactions to this hold have been positive. I think they offer me perspective on my own reaction, which was that in spite of myself, I honestly didn't like it very much.

It's already been noted in this thread that, well, the hold unabashedly focuses on gel. By the time I got about halfway through Level 2, I was already pretty tired of gel puzzles, so I found that focus to be more of a weakness than a strength. There were a number of rooms that not only focused on gel, but focused on some of its more esoteric properties: rooms where you really needed to understand brained gel movement, rooms where you had to leave yourself with cuttable gel, that kind of thing.

Possibly my biggest problem with the hold was how hard it was, in many rooms, to experiment. Level 4: 1W required setting things up, trapping yourself, waiting to see how you did; resetting, setting more things up, trapping yourself... Level 4: 3S1W was particularly egregious in this regard: set up what you think is a solution, and then wait 150 turns to see if it worked. This felt like a recurring theme.

And, well...the voice acting wasn't great. Mostly in terms of sound quality--it frequently just sounded tinny. The on-screen dialogue that went with it was broken into very short lines, which I found made it harder to read: I spent more time in this hold skipping dialogue and clicking the portrait to read what I'd missed than I think I've ever done.

It wasn't all bad. To pick one room that stood out, I thought the last level's 2E was an interesting challenge (perhaps not coincidentally, one much more amenable to experimentation) with a very clever setup. I don't regret playing the hold, overall. I just, you know, didn't particularly like it.
03-03-2023 at 07:25 AM
Tahnen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
:angry TAHNEN SMA--

nah, this is entirely fair
03-03-2023 at 11:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Treacle Stew (2022 Smitemaster's Selection) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com