Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Extinction Doors (Yet another silly custom element)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
IP: Logged

File: Extinction Doors.hold (28 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Extinction Doors (+1)  
So,

Here's another thing that's been lying around in my "hold pile" for a while.

I came up with a dumb idea for doors whose state toggles depending on whether or not a particular kind of entity is in the room (e.g., it toggles when there are/aren't any roaches in the room). They're called extinction doors, and this is more or less a tiny demonstration hold for them that I never completely finished. Though, honestly, I suspect I could just put a blue door and hold end stairs in this and consider it complete.

More info: I made the simplifying decision to specify that extinction doors exist in only two shapes: 1x3 vertical and 3x1 horizontal. Also, there is a different custom character for each of those two orientations for each kind of entity that I made one for. Sometimes their activation lags a turn behind the relevant entity appearing/disappearing from the room because of unavoidable turn processing order shenanigans. They have custom graphics intended to very clearly and wordlessly convey their effect, although if you use them in your hold you may have to ask permission since said custom graphics use the graphics of the default element in question. I'll have to ask permission too, if/whenever I decide to full-publish this mess.

Yes, the "template" of these makes "slayer doors" easy to add if you wanted.

As usual, you're free to use/modify the custom thing as desired, just please give me credit for the originals.

Let me know what you think! Of the element, and/or the puzzles I made using it.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-18-2022 11:38 PM]
10-18-2022 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: Extinction Doors- KituU demos.demo (7.5 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
icon Re: Extinction Doors (+1)  
Hi ! cool name "extinction doors", it is very interesting and creative, quite enjoyable to play .
A little short, would loved to play some more !

upload demos

3N1W , very nice puzzle, maybe the 3x3 hot tiles square is not needed, as the arrows protect enough

2N1E a lot of fun ! maybe not the intended solution, (maybe you want the last soldier killed in the 25,13 hot tile ?)
11-15-2022 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Extinction Doors (0)  
Hey, thanks for taking a look! I forgot I even posted this. As for your comments/demos...

-You actually broke 3N1W a tiny bit; that room is supposed to involve
But I'm not entirely sure how to further enforce that.

-The idea of 2N1E is to use the keg(s) to clean up at the end by blowing it/them up to kill the last eye(s)/soldier; your demo for the challenge does more or less the same thing as mine does by the end. I'm not even sure it's possible to get the last soldier to (25, 13) with the way the doors are set up.

-Your solution to 3N is hilariously more efficient than mine, which goes for keeping 2 of the citizens on the bridge and slowly juggling them back and forth while the other one builds the final 3 stepping stones.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-16-2022 12:14 AM]
11-16-2022 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: ED Do You Know Doors 2N1E Victory.demo (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
Hi!
yes, you can kill the soldier in the 25,13 hot tile. Upload demo.
Seemed that is what the last eye was ?
11-16-2022 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
Okay, I see what you mean. Those bracket-shaped doors are only supposed to be so the soldier "sees" a clear path to enter through when you step on the horns, not really intended for soldiers to actually walk through. The hot tile is there so you can kill that eye yourself with a stick, so you don't have to bother with picking a sword back up after setup. Now I'm wondering whether I should modify the mechanism so you can't hold those doors open...

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-16-2022 09:57 PM]
11-16-2022 at 09:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Extinction Doors (Yet another silly custom element)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com