Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Music Covers?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DyRsOfDh14
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56
IP: Logged
icon DROD Music Covers? (+3)  
Hey all! It's been a long time since I've logged in here, hope everything has been ok for everyone!

So the reason I'm making this thread is because lately I've been having a thing for making video game music covers, mostly in rock or metal style, and DROD is a video game that I hold very dearly to my heart, I wanted to make tribute to it and maybe post it here, but then a question popped up in my head: what is the community consensus on DROD music covers?

For what I've been able to find on a quick search there's only one DROD cover (for "Carve It Deep", if I remember correctly, from Journey to Rooted Hold), and haven't found much else, and I would love to know if people here would be interested in hearing more of those!

Right now, I have a rock cover I've done with some friends of the music from levels 8, 16 and 24 from the original Webfoot version (if I'm not mistaken, it was called "LVL6 AWE.MID" in the original files), if anyone would like to hear, I can post an .mp3 here in this thread, I also would like to know if there's any possibility at all to contact Lars Kristian Aasbrenn (the original composer for Webfoot DROD) or anyone else that could help me in getting a license for a commercial release? I know it's a bit of a long shot, but it's something I was curious about

Anyway, any discussion about DROD music is welcome, I would love to make and share more covers of DROD music in the future (maybe from the original game, or from Erik's, Travelogue's or even Emmett Plant's soundtracks), but only if people are interested in hearing :D
09-24-2022 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Clock
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: DROD Music Covers? (+2)  
I cannot personally speak for the rest of this community, but I feel that DROD is suitably obscure that any public expression of its existence would be much appreciated. I would be interested to hear your renditions; as for soundtracks from future games, it would very probably be a good idea to get permission from the original artists first before posting.
09-26-2022 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Music Covers? (+3)  
Wow, I only just now saw this.

For the songs that I wrote, I'm good to grant permission, but the rights holder is Mike Rimer, so you'd need permission from him.

The exception would be the DROD:AE songs. Those were put in the public domain.

The songs by Emmett Plant, Jon Sonnenberg, and Lars Kristian Aasbrenn were licensed to Caravel so you'd need permission from them for those songs. My suggestion is to use LinkedIn to find them.

I think everyone is likely to be agreeable if you can manage to contact them. But best not to assume. For Jon there may be complexities around record labels/ASCAP for example.

Don't let the dry legal talk dispirit you. I for one would love love love to hear some covers.

-Erik

11-08-2022 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Awesome! I'd love to hear some covers too.

I hereby grant my permission for the songs Erik wrote.

I'd like to hear what you've already produced.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-09-2022 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DyRsOfDh14
icon Re: DROD Music Covers? (+6)  
Hey so I posted this and kind of forgot about it haha, these replies made me so happy! I'm so glad to hear you're interested, recently I haven't had much time to produce any covers of DROD music specifically, but I'm sharing the cover that I mentioned earlier in the first post, which is a cover of a Lars Kristian Aasbrenn song which was done in April of 2022

EDIT: file might be a little too big to attach directly to the message so I'm using a drive link instead:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11TixrnCWGT6s4bxcHKLQ5O6rX_-OwKUi/view?usp=sharing

This was done with the help of two friends of mine, one helped me playing bass while the other provided some synth melodies, while I did all of the arrangement, mix and guitars. The original Webfoot DROD is one of the first games I ever played and its soundtrack is very nostalgic to me, so that's why I wanted to cover this song first. I'm not 100% satisfied with the mix and it's something I'd like to fix eventually, but I hope you all can enjoy it regardless!

P.S. The title is taken from the metadata of the original .mid files of the game, so this is (possibly) the original title of the song? I'd like to hear more on that if anyone knows!

[Last edited by DyRsOfDh14 at 01-13-2023 11:02 PM]
01-13-2023 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Music Covers? (+1)  
DyRsOfDh14 wrote:
Hey so I posted this

DyRsOfDh14;445489!!!!!!

So great! With the electric guitars and synths, the style reminds me a lot of anime intro themes.

Immediately downloaded to a safe place for future relistening.

Thanks so much for sharing.

-Erik

01-14-2023 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218
icon Re: DROD Music Covers? (0)  
Awesome ! liked it so much, also downloaded the file. Thank you
01-14-2023 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DyRsOfDh14

File: Voices from the Beneath.mp3 (2.5 MB)
Downloaded 5 times.
License: Public Domain
It's been a while since I made a DROD cover so I thought it was time to correct that (:

I made a sort of orchestral/metal arrangement of the title theme from JTRH, the Architect's Oath by Emmett Plant, it's short, but I tried putting my own spin on it, hope you like it (:
01-21-2024 at 02:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Music Covers?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com