Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Throw Rock (A puzzle game I made!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ThemsAllTook
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 207
IP: Logged
icon Throw Rock (+11)  
On a whim, I joined a game jam a week ago. The project took on a life of its own, and turned into a little puzzler that I'm extremely proud of:

DROD players should feel reasonably at home. I also drew some inspiration from Bean and Nothingness and bits and pieces of other puzzle games I've played. My biggest lament is that I didn't have time to build more levels - I think there's still a lot of untapped potential in the mechanics, and I'm already considering doing an expansion at some point.

Anyway, the game is free, so if it looks like it might be your kind of thing, give it a try and let me know what you think!

https://themsalltook.itch.io/throw-rock

[Last edited by ThemsAllTook at 07-09-2022 05:21 PM]
07-09-2022 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Throw Rock (+1)  
Nice game!

Had a fun hour and a bit playing it; beat all 16 levels. Finding them was a fun challenge too, but not too hard once I realized how.
07-11-2022 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Throw Rock (0)  
Can confirm it's fun! Haven't finished it yet but certainly will.

07-11-2022 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
cool. it's like a standalone puzzlescript app.

I really wanted space to be "wait" - just a few puzzles in - enjoying the telegraphing.

just got overwhelmed at the second complex blue/red level

will post back later.

07-11-2022 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ThemsAllTook
Rank Points: 207
Looks like the control settings are too well hidden. The escape key will open a menu where you can change a bunch of stuff including key bindings. There's gamepad support too if that's your thing! I'm thinking about ways to make this more discoverable somehow in a future version.
07-11-2022 at 07:42 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Throw Rock (+2)  
And made it through all the puzzles! Very lovely game, I am guessing it's also working as a kind of a showcase of all the capabilities of the tools you wrote?

Additional feedback, spoilered just in case:
Click here to view the secret text

And that would be it.

07-12-2022 at 10:01 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Throw Rock (+2)  
I made a video playthrough of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htzqa-M4Nug

It turns out half the fun of playing a game is making up your own names for stuff.

07-16-2022 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Throw Rock (+1)  
Very neat game with really cool puzzle design! A few thoughts, some slightly spoilery:

Click here to view the secret text

Apart from the minor criticisms, I really liked this game a lot and I was surprised just how much puzzle potential the simple premise had. Would definitely play an expansion if you were to continue on this!

EDIT: One thing I totally forgot, I would have liked some sort of indicator where a rock would go from a square even if I don't have one in hand. Counting to six is hard, there's only five fingers on my left hand and I need my right one to play the game!

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 07-18-2022 02:12 PM]
07-18-2022 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Throw Rock (A puzzle game I made!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com